Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:26 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Redesigned RSS Feed Viewer 'Reeder 2' Launches for iOS Devices

Popular RSS feed viewer Reeder has launched Reeder 2 for iOS devices, marking the return of the service to the App Store since it went without major updates following the shutdown of Google Reader this past July. The new app sports a revamped design and is compatible with numerous RSS services such as Feedly and Readability, as well as sharing services such as Instapaper, Facebook, and App.net. Gesture-based navigation and view modes with filters are also included within the app's settings.

Quote:
Reeder is a RSS reader and client for Feedbin, Feedly, Feed Wrangler, Fever, and Readability.

- Feedbin syncing
- Feedly syncing
- Feed Wrangler syncing
- Fever syncing
- Readability syncing
- Local/standalone RSS (no sync)
- Support for multiple accounts

Sharing services:
- QUOTE.fm (recommend and read later)
- Buffer
- Readability
- Instapaper
- Pocket
- Evernote
- Pinboard
- Zootool
- Delicious
- App.net
- Twitter
- Facebook
Reeder 2 is $4.99 for the iPhone and iPad and is available now in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Redesigned RSS Feed Viewer 'Reeder 2' Launches for iOS Devices
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

The Mac version soon I hope. Looks good.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:27 AM   #3
egoistaxx9
macrumors 6502

nice, but feedly is by far the best RSS reader i've ever seen.
egoistaxx9 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:35 AM   #4
brnmbrns
macrumors newbie

I don't really see how this is any different than the latest Reeder 1. Don't get me wrong, I used Reeder every hour of every day for the past couple years, but this doesn't seem like it warrants a full price tag for what appears to be just a new coat of paint.
brnmbrns is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:36 AM   #5
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Good to see. I almost thought Reeder 2 was never going to see the light of day. I've been using Mr. Reeder which I've gotten pretty used to on the iPad.

Hopefully a Mac version will be available soon. I've been using Feedbin inside of a Fluid created 'app'.
ValSalva is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:40 AM   #6
okrelayer
macrumors 6502a

Love reeder. iPhone app is wonderful. However, Mr. Reader is now the iPad king. Love the viewing options for each feed!
okrelayer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:42 AM   #7
daneoni
macrumors G4

Don't feel like paying for this again. Will move to Feedly on iPhone and Mr Reader on iPad.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:49 AM   #8
strabes
macrumors regular

Kind of lame to charge for an app update especially when the original was $5 if I recall correctly. I use the original every day and I guess I'll stick to it since it does support freely now.
strabes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

Why did he just discontinue reeder for ipad and remove it from the app store? He updated the iphone version with feedly etc but not the ipad version and releases reeder 2.0 instead which is hardly a redesign or worthy of another purchase. I'm not paying again. I'll continue using the old reeder for iphone and move to mr reader for ipad which looks a lot better.
Bathplug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:09 AM   #10
pinchies
macrumors newbie

Ok, so what's new? What are existing users getting? To charge $5 just for iOS7 support is a bit rich! Not impressed!
pinchies is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:11 AM   #11
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

My favorite reader. I don't mind paying $5 for the new version. I use Feedly to sync my RSS feeds, but I don't use the Feedly app. Been using Reeder since forever and it does everything I want it to do.

Paying $5.00 every few years isn't a big deal for me. I can now add new feeds to Feedly through Reeder, so that's worth it right there. Like the new look as well.

Bryan
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:14 AM   #12
KikoPT
macrumors member

Sad about this 2 version ...

Didn't really expected to pay for refactored sync + paint job.

I've been a happy user of Reeder for iPhone, iPad and OSX, but having this price and not really anything new .... not mentioning the time i've waited for this ... i'm considering alternatives as of now!

Can anyone recommend something (meaning app names) for iOS and Mac? I prefer to read things on an App, instead of a WebApp.
KikoPT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:16 AM   #13
Nikcomp
macrumors newbie

Best RSS reader but shouldn't have charge so much

The cost should have been 1.99. The update really is just pulling out the bugs of the old reader particularly when working with Feedly and a more IOS 7 like look. Its a great reader but I am not sure 4.99 was a fair price to those of us who owned the previous. If you don't own Reader then get this, its the best for RSS
Nikcomp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:19 AM   #14
Farplaner
macrumors 6502

Gladly paid for the new version. I don't mind paying $5 to support the developer since I use it many times a day! Nothing even comes close to it, imo.
Farplaner is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:20 AM   #15
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Funny that there's such a high correlation between "it's too expensive" and "I use this app all the time" in posts.

