Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bitmin1991

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Just judging from this article , any move that Apple makes is criticized by Android site and users.

The article states that $99 is a premium price. Really!? I fail to see how $99 is considered a premium price especially when fandroids are paying triple that for the Galaxy S4 and double that for the HTC One.

And to claim that the 5C announcement "won't change anything". Right, an iPhone that will start attracting even more customers won't change anything.

Android sites/users are something else.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
Just judging from this article , any move that Apple makes is criticized by Android site and users.

The article states that $99 is a premium price. Really!? I fail to see how $99 is considered a premium price especially when fandroids are paying triple that for the Galaxy S4 and double that for the HTC One.

And to claim that the 5C announcement "won't change anything". Right, an iPhone that will start attracting even more customers won't change anything.

its the same price the iphone 5 would have been sold at had it not been made redundant.

i think the author of the article expected a product which would better penetrate the developing countries' market. remember $99 applies to a two year contract in the US - in india, china, south america, etc. that price will most likely increase (even on contract) AND the purchasing power of people is not as high as in the US. also, not everyone - even in the US - can afford to commit to a two year contract.

and i dont think its a criticism - i think its stating things just like they are. he acknowledges this new toy by apple will sell millions...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Maybe you ask the non Android users in the main iPhone section about the 5C price, since most of iPhone users are complaining about the 5C pricing too. :cool:

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Fandroids complain about everything Apple fanboys do and Apple fanboys complain about everything fandroids do. Its just the way the world works.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...ng-product-designs-from-appliance-maker-dyson
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...with-145m-payout-to-microsoft-for-frand-abuse
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...store-confidence-with-its-concerned-investors
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...alaxy-note-3-gear-media-blitz-in-times-square

Apple sites/user are something else. The first link shows how desperate they are to make negative comments about Apple's competitors.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
That's why many of us frequent this sub forum in particular. I've found that most of the users have a fairly open mind, many of us owning at least one device on each platform. Obviously some users like Android more and others like iOS better and voice this opinion. But it goes both ways... look at some of the ridiculous comments about Android and its OEMs (especially Samsung) that you find on the Front Page and in the iPhone forums.

As for the pricing of the 5C, many people were expecting it to be Apple's push into the lower market to draw people into the Apple ecosystem, not essentially be a replacement for the 5. That is why people are upset about the price, myself included. Most people around here felt the same way about the Moto X price as well. In this case I think you may be reading too far into the matter, people were just expecting a lower price and were disappointed as a result.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
And yet the Moto X is $199 but the iPhone 5C is overpriced at $99? Go figure peeps on the internet.....

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
That's why many of us frequent this sub forum in particular. I've found that most of the users have a fairly open mind, many of us owning at least one device on each platform. Obviously some users like Android more and others like iOS better and voice this opinion. But it goes both ways... look at some of the ridiculous comments about Android and its OEMs (especially Samsung) that you find on the Front Page and in the iPhone forums.

As for the pricing of the 5C, many people were expecting it to be Apple's push into the lower market to draw people into the Apple ecosystem, not essentially be a replacement for the 5. That is why people are upset about the price, myself included. Most people around here felt the same way about the Moto X price as well. In this case I think you may be reading too far into the matter, people were just expecting a lower price and were disappointed as a result.

I see your point about being disappointed in the 5c pricing. I really don't have issue with it being $99 on contract. My main issue is off contract pricing, if it was $299 / $329 or even $399 off contract, I think there would be much more enthusiasm for it, not $549!

My mother is due for an upgrade, she has a 4. I would tell her to go seek out a $99 iPhone 5 before she considers a iPhone 5C for the same price. She deserves the premium which I still think the 5 has over 5C.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

Hate to tell you this, but every Apple site bashes every Android move as well. Welcome to seeing both sides of the fence.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I see your point about being disappointed in the 5c pricing. I really don't have issue with it being $99 on contract. My main issue is off contract pricing, if it was $299 / $329 or even $399 off contract, I think there would be much more enthusiasm for it, not $549!

Apple is still charging $450 for the unlocked 16GB iPhone 4S. Meanwhile the 16GB Nexus 4 is $250, and it has a larger, higher resolution screen, a faster quad core processor and more RAM(no more reloading browser tabs, YAY!).

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Like everyone has said. This is what happens when either android or Apple announce anything. Just wait until Google announces the next nexus. Apple fans will be trashing that.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Fandroids complain about everything Apple fanboys do and Apple fanboys complain about everything fandroids do. Its just the way the world works.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Most Apple users are largely indifferent to what goes on in the android, or windows world. I'm not talking forums cranking out link bait silliness but actual users.

The android community on a whole is completely taken with iPhone users and Apple.

