Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Hi all, I need something cleared up by those with experience in purchasing apple products. I purchased a macbook air through education discount on the 9th of september, I was told I was eligible for a free 70£ gift card even though the 6th had passed. I checked my basket and the overall price didn't count the gift card, just the laptop. I was obviously quite pleased.

The money was taken out of my account. The gift card dispatched a couple days ago and the laptop dispatched this morning. However, I checked my account balance and I was charged £70 by the online apple store and my balance was back to before I bought the laptop. I find this quite odd, since the laptops was dispatched this morning and currently in Shangai.. Is this normal? can I expect the money to be taken out again?

I didn't receive any notification of it being re-debited etc. It just showed up on my balance. I'm now thinking the 70£ withdrawal was for the 70£ gift card, but again that's odd.. since the gift card was dispatched a couple days ago and it was supposed to be free.

Ultimately, I have a Macbook air and a 70£ gift card on the way and I've only been charged 70£ by apple.
Having been charged previously but somehow the money is now back in my account.
Again, anyone experienced something like this? should I just wait a while to see if they take the money out or should I contact apple immediately.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What should happen (if everything works as intended) is that the price of the MacBook is £70 less than normal, and you are charged the full price for the gift card. Probably so that people can't buy a MacBook, get a free gift card, return the MacBook and keep the gift card.

I'd wait a bit, and check your next bank statement whether everything is as it should be.

teffers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2013
United Kingdom
Definitely wait. I had a similar thing happen a few years ago when I bought a Dell BTO laptop. Money 'reserved' from my account, then a few days later the the funds were available again - I assumed the order didn't go through because I'd had no confirmation emails at all, so bought another laptop elsewhere.

7 days later , on despatch, they re-applied the charge and I ended up with two laptops.

So to recap, just wait a while for the transaction to be re-applied. I realise the order now says despatched but just be on the safe side.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
They send 2 charges.

One for the computer minus the price of the gift card and one for the price of the gift card itself. Just went through this with mine and it took me a minute to figure it out.

Don't worry, they'll get their money and you'll get your computer. :)

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
The previous posters are correct - the price of your MBA that you were charged should be the original price less the value of the free gift card. And then you'll have a separate charge for the full value of the gift card. I just did this back in August and this is how it worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.