Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkauftheil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Long time reader her and usually any questions i have are quickly solved with searches. Great community btw.

But i am searching for an app that will automatically take any texts i receive and speak them out. Really looking for something from the app store. I currently have a j/b 5 (on 6.1.2) and use Aloud to handle this. But with ios 7 around the corner and the TTS feature the only reason i j/b, i have been searching for a native solution.

I use the TTS feature to push the texts to my bluetooth headset when im on my motorcycle and Aloud really works flawlessly. If anyone knows of a non jailbreak solution, i would really appreciate it.

I do remember reading a while back that native apps were not around for this due to something ab Apple not allowing 3rd parties to access the SMS database on the phone. Didn't know if that has changed or not.

Thank you

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Long time reader her and usually any questions i have are quickly solved with searches. Great community btw.

But i am searching for an app that will automatically take any texts i receive and speak them out. Really looking for something from the app store. I currently have a j/b 5 (on 6.1.2) and use Aloud to handle this. But with ios 7 around the corner and the TTS feature the only reason i j/b, i have been searching for a native solution.

I use the TTS feature to push the texts to my bluetooth headset when im on my motorcycle and Aloud really works flawlessly. If anyone knows of a non jailbreak solution, i would really appreciate it.

I do remember reading a while back that native apps were not around for this due to something ab Apple not allowing 3rd parties to access the SMS database on the phone. Didn't know if that has changed or not.

Thank you

Siri reads text messages and also you can enable the "speak selection" option under accessibility and just highlight any length of text and it will read it back to you.

tkauftheil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
yeah, i experimented with the accessibility options, but thats more of a manual solution. and if I have my hands on the phone, i can just read it then. i need something for when the phone is in my pocket. Aloud is perfect for that bc u can chose which applications it works with.

For example, I'll be rolling down the hwy and Joe text me, over my BT i hear "Message From joe - blah blah..." Or if Someone calls, I'll hear "Call from so-n-so".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.