Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:30 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iCloud Keychain Removed in iOS 7 GM

Apple appears to have removed iCloud Keychain support from the iOS 7 Golden Master (GM), which was seeded to developers yesterday. While iCloud preferences previously listed iCloud Keychain, the option has now been removed, suggesting that the initial public release of iOS 7 will not include the function.

iCloud Keychain is also newly tagged as "Coming soon" on Apple's iOS 7 feature page and while it is unclear why it has been removed from the GM, it is likely that Apple has chosen to provide the feature alongside OS X Mavericks, which is slated to be released later this year.

First introduced at WWDC, iCloud Keychain is Apple's new cross-device password manager, designed to share and store passwords across all of Apple's products running iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks. In addition to passwords, iCloud Keychain also stores website logins, credit card information, and Wi-Fi networks.

While Mavericks will not be available until later in the fall, iOS 7 will be released to the public on September 18, ahead of the release of both the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c.

Article Link: iCloud Keychain Removed in iOS 7 GM
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:32 AM   #2
orbital~debris
macrumors regular

Glad it's still 'coming soon' and not cancelled!
orbital~debris is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:32 AM   #3
peteullo
macrumors regular

Well that's a bummer! I was just starting to really use that!
peteullo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Lord Hamsa
macrumors 6502

If it isn't ready for primetime, then it isn't ready. For something as significant as passwords, I'd rather they get it right the first time than rush out something to make a deadline.
Lord Hamsa is online now   45 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:33 AM   #5
jreed91
macrumors regular

Makes sense it's more of a mavericks feature anyway
jreed91 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:34 AM   #6
csalm87
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to csalm87
Probably won't see it until the release of Mavericks.
csalm87 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:34 AM   #7
maverick808
macrumors 65816

It kind of makes no sense without Mavericks. I think it'll appear via a minor update on the day Mavericks is publicly released.
maverick808 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:35 AM   #8
ejrizo
macrumors 6502

Very interested in this feature... I have been using 1Password for all my passwords for years now... only downfall i see to this is that it doesn't work on PC's
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:35 AM   #9
trip1ex
macrumors 68000

The fingerprint thing would seem to make this walking obsolete. But guess that is hardware only. And sites still require passwords
trip1ex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:35 AM   #10
macaddict06
macrumors regular

A little irked, but then again I suppose for passwords I would prefer they take their time.

At the same time though, I have to admit that working hard on security, passwords and fingerprints during a time when more and more news of the level to which the NSA has been utilizing those resources really diminishes the impact of those advances.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816

This is one feature that I am really looking forward to. I wish it would at least allow me to sync between my iPad & iPhone until they have mavericks ready, but I understand if they need to release both at the same time.

Hopefully both will be ready soon.
Richdmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:36 AM   #12
Badandy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaddict06 View Post
A little irked, but then again I suppose for passwords I would prefer they take their time.

At the same time though, I have to admit that working hard on security, passwords and fingerprints during a time when more and more news of the level to which the NSA has been utilizing those resources really diminishes the impact of those advances.
Protip: Don't store them in the cloud.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:36 AM   #13
macaddict06
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post
The fingerprint thing would seem to make this walking obsolete.
You can't login to Netflix, your bank, or any of a million other places with your fingerprint at the moment, so no, it won't.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:36 AM   #14
apunkrockmonk
macrumors 6502a

I've run iOS 7 since the first beta but this was something I left off and intended on leaving off until it was final.

Too risky to use a beta password manager. IMHO at least.
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz|8GB|256GB SSD|10.10
apunkrockmonk is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Tmelon
macrumors 6502a

I'm sure they're waiting until Mavericks for that. A 7.1 beta for developers will probably be out at some point soon to continue testing it. My guess is that 7.1, Mavericks, and the new iPads will all launch at the same time. Maybe the Mac Pros too.
Tmelon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:38 AM   #16
tdgrn
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to tdgrn Send a message via MSN to tdgrn Send a message via Yahoo to tdgrn Send a message via Skype™ to tdgrn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrizo View Post
Very interested in this feature... I have been using 1Password for all my passwords for years now... only downfall i see to this is that it doesn't work on PC's
They have a PC version, I have been using it at work for over a year and a half.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:39 AM   #17
Smiles77
macrumors newbie

It's somewhat expected, to me. I've been using both Mavericks and iOS 7 since DP2, and there's been a lot of issues with resets and automatic disabling. Having upgraded both devices (Air & iPad mini) at once and having to re-enable iCloud keychain led to a required reset since I didn't have an active device with it enabled on it. This was both frustrating and required a silly workaround (upgrading one at a time and re-activating before updating the other device). It would be especially messy if someone only had one device, as you were resetting every update (thus losing all your "secure" passwords you can't remember).

In the latest update to Mavericks, it now has you enter a 4-digit pin so you can reactivate it on same devices. This fixes the biggest problem, but I can see how Apple would much rather introduce it side-by-side with Mac and iOS devices as it affects your usage on both. Imagine using Keychain-provided passwords on your iOS device, and then not being able to sign in on your Mac. Definite problem.
Smiles77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:39 AM   #18
ifij775
macrumors regular

I thought this with fingerprint access would be the killer feature of iOS 7. I'm frankly baffled that they didn't make a bigger deal out of this.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:39 AM   #19
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

It would make sense for Apple to hold off on this feature until Mavericks. I am not concerned.
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:40 AM   #20
allthingschris
macrumors newbie

I've been running into a number of websites that says "this site has asked iCloud not to store your password", which makes it impossible to use the keychain feature anyway. I wonder if they've been facing pushback from external sources?
allthingschris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:40 AM   #21
bbeagle
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaddict06 View Post
You can't login to Netflix, your bank, or any of a million other places with your fingerprint at the moment, so no, it won't.
Your fingerprint will be your password to the 'keychain' of all your other passwords, including Netflix, your bank, etc. Much like 1password works (but with a fingerprint password instead of a text password)

So, yes, you will be able to get into Netflix/your bank with your fingerprint.
bbeagle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:40 AM   #22
snappyfool
macrumors 65816

They need more time to put the NSA backdoor in.
snappyfool is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:41 AM   #23
ejrizo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdgrn View Post
They have a PC version, I have been using it at work for over a year and a half.
I was reffereing to the iCloud Keychain.... I use 1Password on my iPhone, iPad, Mac and PC's

I think a password manager has to be cross platform for it to really work.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:41 AM   #24
xero9
macrumors 6502

After their developer program breach I'm a little uneasy storing such information with them anyway.
xero9 is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:42 AM   #25
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

A launch along side OS X Mavs AND further refinement of incorporation of Touch ID with the keychain I'd wager are the key reasons for the delay.

No biggie - glad it's still coming soon! Looks like a nifty feature. My mortgage company will sure appreciate it since I call them every month because I forgot my password....

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion