Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Infinity Blade III, the third installment in the popular hack-and-slash RPG series, first debuted during Apple's iPhone media event. Chair today released a video entitled "Infinity Blade: Origins," designed to summarizes the events of the first two games and introduce the storyline of Infinity Blade III.

Our sister site Touch Arcade has been playing a preview build of Infinity Blade III, and says "it's safe to say the bar has been raised once again."

infinityblade.jpg
Similar to the other two titles, Infinity Blade III features the same best-in-class swipe-based controls. I'm not sure what it is about the Infinity Blade games specifically, but your swipes feel infinitely more connected to the actual action in the game compared to others.

Oh, and if you were hoping for free roaming control, you're out of luck. The game is entirely combat focused, with the exact same kind of stopping, searching for sacks of gold, and moving forward via defeating increasingly difficult enemies.

Without getting deeper into review-y sorts of stuff which we're saving until after the game is actually available, I'd say the best way to describe Infinity Blade III is that it's just more Infinity Blade. There's not even a tinge of free to play to it, it looks better than any game I've ever seen on the App Store, and I'm not sure it gets much more must-have than this.
Infinity Blade III will launch alongside iOS 7, debuting next week on September 18. The first two Infinity Blade games are available for download from the App Store.

Infinity Blade ($5.99) [Direct Link]
Infinity Blade II ($6.99) [Direct Link]

Article Link: New Animated Video 'Infinity Blade: Origins' Introduces Upcoming Infinity Blade III Game

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I just wanted Dungeons :(

All i really want is an open world type Infinity Blade game where i can roam freely and engage enemies in the same type of battle Infinity Blade has. That would be awesome.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Is this game franchise getting long in the tooth?

Vote up if not

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Infinity Blade 3 III gameplay demo on iPhone 5s

YouTube: video

That was simply pathetic. IT'S NOT A MOVIE GUIZE!!ITS A REAL GAME!

...yet at the end the Infinity Blade logo comes right on cue as if it were the end of the movie.

Also, what is one playing? "Swipe, tap here, swipe here" Where is the "game" in this? There's a reason quicktime events are frowned upon in games. But this is a game made out of those and it's glorified?

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
Same, boring, and repetitive stuff repackaged in fancy new arenas with a silly dragon. Dragons belong in Skyrim..

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
infinity blade 3 isn't going to come out. It's going to be pushed back till it is forgotten like the dungeon.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington

...yet at the end the Infinity Blade logo comes right on cue as if it were the end of the movie.

Also, what is one playing? "Swipe, tap here, swipe here" Where is the "game" in this? There's a reason quicktime events are frowned upon in games. But this is a game made out of those and it's glorified?

It's fine if this kind of game is not your cup of tea. However, it looks to me like you just tried to summarize a game based on a 2 minute demo that wasn't meant to show off the game, but to show off the graphics of the iPhone 5s. Also, the game isn't done, and had to work flawlessly. I'm guessing what we saw was one of the more visually stunning and safe things to show that
A) would look good and show off the hardware
B) not crash
C) not give away the story to those for which this is their cup of tea.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I just wanted Dungeons :(

All i really want is an open world type Infinity Blade game where i can roam freely and engage enemies in the same type of battle Infinity Blade has. That would be awesome.

that would be a different game. im sure there will be something like that sometime.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I too wanted dungeons, but after it got cancelled, I got back into Wild Blood, and found it was pretty similar to the concept of Dungeons.

I wonder how this will play on the 5. The 5S had so much more to work with, that I'm hoping it will still look amazing on the 5.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Anyone read the books, particularly the most recent one? The story is pretty legit now that Brandon Sanderson helped shape it. Wish they had it together for the first two games though. Either way, this is going to be a good game too.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Eye Candy crap

Why do people buy this game, all you do is swipe your hand back and forth until the enemy drops. If you want to play a real game, check out Strategic Leap, at least you have to think.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Why do people buy this game, all you do is swipe your hand back and forth until the enemy drops. If you want to play a real game, check out Strategic Leap, at least you have to think.
Because they enjoy it.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

Purely because of the graphics I'd imagine.

Most, apart from the minority but very vocal / advocates of this game, would get bored fairly quickly.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

It's essentially Punch-Out! with swords, monsters, and amazing graphics. I'm pretty sure Punch-Out! was a game too...

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
im so bored of the infinity blade games... no matter how awesome the gfx are... it is still a totally scripted game.

bring on the "dungeons" version. there is no innovation exept the gfx.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Looks close enough to Skyrim.

Where is Skyrim on my iPad?

A Infinitely blade version of Skyrim would totally rock. Set new benchmark in smartphone / tablet gaming.

Unfortunately the hardware isn't here, yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.