Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
California
So I've finally decided to go with a 16 GB, space-gray iPhone 5s for my first iPhone (I've been getting along with a basic phone + iPod touches up until now), and I want to know how long it will take if I order at midnight on September 20th, when it goes up.

The following Monday? Within a week?

And is it a better idea to order from Verizon's website? They offer free two-day shipping, but I don't know if they have immediate stock or they have to wait to get it from Apple first...

Thanks all!

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Nobody knows. What I hear is possible inventory constraints, but it could be about the same as previous launches. That is, if ordered early the first day, you'll get it within a few days. After the first day or so online, or first couple days in-store, it'll be in short supply for a couple of weeks.

Or, they could have plenty. My own guess is it'll be like I mentioned above - best to order online early if you want it quickly.

I'm sure, over the next week, there'll be more than a few analysts trying to guess what supplies will be like.

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
California
Nobody knows. What I hear is possible inventory constraints, but it could be about the same as previous launches. That is, if ordered early the first day, you'll get it within a few days. After the first day or so online, or first couple days in-store, it'll be in short supply for a couple of weeks.

Or, they could have plenty. My own guess is it'll be like I mentioned above - best to order online early if you want it quickly.

I'm sure, over the next week, there'll be more than a few analysts trying to guess what supplies will be like.

Awesome, thank you! Do you think ordering from carriers' (Verizon in my case) respective websites will be quicker if the shipping is faster (Verizon offers 2-day free shipping) or do they not have immediate stock like Apple?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
nobody knows how much stock there really is...
could be a couple of days, weeks, or a month.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Awesome, thank you! Do you think ordering from carriers' (Verizon in my case) respective websites will be quicker if the shipping is faster (Verizon offers 2-day free shipping) or do they not have immediate stock like Apple?

For me, Apple's free shipping times have always been just a couple or three days. So if both ship at the same time, the arrival time would be about the same.

Given two day shipping, I'd think the shipping date would be more important.

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
California
So not possibly to get one day free shipping and receive it that saturday?

Definitely not that Saturday, no matter how early you order I would think. Do they even offer one-day/overnight? That would cost you big time from Apple...

----------

For me, Apple's free shipping times have always been just a couple or three days. So if both ship at the same time, the arrival time would be about the same.

Given two day shipping, I'd think the shipping date would be more important.

Thanks! I'm going with Apple just to be safe :)

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I usually order from Verizon because I have an old grandfathered rate plan with unlimited and I get too nervous something will go wrong through Apple's website. Historically Verizon ships 2-day. So if they have stock and one is lucky enough to get one on the 20th, if it ships Friday, it should be there on Tuesday.

Everyone is complaining about no pre-order for the 5S, but the upside is the wait is shorter - errr, may be shorter.

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
California
Everyone is complaining about no pre-order for the 5S, but the upside is the wait is shorter - errr, may be shorter.

Based on past years, if you pre-ordered a new iPhone as soon as pre-orders went up, you could get a unit by launch day...which is why we're all complaining.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Based on past years, if you pre-ordered a new iPhone as soon as pre-orders went up, you could get a unit by launch day...which is why we're all complaining.

Excellent point, my friend. I was thinking more of the preorder and then the 7+ day wait. But you are absolutely correct. I always had my phone delivered on launch day. Now I will have to wait a few extra days unless I take the gamble and wait in line.

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
California
7-10 days.

Dear God, please no. I won't be able to wait that long. But then again, it's all first-world problems, isn't it? :p

----------

Well you could get it earlier, but they place shipping holds on them, remember?

Actually this will be my first iPhone...so I don't remember. Hopefully no shipping holds for the orders this coming week...

----------

Excellent point, my friend. I was thinking more of the preorder and then the 7+ day wait. But you are absolutely correct. I always had my phone delivered on launch day. Now I will have to wait a few extra days unless I take the gamble and wait in line.

Ah yes, ok. I want mine come launch day so badly, but can't make it to an Apple Store on a Friday morning. Why, Apple, why?

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Actually this will be my first iPhone...so I don't remember. Hopefully no shipping holds for the orders this coming week...
Shipping holds are intended to prevent delivery before launch day so there aren't going to be any holds on the 5s ... the 5cs are currently on shipping hold because they could theoretically be delivered before Friday.

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
California
Shipping holds are intended to prevent delivery before launch day so there aren't going to be any holds on the 5s ... the 5cs are currently on shipping hold because they could theoretically be delivered before Friday.

This is what I had suspected. Crossing my fingers that analyst predictions are wrong and Tim has made sure that 5s supplies won't run tight.

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
California
Uh-oh...

Looks like we'll have to wait longer than expected for iPhone 5s if you're ordering online... especially if you wanted gold like myself.

Do you think the shipping times will start at 7-10 days like the other countries that have gotten them online so far?

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Do you think the shipping times will start at 7-10 days like the other countries that have gotten them online so far?

I seriously hope not... I hope Apple will expedite the US orders, since they didn't offer pre-orders for the 5s this year.

But it almost seems like the US is no longer Apples target market.

NickG420

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
In Wayne Gacey's Basement
I'm still wondering if you will get a better shipping time by ordering through a retailer like AT&T, Verizon ect rather than Apple...

I know Apple usually does 2-day shipping I wonder if that applies here as well??

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
If shipping starts at 7-10 days your better off trying your luck in store even if you don't line up I'm sure they will offer a reservation system in short order after launch

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
This is going to be crazy if shipping starts at 7-10 days. Definitely not what people were expecting. We knew supply was going to be bad, but I just figured it would completely sell out within the hour or something.

wlow3

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
It looks like 7-10 days would be a rational expectation at this point.

"In the UK, the iPhone 5s has just gone on sale. Shipping estimates stand at 7-10 days. At the time of writing, all models are expected to be delivered in the first week of October.

"The iPhone 5s has just gone on sale in Australia. However, as has been noted several times, supply of the 5s is extremely constrained. As a result, Apple is already quoting 7-10 day shipping estimates for the device. The prolonged availability applies to all models and all colors. 5s cases are similarly low in supply, to a similar extent, quoting 3-5 day shipping times.

"Supply issues seem to apply to all countries. In the UK, O2 has announced that they will have no 5s’ in stock, but will order it for when it becomes available. Via CZ on Twitter, for the Apple Store in Hong Kong, the 5s has already lapsed into October for shipping."

From 9to5mac.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.