Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Is this a good deal?

Was all set on waiting for the new 2013 mini's and possibly getting the quad core model with the better GPU in the haswell processors but the price has me thinking maybe i should go for that instead.

It's off craigslist but will be meeting at the apple store to get the mini checked out at the genius bar and then will buy AppleCare for it right away

The computer does everything i need it to do, long term it is going to be used as a media server for my iTunes library to serve for the multiple apple TV's and plex streaming devices in the house and also as a handbrake device.

Short term it will also allow me to liberate my rMBP from the tyranny of being hooked up to my thunderbolt display all the time and actually use it as it was intended for, a portable computer.

What do you think, good deal? Or should i wait for the new model?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
It is.....

a no so stellar deal. Better roam the Refurb area of Apple Store or/and wait for the refresh, if you are not in a hurry.....

:):apple:

bounou

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
a no so stellar deal. Better roam the Refurb area of Apple Store or/and wait for the refresh, if you are not in a hurry.....

In canada this model refurbished is 585$ with taxes, got to love taxes!

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Yeah.....

In canada this model refurbished is 585$ with taxes, got to love taxes!

taxes everywhere are a pain in the....$#%......But you can get 1-year of warranty free, and almost new computer, coming from Apple. Not some coming from somebody claiming "little or no use" o whatever they put in the advertising.....

bounou

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
taxes everywhere are a pain in the....$#%......But you can get 1-year of warranty free, and almost new computer, coming from Apple. Not some coming from somebody claiming "little or no use" o whatever they put in the advertising.....

Ended up getting it but negotiated it down to 400$, we met at the apple store and had the Genius Bar run diagnostics on it before I bought it.

Going to see what gets released next month. If the new mini is mind blowing I'll pick it up if not ill get AppleCare for this one then.

Feel pretty confident I can get my 400$ back if I change my mind in a couple of months.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Ok.....

Ended up getting it but negotiated it down to 400$, we met at the apple store and had the Genius Bar run diagnostics on it before I bought it.

Going to see what gets released next month. If the new mini is mind blowing I'll pick it up if not ill get AppleCare for this one then.

Feel pretty confident I can get my 400$ back if I change my mind in a couple of months.

400 CAD is better. The best is you sounds happy with the purchase and pretty confident.No more to say....:D

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Why would you buy used items in an area where Apple sells refurbs?

just a 100bucks canadian more you're getting a Mini from Apple which comes with 1 year warranty. Not to mention, half or more of the device likely has new parts.

Instead you're paying a 100bucks less for a used item with no warranty and no guarantee of it being in advertised condition either.

Diagnostics just assure you nothing is broken. I'm not sure how customizable a mini is, but what about internal parts? has anything been swapped?

Yea, basically risk isn't worth saving $100 imo. Actually, not even saving 100bucks. Considering Applecare to keep it insured, you'll end up spending more.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Why would you buy used items in an area where Apple sells refurbs?

just a 100bucks canadian more you're getting a Mini from Apple which comes with 1 year warranty. Not to mention, half or more of the device likely has new parts.

Instead you're paying a 100bucks less for a used item with no warranty and no guarantee of it being in advertised condition either.

Diagnostics just assure you nothing is broken. I'm not sure how customizable a mini is, but what about internal parts? has anything been swapped?

Yea, basically risk isn't worth saving $100 imo. Actually, not even saving 100bucks. Considering Applecare to keep it insured, you'll end up spending more.

In this case the price difference was 190$ 400$ instead of 590$ with tax, i had the genius check everything and the warranty is still good for another 7 months.

Probably would of followed your advice for 100$ but 190$ for 5 months less warranty seemed like a good deal to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.