Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flinstone

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Amsterdam
Hi my quad is coming soon now. So i want to stuff it with lots of RAM!
My question is: Does it make any difference in speed if i buy a lot more expensive cl2 ram instead of cl4? Is the mac automatically change it's settings according to the ram inserted? I guess you should use only one type of ram at a time right? ETC
Thanks in advance for every.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
You're not going to find CL2 DDR-2 RAM

DDR-2 533 MHz RAM is mostly CL4, with a few companies offering expensive CL3 module to PC Gamers

In order to take advantage of lower CAS Latencies, the motherboard has to be capable of adjusting its timings, either automatically (such as with Intel's "PAT" technology) or by manual adjustment of the BIOS settings.

Apple has never indicated that thier motherboards will adjust to faster timings, and of course there is no BIOS setting for Mac owners to tweak.

Barefeats has run one test that may indicate DDR-2 CL3 RAM is faster in a G5 than CL4, however the improvement was within the margin of error and I don't think the test is conclusive.

As usual, buy your RAM from a reputable vendor who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Macintosh, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

flinstone

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Amsterdam
Hmmmm

OK....cl3 than.
But is it faster??????????????
That was actually what i would like to now.
Does anybody have any prove??? I hope so:D

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
flinstone said:
OK....cl3 than.
But is it faster??????????????
That was actually what i would like to now.
Does anybody have any prove??? I hope so:D

"Apple has never indicated that thier motherboards will adjust to faster timings, and of course there is no BIOS setting for Mac owners to tweak.

Barefeats has run one test that may indicate DDR-2 CL3 RAM is faster in a G5 than CL4, however the improvement was within the margin of error and I don't think the test is conclusive."

http://www.barefeats.com/dc20.html CL4 vs. CL3 memory on the Dualcore resulted in marginal improvements on synthetic benchmarks.

"Other memory tests weren't as dramatic. The average on the STREAM test showed the CAS 3 memory to only be 3% faster. More to the point, when we ran our real world tests, the times were virtually identical no matter what memory we used."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.