Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Hello guys,

I got a Nexus 7 last week and I'm not kind of happy with it... everything in my office is Apple (iMac) and I need something more compatible with my everyday needs for my work... I was blown away by the Nexus 7 resolution and $$ cost but I'm not happy.... now I have the dilema about the upcoming ipad mini... nobody knows if it's gonna have retina display or not... Should I wait?

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Should I wait?

Yes.

Rumors point to Mid-Late October release. Some say as late as November, but if so, it's likely to be early November.

----------

Most likely it will be a Retina screen, which would require a decent upgrade in processor speed as well, to handle the retina. So should be a win win if it does come true to being retina. I'd say you can wait one month, but if you don't care about retina, or a faster processor (that's all that can really be upgraded, if you think about it) then get one now I guess.

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
There's a possibility that the retina ipad mini will be heavier and thicker (like the Retina iPad 4 was compared to iPad 3).

That's why Apple announced a mini without Retina early Q1 2014. That way, it's cheaper (like $100 cheaper, lol), lighter and thinner but just as fast and not that weighed down.

None of this waiting is very fair for the consumers.

Good luck.

I also have a Nexus 7 2013. I use it a lot and like it. It's not an apple and I would say it is inferior, but as a $250 tablet with strong graphics and very beautiful screen, I am having fun with it.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
I'd say WAIT because an iPad is not "really" a must have gadget and since you've got an Android tablet to use at the moment, just wait for a month or two and get the new iPad or mini. Keep in mind that iPad mini will not have an A7 chip, but maybe a Retina display. Who knows :D

I know I know it's really hard to wait and not buying something that you really wanted... I'm waiting as well and I CAN'T WAIT to get the iPad 5. I'm also hoping it has a finger print sensor.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
I'd say WAIT because an iPad is not "really" a must have gadget and since you've got an Android tablet to use at the moment, just wait for a month or two and get the new iPad or mini. Keep in mind that iPad mini will not have an A7 chip, but maybe a Retina display. Who knows :D

I know I know it's really hard to wait and not buying something that you really wanted... I'm waiting as well and I CAN'T WAIT to get the iPad 5. I'm also hoping it has a finger print sensor.

Well I don't have the Nexus 7 anymore... I went to the store today and return it. Got my money back... ;). I think there was something wrong with it anyway. It was rebooting by itself all the time. The guy in the store asked me if I want another tablet and I said... naahhh... I'll wait a while for the new ipads to come out next month. :D

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
The good thing is that now that I'm gonna wait.. I can save a little more and maybe get the iPad 5 instead of the mini...

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
The good thing is that now that I'm gonna wait.. I can save a little more and maybe get the iPad 5 instead of the mini...

Me too! I think with the new design and "up to date spech's" the iPad 5 will be an awesome tablet #

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
Me too! I think with the new design and "up to date spech's" the iPad 5 will be an awesome tablet #

That's the thing.

Apple is "catching up" and not leading.

Samsung, Google and ASUS have set the bar up a bit. Not runaway far, but a bit higher. Now if Apple catches up, by Feb or March of next year, Samsung google and others will release the next "thing" and apple ipad 5 and mini 2 will again, be behind.

Mini: 512 RAM u kidding right?
iPad 4: excellent , bar raising screen. Heavy and thick but still a marvel.

It's been a year and a few months now. We're all hungry for something more.

But, Google's Nexus 7 and several of China's Huihwa lines have really impressed.

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
That's the thing.

Samsung, Google and ASUS have set the bar up a bit. Not runaway far, but a bit higher. Now if Apple catches up, by Feb or March of next year, Samsung google and others will release the next "thing" and apple ipad 5 and mini 2 will again, be behind.

But, Google's Nexus 7 and several of China's Huihwa lines have really impressed.

Personally, i was only referencing an advancement from the current iPad 4. But I can kind of see your point, but that's how products work. The moment something comes out, it's already outdated. It's the way it works.

----------

That's the thing.

The iPad minis from the beginning spech wise has been outdated.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Well between iPad mini and iPad upgrades, I'm more focused on the next mini. I took iPad to the 4 last fall and then got annoyed at the storage bump they offered in February. So I'm looking to have at least more RAM, retina would be nice, not sure my old eyes care that much though. When they do, there's my bigger iPad anyway. I love the mini that I have for its portability in a handbag, but it can get bogged down sometimes so the more RAM is key.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
ipad mini 2 - A7 chip yes like someone else said and A7X for iPad 5, retina display 100% but there are 2 situations
Remove the ipad 2 and keep the current model and raise the ipad mini 2 price
OR
Remove the ipad 2 and the mini and keep the current price

rjflyn

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
Or there's the people that buy from the Refub store. The current model runs about 15% off new price . Compare that to the regular iPad the 3rd edition runs about 25% off what the new 4th edition on costs. All come basically brand new as they have be gone over and a new case and battery put in by Apple and have the same warranty as new. So what if its last years model, its the $$ saved.

princebig7

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2013
Need quick response

I can buy a 32gb mini with 4g for 350. Pull the trigger? Need quick response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.