So there's not much changed? This means I'm now paying this company $10 over time instead of the original $5? For an app I literally use more than anything else on my phone?

That's fine by me.
Small White Car is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:22 AM   #16
wolfpackfan
macrumors 65816

I've already paid for this app once, not going to pay again. Will just continue to use Feedly. It gets the job done.
wolfpackfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:28 AM   #17
kevinpdoyle
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathplug View Post
Why did he just discontinue reeder for ipad and remove it from the app store? He updated the iphone version with feedly etc but not the ipad version and releases reeder 2.0 instead which is hardly a redesign or worthy of another purchase. I'm not paying again. I'll continue using the old reeder for iphone and move to mr reader for ipad which looks a lot better.
Reeder 2 is now a Universal App so I hardly see a reason why he would update 2 separate versions of the app when he has combined it into one streamlined app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Funny that there's such a high correlation between "it's too expensive" and "I use this app all the time" in posts.

So there's not much changed? This means I'm now paying this company $10 over time instead of the original $5? For an app I literally use more than anything else on my phone?

That's fine by me.
Exactly. I like how people feel entitled to an app an its support for indefinite period of time simply because they paid a small amount of money years ago. I will gladly pay an extra $5 for a improved look and snappier response for an app i use daily. The guy makes a great product he deserves my money.
kevinpdoyle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:33 AM   #18
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpdoyle View Post
Reeder 2 is now a Universal App so I hardly see a reason why he would update 2 separate versions of the app when he has combined it into one streamlined app.
well whats the point in updating the iphone version then if he was going to release reeder 2? He could've just added feedly to reeder for ipad because people bought it and would've still used it.
Bathplug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:34 AM   #19
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

I find it funny that many people on here who complain about a "race to the bottom" for pricing are now huffing and puffing when it comes time to their your money where their mouth is. $5.00 for a quality app I open on my phone probably 20+ times a day.... that's what, a coffee and a donut's worth of money?

Would $1.99 or FREE better than spending money. Of course. But if the dev thinks he needs $5 a pop to keep the app up and running for the future, then so be it. You are free to switch, but if $5.00 is the reason making you switch, then I would seriously sit down and think that through. How many pennies do you toss in a year? Stop doing that and buy the damn app!

Bryan
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:38 AM   #20
pmz
Banned

Why do people like Feedly? I couldn't be more disappointed with it, possibly the worst UI I've ever seen for RSS.
pmz is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:50 AM   #21
BD1
macrumors member

For iPhone, I use Newsify. I was a longtime Reeder user for iPhone and Mac. On the iPhone, I like Newsify much better than Reeder. It has a lot of preferences to customize the user experience, including the slide to right from left to go back which will be very common in iOS 7 apps.

I have also been very disappointed in Reeder's lack of support. Support emails never get answered and there was not support when google reader was shutdown.

On my Mac, I actually like Feedly a lot, especially the ability of have a different views by feed. So photo intensive feeds can have a more magazine or card view and news feeds can have the typical news view. But the Feedly iPhone app needs a lot of work to improve it.

So if you are still looking for an iPhone RSS app check out Newsify. It is free to try and $.99 to opt out of ads.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/news...510153374?mt=8
BD1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:08 AM   #22
bubba451
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post

That's fine by me.
Thank you. Couldn't agree more.
bubba451 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:23 AM   #23
Dave-Z
macrumors member

It's a good app and worth more than $5. I bought it since I use it throughout the day, everyday. I'm not sure why people complain about apps being so expensive. I last paid for Reeder years ago and considering the frequency with which I use it, it's cheap. I've paid more at Starbucks and their products and service are considerably more inconsistent and overpriced.

However, support is limited and I do find I like some of the view options Mr. Reader provides. I'm going to give it a try for a few days to see if I like it best.
Dave-Z is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:26 AM   #24
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

I use Reeder dozens and dozens of times a day - it was an instant buy after I saw v2 had been released. Didn't even wait for reviews to come in, I knew it was going to be great.

Don't mind paying 2.99 for an app that now looks much more suited to iOS 7 and with the ability to add feeds for Feedly. Also, it's universal.

I'll happily pay 4.99 or whatever it will cost for Reeder 2 on the Mac - for me, it's simply an indespensible app.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:57 AM   #25
iRock1
macrumors 6502

Am I the only one who thinks that version 1 was far superior in terms of design? That whitish tone of version 2 and now version 3 I never got used to it.
iRock1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion