Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
Forgive my ignorance but can I buy an unlocked iPad Mini? I plan to buy one for my Mom for her to use in the Philippines. I was confused by the Apple store when the selections are only with carrier iPad Mini, does that mean I have to commit to the carriers when I buy one? Does it matter which carrier iPad mini I buy when I'm hoping to use one of the carriers in the Philippines instead?:confused: Please advise. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Apple Phillipines says..

This model can roam worldwide on fast cellular data networks, including HSPA, HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA. When you travel internationally, you can use a micro-SIM card from a local carrier.

I've never bought an international model but this seems to indicate it can be used worldwide, you only need a SIM card from a local carrier...depending on the country you are in at the time.

http://store.apple.com/ph/buy-ipad/ipad-mini/32gb-black-slate-wifi-cellular

Hope that helps.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
All iPad and iPad mini are unlocked.

No need to sign up to any carrier. Just pop in a working sim and it will just work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.