Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
I'm trying to run some VST/AU audio plugins/instruments on my old Mac Mini G4 (PPC) running OS X Lion. Can anybody suggest any that should run on this?

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
Are you sure you did't meant OS X Leopard (10.5)? :confused:

By the way: I'm searching for decent VST/AU-plugins myself.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
The only thing I could advise is, try to get hold on an older version of Logic Pro (with Soundtrack Pro included) (I think the last version that run on ppc was 8). It has some decent plugins included!

Paulkeys12599

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Some free ones you can investigate are HostX, Ugly vsti interface, VSTshell, Multi VST shell, and VSTlord.

VSTihost by Defective Records looks impressive but is not free ($35).

Good luck!

Paulkeys12599

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
I should mention -- some of the hosts I mentioned handle only one VST at a time. You could use an old version of Soundflower to route the sound output of the VST instrument into, for example, a multi-effects unit (e.g., Luxonix LFX-1310).

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Thanks! Much appreciated.

For reference, I had already tried HostX (works but kinda limited/ugly) and VSTlord (worked once but then wouldn't draw any of its windows via VNC (I'm running the Mac Mini remotely...). Will give the others a go! :)

Nova77

May 12, 2011
A little off topic since you have a mac mini but....

I've tried garageband, logic express 7 and pro 8, pro tools, and others, and from what I can tell the most efficient on PPC is reaper. It takes full advantage of dual cpus because it uses SMP (symetric multi processing).... and heck you can add twice as much tracks and effects vs logic pro 8. If you require CPU power and have dual cpus go for this one!!

Its also the last commercial DAW still supporting PPC macs on the current version. (If not its one of the very very few)

Get latest version with super long trial on official site

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.