Android forums tend to have few Apple users on a crusade. Apple forums are overflowing with android lovers and zealots.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I wouldn't be so sure.

Most Apple users are largely indifferent to what goes on in the android, or windows world. I'm not talking forums cranking out link bait silliness but actual users.

The android community on a whole is completely taken with iPhone users and Apple.

Android forums tend to have few Apple users on a crusade. Apple forums are overflowing with android lovers and zealots.

From my experience this behavior is pretty evenly distributed across both groups. Some folks just don't get the other side.

I sold my Mac a few months ago and I miss it. My iPad is great and my HTC one is awesome. I also think my PC is perfect for gaming and the work I do.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I wouldn't be so sure.

I have to agree with T5BRICK above ^^^

It really is fairly evenly distributed. It just depends on what side you are looking at. I find it obvious that you would say Apple forums are overflowing with fandroids as, you know, this is an Apple forum. But go over to Android Central or Android Forums and it is quite different. Same thing with XDA. But then come back to Apple Insider or Cult of Mac and you get what you are getting here. It really is pretty even.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I have to agree with T5BRICK above ^^^

It really is fairly evenly distributed. It just depends on what side you are looking at. I find it obvious that you would say Apple forums are overflowing with fandroids as, you know, this is an Apple forum. But go over to Android Central or Android Forums and it is quite different. Same thing with XDA. But then come back to Apple Insider or Cult of Mac and you get what you are getting here. It really is pretty even.

Would agree, iMore is an android bash fest.

The thrashing really does go back and forth. The Samsung sub-forum gets a new thread everyday of "the iPhone is a superior device" over at Android Central.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Actuallly....

Appleinsider is one of the worst fanboy sites ever. I got banned from it for speaking the truth!:eek:

Agreed and so did I. There are some real psychotic weirdos on that site.

You get banned for just not being a Apple fanboy. I like Apple gear and own plenty of it but just don't have blind faith in them or any company. Not to mention it also has a fair amount of racism and bigotry that goes unchecked.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
The author wasn't exactly bashing the product. He was simply stating he had hoped the iPhone 5C would be a cheap off-contract phone so it would force other Android device manufacturers to start creating better cheap devices as well.

Stop talking as if Apple-centered news sites are sooo much better. It's all the same. Of course, this is just another thread to spark a nasty flame debate.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
The author wasn't exactly bashing the product. He was simply stating he had hoped the iPhone 5C would be a cheap off-contract phone so it would force other Android device manufacturers to start creating better cheap devices as well.

Stop talking as if Apple-centered news sites are sooo much better. It's all the same. Of course, this is just another thread to spark a nasty flame debate.

I agree in many ways.

I think most people ''want'' the iPhone to be a strong competitor. I noticed how almost everyone admitted that the Galaxy Gear was kind of rushed and Apple more than likely would have changed the wrist-game. I just like when Apple redefines everything to make others compete and vice versa. Just like the quality of Apple and HTC designed phones made Samsung at least 'think' about what they have done. :D

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010

My mother is due for an upgrade, she has a 4. I would tell her to go seek out a $99 iPhone 5 before she considers a iPhone 5C for the same price. She deserves the premium which I still think the 5 has over 5C.

I didn't expect it to be that cheap. I was hoping $399 for 8GB and $449 for 16GB. I would have bought that to switch back and forth between my GS3. I don't know $549 seems like a little too much for me as I'm still in college and only work a part time job during the school year. I could have barely justified it at $449, but $549 is too much for me. And the plastic isn't a factor for me. I like the feel of my S3 and have dropped it many times without damage (finally cracked the screen after like the 5th drop, my dumbass fault). I think Apple missed an opportunity to really gain back some marketshare. But then again I'm sure Apple isn't in their position they are now by listening to people that only have a few business classes under their belt

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I think it's very childish how people argue over phones. I mean, really, it's just a cellphone? Heck, I'd be happy with a flip, as long as I could make phone calls.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Yeah, there's no one complaining about the price of the Moto X. No one.

Thats fairly accurate actually. At this point all the Moto X price complaining is nearly over. The majority of Moto X price complaining only lasted a couple weeks. Apple has been criticized for prices for decades.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I wonder why.

Good question.

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/383/macprohpworkstationcomp.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img14/7995/hpvsapplepricemba.jpg

Although those are over a year old now, the basic principle still applies.

In regards to the 5C, I don't know why you are all bent out of shape. If the 5C didn't exist, the iPhone 5 would drop to the 5C's price point. You wouldn't complain then. And the difference here is that with the 5C becoming a brand new product this year, it is much more likely that it will get an extra year of OS support from Apple compared to the iPhone 5.

Anyways, we are getting off topic. The original reason I responded to you was to explain to you that the Moto X really isn't being criticized for its price much anymore despite your sarcasm saying otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.