Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
I was expecting the 5S to move to 32/64/128 at the same price point that the current 16/32/64 GB models are.

This makes me think the iPad 5 might still sell for 300$ to go from 16GB to 128GB which is a ridiculous premium for 112 GB of flash ram.

I would not care overly if the iPad would be the only purchase this year but i am getting a new Mac Mini and/or possibly the new Mac Pro so particularly price sensitive this time around.

I know i could probably live with 32 GB if i don't put any movies on the thing but i do like to have movies on there even though i don't really watch them all that often.

I am not sure what direction i am going to go, i know i should pass on the extra memory just on principle but upgrading from 16 to 32 is actually the worst deal there is, 100$ for 16 GB is so ridiculous when you pay the same price to go from 64 to 128.

Curious what the rest of you are going to do and what you think about the price to upgrade to 128 GB

Last edited:

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I'll get the base, whatever storage it brings. I've put my music collection in my Nokia phone, so a significant amount of storage has been freed up on my iPad. Guess I could make the ends meet with 16GB.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I always spring for the 64gb model. I owned an iPad 2 for four months and it had 32gb and even on that I was constantly deleting apps because of the retina-app size explosion that happened around the time the iPad 3 was released. I sold my 2 and bought a 3 in 64gb size and haven't looked back.

I currently do not own an iPad (rocking a Nex7 this summer with 32gb, but only because that is all it supports!), but I hope to get an iPad 5. I was really hoping the $599 price would be 64gb, but looks like I'll be spending more to get the extra space. I may just spring for the 128gb model this time around!

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
I had a 16gb iPad 2 and maxed it out quickly. Eventually sold it.
Bought the 32gb iPad 4 for the past year. I use it everyday for reading books, magazines, writing (pages), presentations (keynote), timesheets (numbers), some on the go video taking and movie making, a few games (though my kids are always complaining that I don't have enough games), a movie or two with some music for when I'm bored and several apps that are specific to my job.

When I sold my iPad a couple of weeks ago (and I'm still kicking myself for selling it too soon) I had 8 gigs left. While that might seem like a lot I never put a lot of songs on my iPad but felt like I was limited and didn't want to max out my ipad just yet.

Now with the 5 on the horizon I'm strongly considering getting the 64gb version. I'm hoping this will give me more time to grow/max my ipad than the last 2.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
16gb. I used to buy 64gb models but then iTunes Match happened. Unlike the iPhone I don't have massive photo library's on my iPad.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I consider 32 the min for retina displays. The apps are just to big. Tapatalk HD is now 5GB, by itself! But if you're careful (limited music, a few movies) you can make 16 work. But how much time do you want to spend thinking about it?

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
If I ever upgrade mine I'll probably go 64GB wifi only. I've had the 16GB Cellular for a year, only got a few videos and some photos on it, it's almost full and I haven't used the cellular as yet. 3G has gone downhill in my area recently so it's a waste of time.

First I'll be going for a base model rMBP and an external wireless hard drive that will store videos that I'll use with that and my current iPad. As you can't upgrade the retinas, I'm thinking keep most stuff of the hard drive to keep it running fast for as long as possible.

As a guide I'd say get double the storage that you have on iPhone. In hindsight I was silly to get the 16GB when my 16GB iPhone is full. And then an idiot only to use it for YouTube and general browsing until after the return period was up.

cashville2400

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
At least 32 gb , maybe 64 gb, but not 16gb. I download a lot of apps and the 16 is taken up by mostly apps and books.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
My next iPad will be the 128GB model or whatever is the most amount of storage I can get. I like having as much music as possible on my iPad, as my friends are always requesting I bring my playlists with me for their parties. Yes, I'm that cool.

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
I had a 16GB iPad 3, and that wasn't enough for my gaming needs. I will definitely be getting a 32GB iPad 5. I'm really hoping that 32GB's is the entry model. I don't have the extra $100 to spend, but I will if necessary.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'll take the max next time I upgrade. I got 4th gen iPad with 64GB last year when that was still the max. Of course now I want that 128GB option that popped up available in February, but I will have to wait awhile on upgrading that device.

When they next update the mini, then I'll take the max on it. I got 32GB on the first mini, and learned my lesson. I am often annoyed at not having twice that much space, even though I have alternatives (like playing music off some other device, etc.). It hasn't bothered me to settle for 32GB on the iPod touch, and that was a departure from usually maxing out storage on that device. For the iPod touch, 32GB might be the ongoing sweet spot. However, my experience with the iPad mini has been a different story, and now tells me i'm definitely going long on storage for either of the Apple tablets.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
The wild card is whether the 5 includes a change in memory pricing and options, such as cutting the increments from $100 to $50, increasing the base to 32 GB or both.

I bought the 1 with 64 GB, but that was before the selection of cloud options exploded. So if Apple uses its current memory tiers for the 5, I might go with a 32 GB model.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I consider 32 the min for retina displays. The apps are just to big. Tapatalk HD is now 5GB, by itself! But if you're careful (limited music, a few movies) you can make 16 work. But how much time do you want to spend thinking about it?

Taps talk is 5 gb?!!!

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Minimum of 32GB for me this time. I managed with 16GB but I was consciously frugal in not putting much music on it and apps allone nearly maxed me out.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Most everyone is saying that they need more space over their last iPad. I'm in the same boat. One of the major memory hogs is music. How do you manage music on your iPad? Do you only put a few titles on it? Do you use Pandora, Spotify, iTunes Match? Do you use another device like an iPod or iPhone?

I want to load my next iPad (probably a 64gb iPad 5) to have more music than my last one (a 32 gig iPad 4 and especially more than my 16gb iPad 2).

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
I've only ever had 64gb devices so 128 is my plan. It may even convince me to give up the advantages of the mini's size for a more reasonable amount of storage depending on what's announced.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
16gb. I used to buy 64gb models but then iTunes Match happened. Unlike the iPhone I don't have massive photo library's on my iPad.

i'm the opposite with photos, they look so much better on the iPad with the huge retina. i take em with the iphone and store them on the iPad.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Most everyone is saying that they need more space over their last iPad. I'm in the same boat. One of the major memory hogs is music. How do you manage music on your iPad? Do you only put a few titles on it? Do you use Pandora, Spotify, iTunes Match? Do you use another device like an iPod or iPhone?

I want to load my next iPad (probably a 64gb iPad 5) to have more music than my last one (a 32 gig iPad 4 and especially more than my 16gb iPad 2).

I've been manually managing my music putting only a few albums worth of my latest favorites on at a time. I've also been keeping a lot of my photos on DropBox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.