Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shinerkyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
Texas
With the Apple September 10th event being revolved around the new iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s Apple forgot to let eager followers, and those looking to upgrade their desktops, in a state of loss.

So when will the, presumably Late 2013 iMac 27" be announced, and more so released? The 4th generation Intel processors and WiFi ac compatibility have me waiting to buy a new iMac 27", but how long will I have to wait to know the specs?

Anyone have any inkling on when and what to expect?

Nov 28, 2010
located
September has almost always been for iPods (left out) and lately iPhones and iPads (left out), October is the more likely month (according to past years and the October being that month) for new Macs, if there will be a new iMac though, is another question. They could just wait for Broadwell.

Nov 28, 2010
located
With the 2012 iMac they didn't wait for Haswell and went with Ivy Bridge, so it's doubtful they'll wait now.

Since Haswell was still far away, they went with the current generation CPUs.

They probably will not wait, but the Haswell update will not bring much to the table for an iMac.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Since Haswell was still far away, they went with the current generation CPUs.

They probably will not wait, but the Haswell update will not bring much to the table for an iMac.
Back in 2012 Haswell was just as far away as Broadwell is now. Broadwell probably even further away at this point.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Back in 2012 Haswell was just as far away as Broadwell is now. Broadwell probably even further away at this point.

Haswell is more of a mobile upgrade though. iMacs won't benefit from it too much. I could see Apple just waiting it out, honestly.

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
Haswell is more of a mobile upgrade though. iMacs won't benefit from it too much. I could see Apple just waiting it out, honestly.

It's the gfx card (1 gig ram minimum) and storage upgrades (fusion as standard?) that I'm waiting for. I couldn't care less about Haswell. It's the same story with many that are waiting on the iMac update.

theRevIsNotDead

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
It's the gfx card (1 gig ram minimum) and storage upgrades (fusion as standard?) that I'm waiting for. I couldn't care less about Haswell.

Seconded. Personally, I'm looking for ac WiFi, cheaper SSD, and graphics card updates. Those are worth the wait for me.

Not worried about Haswell; in fact if I thought that was the only change I'd just buy an iMac now instead of waiting.

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
The next chip upgrade for the IMAC will be broadwell (I am guessing)

There may be a silent update with newer video cards or different hdd configurations.

The updates for Macs should be the ProBooks and the NEW PRO

Just my two cents

Tom

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
The display was the delaying factor last time, and it could be right now if they are making improvements.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
Of course they will update it with the Haswell. Besides the Haswell itself, there are wi-fi 802.11ac, PCIe SSDs and 700m graphic cards out there already, and there is no way Apple will wait an year more to bring all of these to the iMacs. In addition, the more time passed since the last update, the less people will want to purchase the computer. So even if the only updated thing inside the iMacs would be the Haswell CPU (without the other internals), Apple would still do it simply to warm up the interest about it.

Last edited:

zerofour

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011
UK
Am I wrong or do I get the feeling that Apple have been sluggish in their Mac product releases? Are they prioritising other devices do people think? Is it because of the move towards mobile / tablet devices or am I just wrong in my impression? I've got a 2007 iMac that's OK but slowing down, so am intrigued by any either iMac (or Mac Pro) releases this year.

theRevIsNotDead

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Am I wrong or do I get the feeling that Apple have been sluggish in their Mac product releases? Are they prioritising other devices do people think? Is it because of the move towards mobile / tablet devices or am I just wrong in my impression? I've got a 2007 iMac that's OK but slowing down, so am intrigued by any either iMac (or Mac Pro) releases this year.

You're not wrong, actually you're right on the money. But it's no secret. Apple has been prioritizing iOS over OS X for a long time. iOS devices are their big sell, much more than their Macs.

Even their Macs are becoming more and more portable, and more like iOS devices.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
When they didn't announce any upgrades I decided that it was time to upgrade my wife's 2008 21" iMac (4GB RAM) with a 27" (3.4GHz i7, 16GB RAM-2X8GB, NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5).

It should be arriving next week.

She'll be pooping her pants over her new iMac. And while my bank account recovers over the next few months, I'm hoping a few upgrades will come along before when I'm ready to afford the upgrade to my iMac (same specs as her old one).

Sneaky.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I sold my dads 2009 model gave it to him for X-mas that year base for $650 on boston craiglist. Bought him a base model 21.5 inch late 2012 (thin) iMac for $900 on Ebay. He is insanely happy with it other than he doesn't get why they got rid of the CD drive but then remembered he had never used his CD drive in the 3 1/2 years he had his original iMac.

If you can get a deal for the late 2012 used or refurbished then do it. All of them still are new enough to get apple care. I have dropped a plant while drunk on my 19 inch macbook pro before they switched to intel. The computer was over 2 years old and Apple gave me a brand new 17 inch macbook pro intel core 2 duo. Apple care is pretty awesome tho I never get it any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.