Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jthall502

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Louisville, KY
Hey guys I'm trying to figure out whats going on here. I bought a new late 2012 iMac a few months ago and something was wrong with the internal wifi so I had to exchange it at my apple retail store. Before the wifi died I was on this thing for hours at a time completely comfortable.

I might be tripping but the replacement mac they gave me seems to be hurting my eyes really bad. I can't even type a 500 word post with out having to take a break. I've adjusted the brightness but it doesn't seem to make much difference. The replacement mac is in the same location as the other one was...

Does this make any logical sense. Could the new mac I received have a screen that is any different than the first mac I had? And if so would that have anything to do with why the new one is murdering my eyes!

Also there is a dead pixel in the upper center of the screen, along with VERY slight yellow shading towards the bottom of the screen....

Last edited:

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Return it. The dead pixel is a non-issue - just tell them you bought one and all was fine, but with the replacement your eyes hurt. Its like the refresh rate is off... which would be very strange. Let them deal with it.

Jthall502

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Louisville, KY
Return it. The dead pixel is a non-issue - just tell them you bought one and all was fine, but with the replacement your eyes hurt. Its like the refresh rate is off... which would be very strange. Let them deal with it.

Something tells me it wont be that easy.

----------

And I still cant for the life of me, figure out why the replacement mac is hurting my eyes but the original I had did not

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hey guys I'm trying to figure out whats going on here. I bought a new late 2012 iMac a few months ago and something was wrong with the internal wifi so I had to exchange it at my apple retail store. Before the wifi died I was on this thing for hours at a time completely comfortable.

I might be tripping but the replacement mac they gave me seems to be hurting my eyes really bad. I can't even type a 500 word post with out having to take a break. I've adjusted the brightness but it doesn't seem to make much difference. The replacement mac is in the same location as the other one was...

Does this make any logical sense. Could the new mac I received have a screen that is any different than the first mac I had? And if so would that have anything to do with why the new one is murdering my eyes!

Also there is a dead pixel in the upper center of the screen, along with VERY slight yellow shading towards the bottom of the screen....

I know from personal experience that LCD displays can have that problem. I once got a brand new monitor at work (not an Apple one), and I felt as if it has smacked me in the face. I don't know _what_ the problem was, and several monitors from the same manufacturer were fine. Most likely that problem is only present on your iMac, not on others that are supposedly identical. Take the iMac back.

Jthall502

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Louisville, KY
I took it I'm today and they told me they would replace my screen. I'm wondering, is the backlight and LCD display all one piece on the late 2012 model?

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I might be tripping but the replacement mac they gave me seems to be hurting my eyes really bad. I can't even type a 500 word post with out having to take a break. ....

Did you visit a doctor? You may have to replace your glasses...Apple builds only high quality products! :cool::apple:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I took it I'm today and they told me they would replace my screen. I'm wondering, is the backlight and LCD display all one piece on the late 2012 model?
I might be tripping but the replacement mac they gave me seems to be hurting my eyes really bad. I can't even type a 500 word post with out having to take a break.

I thought they would just make it easy for you and exchange the computer again.
You said you type "500 Word Posts"? Are you for real? No wonder your eyes hurt. My eyes would hurt just reading someone's post with 500 words in it. :D

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Read this first.

Apple's pixel formula is like Maxwell's equations.
I've recently had a visit to the Amsterdam Apple Store. The manager there told me there's now a zero tolerance policy on dead pixels since display technology has improved so much over the years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.