Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-iKris-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
England
Hi everyone. I'm trying to reorganise my iPhoto stuff and I have some very beginner questions that are popping up.

I'm never sure which pictures in there are just in photo stream and which ones are permanently saved.

If I look in the menu down the left which is just under the "Library" heading, I see a folder called "Photos." Are all the pictures in there saved permanently? I ask because a lot of the event names inside the folder say things like "Sep 2012 Photo Stream." This makes me worried that at some point when I pass 1,000 pictures I'll lose some of this stuff.

But are pictures in this "Photos" folder ones that will always be kept? Is there a quick and easy way to make sure absolutely all pictures everywhere are in the permanently keep section?

(Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, but I didn't know where to put it.)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Those "Events" are taken off the photostream and saved to you PC. You will see a separate section down the side that says "Photostream" Thats where your "Cloud" pictures live.

-iKris-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
England
Those "Events" are taken off the photostream and saved to you PC. You will see a separate section down the side that says "Photostream" Thats where your "Cloud" pictures live.

Thanks for the clarification!

So those in the "Photo" saved forever? And if I just backup the entire iPhoto Library with a simple drag and drop they'll all get backed up?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Thanks for the clarification!

So those in the "Photo" saved forever? And if I just backup the entire iPhoto Library with a simple drag and drop they'll all get backed up?

I'm not on my Mac at the mo so i'm trying to picture the menu at the side. I work in Events view so I take little notice of other bits. If Events are stored under "Photos" then yes, they are saved to your machine. Which are then backed up by Time machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.