Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
Original poster
Yes. This is gonna be a heated thread, and will likely cause more drama and angst than someone talking about George Zimmerman not paying his taxes on PRSI. Feelings will be hurt. Long standing friendships shattered like so much brittle glass. The only reason I dare broach such a difficult topic is because I've already scoured Google and come up negative, and with the large spread of professions represented on this board, someone here has to be a spider expert.

That's right. In case you couldn't tell by the subject and the last sentence of my last paragraph, this thread is going to be about spiders. Particularly the unbearably frightening spiders I've come across in my back yard. Normally spiders don't bother me (save for brown recluses), and are hardly something I'd consider wasting your collective time with. But these spiders?

...are crazy spiders. We're talking freakishly huge, hairy bastards the likes of which I've never seen before. These aren't things that normally live in temperate climates. Oh no. They have to be something displaced from the deepest, darkest heart of the Amazon rainforest. Now one wouldn't be so bad, but I've come across three out in my yard. I'm afraid they're gonna get together, have some nasty spider orgy, and breed an infestation. If that happens, yeah...I'd have to sell the house and move.

But enough buildup. Without further ado, I give you: SPIDERS! Needless to say, if you're an arachnophobe, you should not click on these following links.

What the hell...

Oh my good lord god...

To give you a sense of scale, I have roughly medium sized hands, and this thing could easily fit in my palm and then some. The web is large enough to be strung between two trees. And what the thing is eating in that second shot? I'm pretty sure it's the dessicated remains of a camel cricket. The pictures were taken with me holding my iPhone roughly two feet away from it in one hand while holding an LED flashlight in the other.

So my question is, what kind of spiders are these, and are they going to eventually raid my house and kill me?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Please post approximately where you live. Knowing your location also gives some idea of what species live in your area. It's one thing if you found those spiders in Phoenix; quite another if you found them in Anchorage.

In general, spiders are relatively easy to kill with any household insecticide. Even more so if they're sitting stationary in the middle of a big web. You could use the "imminent threat" doctrine noted in this thread, and pre-emptively dispatch them.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I like spiders, but I hate them being in my car and motorbike. Go play somewhere else!! :mad:

Nov 28, 2010
located
In general, spiders are relatively easy to kill with any household insecticide.

If they are not poisonous, why kill them? I get, if they are big, the photos do not do them any kind of justice in any regard how big they are, they can be frightening, I probably would squeak a bit, and I love those buggers for what they are, beings with a purpose.

Renzatic

Suspended
Original poster
Please post approximately where you live. Knowing your location also gives some idea of what species live in your area. It's one thing if you found those spiders in Phoenix; quite another if you found them in Anchorage.

Gah, should've remembered to do that. I live in Georgia, just south of the Tennessee state line. The largest spiders we have around here are writing spiders, which this...whatever it is...is a bit smaller than. On a rough guesstimation, With it laying like it is in the first shot, it'd be a little larger than an old US Liberty dollar.

In general, spiders are relatively easy to kill with any household insecticide. Even more so if they're sitting stationary in the middle of a big web. You could use the "imminent threat" doctrine noted in this thread, and pre-emptively dispatch them.

Honestly, I don't think anything short of napalm supported by a healty spray of automatic weapon fire will get rid of these things.

----------

What do you mean eventually...have you checked under the covers on your bed recently?

I've done all I can do given the circumstances, which is walk around the house with an old football helmet on and carry a broom wherever I go.

...it's kept me safe so far.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and spray it on everyone you see, if you want to kill them. Just a few drops of rubbing alcohol is like instant death for incests.

I also agree with simsaladimbamba. If they are not poisonous and don't infest your property uncontrollably, they can be rather useful for controlling other possible bug infestations.

Renzatic

Suspended
Original poster
If they are not poisonous, why kill them? I get, if they are big, the photos do not do them any kind of justice in any regard how big they are, they can be frightening, I probably would squeak a bit, and I love those buggers for what they are, beings with a purpose.

Normally I wouldn't bother, but these...things present a problem. See, over the summer, something has been building a web that stretches over an absolutely massive span. Most spiders find a corner and build their web there. These spiders (I'm assuming they're the ones doing it) will shoot strands that stretch 20 feet easily. To give you an example, here's a shot of my front yard...

Yard.jpg

See those two red circles? Any time I pass between them, I'll invariably walk into a part of a spider web. I'll end up knocking it down, but whatever's doing it just builds it right back again a few hours later.

I haven't seen the spider that builds that particular web, but finding these three spiders and seeing their webs makes me think they're the ones doing it.

...and since they like to hang their webs out in open, empty space, that means I'll eventually walk into one face first at some point.

...which means I might very well end up with one of those spiders sitting right on my face.

...and though I'm not particularly scared of spiders, I do not want that to happen.

----------

Put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and spray it on everyone you see, if you want to kill them. Just a few drops of rubbing alcohol is like instant death for incests.

That'll make me a hit at the parties. :p

Renzatic

Suspended
Original poster
I don't think that's it, but your link did lead me to a spider it looks most like.

The Araneus Diadematus, aka the European Garden Spider. The only thing that throws me off is that my mystery spiders are a bit larger than what Wikipedia claims here, and they're apparently so common across the US, I should've seen more than my fair share by now.

...uugggghhh.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Easiest solution at this point: move to a different country. Get good with some people on the black market, change your name, get plastic surgery, forged documents and a false history.
Those spiders will never bother you again.

Reminds me a bit of this.

Oh, and you know the old football helmet? Probably has spiders in it. Just saying, you know, for your personal safety.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green

I was being facetious. Sorry, it doesn't come across well in text. I was hoping that my reference to the PRSI thread would be enough. Maybe I'll use the purple text signifier, or (shudder) a smilie :eek:.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I was being facetious. Sorry, it doesn't come across well in text. I was hoping that my reference to the PRSI thread would be enough. Maybe I'll use the purple text signifier, or (shudder) a smilie :eek:.

Yeah, should have caught that from the rest of the post, just wanted to present some love for those fantastic and frightening beings, as it is often overlooked, that there are for a reason, and not by some omniscient and omnipotent being, but by some omnipotent nature.

Anyway, glad someone took notes about those colours, and as far as I have learned, this :rolleyes: is considered to be an indicator of sarcasm too, though it looks more like the recipient of a sarcastic comment, like that Joey guy from that sitcom sometimes does.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Gah, should've remembered to do that. I live in Georgia, just south of the Tennessee state line. The largest spiders we have around here are writing spiders, which this...whatever it is...is a bit smaller than. On a rough guesstimation, With it laying like it is in the first shot, it'd be a little larger than an old US Liberty dollar.

I didn't know spiders could write, but I suppose if they could they'd be able to weave a tangled web of a story.

I live across the state line in Ala. I read the other day that conditions this year have been ideal for spider growth and procreation - lots of insect food for them to chow down on. Someone posted a picture of a small snake that was killed by a black widow spider not far from here.

Renzatic

Suspended
Original poster
I didn't know spiders could write, but I suppose if they could they'd be able to weave a tangled web of a story.

You obviously haven't seen Charlotte's Web. It's based on a true story, you know.

I live across the state line in Ala. I read the other day that conditions this year have been ideal for spider growth and procreation - lots of insect food for them to chow down on. Someone posted a picture of a small snake that was killed by a black widow spider not far from here.

I'm not gonna click that link because I can't stand snakes, dead or alive. But you are right, we've had such an incredibly wet summer this year it's been great for insects in general. Even if the weather weren't perfectly ideal for allowing spiders to breed to near mutant proportions, they'd still be huge just from the bounty of bugs flying into their webs. If I ever wanted to recreate that one scene from Temple of Doom, all I'd have to do is turn my breezeway light on for 15 minutes, and there they are. Bugs galore.

But on the plus side, the constant rain has made for the greenest, mildest summer I've seen in years.

db70

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
New here but whats the problem, I live in the country on a farm and got tons of spiders and also got 9 tarantulas in my house, my whole family loves them. The ones outside take care of the insects. Any that come in uninvited get caught and then released back outside or get a nice home next to the tarantulas.
Mike

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
New here but whats the problem, I live in the country on a farm and got tons of spiders and also got 9 tarantulas in my house, my whole family loves them. The ones outside take care of the insects. Any that come in uninvited get caught and then released back outside or get a nice home next to the tarantulas.
Mike

Good god man.... Nine tarantulas... :eek::eek::eek::eek: . Yeah, I think I found a location I won't be visiting. LOL

Sythas

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Québec, Canada
Again not an expert,

but this year, I got my share of scared with spiders. They are huge (for me it's the body the size of a quarter) and everywhere.

The webs are bigger and stronger. I'm really glad that the winter is near here in Canada.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.