Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Sep 13, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Ipad 5 form factor

Supposedly the ipad 5 will lose the side bezels and be 100 grams or so lighter. How significantly will this affect portability and how it feels in your hands?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:11 PM   #2
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Same as ipad mini.
rgarjr is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Powrie
macrumors 6502

I have a feeling that the iPad 5 is going to hit the same sweet spot that the mini did.

Because its so thin and light its going to be much easier to hold for long durations.

And because its narrower you can hold it in one hand.

At least I know I will be able to, maybe some smaller people or kids wont be able to.
Powrie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:40 PM   #4
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
Same as ipad mini.
Except heavier

----------

I don't think it's going to feel quite as nice as the Mini, but it'll feel more in between the current iPad Retina, and the iPad mini. Keep in mind, the full-sized iPad is more than double the weight of the Mini.....I doubt they're going to cut the weight in half, so it's never going to feel as good. It will be easier to handle one-handed this time aronud, because of the mini's design, but it's still going to be a lot heavier. The mini feels liek you're holding a note-book. The full-sized iPad feels like you're holding a binder (speaking about weight)
VanillaCracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Is it possible the ipad 5 will not have a smart case and only a Smart Cover as with the ipad mini?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Is it possible the ipad 5 will not have a smart case and only a Smart Cover as with the ipad mini?
iPad mini has smart covers. Just saw some at an Apple store.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 04:58 AM   #7
jakham
macrumors newbie

Same question... One of the reason what I am no decision if I buy now iPad 4 and dont wait on iPad 5 is Smart case... Will have iPad 5 smart case, is it possible?
jakham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 08:51 AM   #8
L T
macrumors 6502

I don't think I will like the iPad 5 form factor, I have an iPad mini and I'm constantly begging my family to let me swap it with one of their iPad 2's. The mini is uncomfortable to hold and I hate the thin bezels.

Also, I am a big lover of the black front with aluminium back! If they go with the Black/Slate and White/Silver colours I will be horrified!
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:20 AM   #9
Rodster
macrumors 68030

I've been leaning on an iPad mini especially if it has a high res display. That would all change if the full size iPad can get close in weight and form factor. I still have an iPad 2 and iPad 3 and the weight doesn't really bother me too much although after holding it for sometime I do wish it were a little lighter.

I have the original Nexus 7 and passed on the 2nd gen as I was wanting the new iPad mini. I'll wait for reviews and comments on both. If the two products are released from enough apart I may get whatever comes out first. I do like the new look of the 5th gen iPad.
Rodster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:58 AM   #10
bdrake47
macrumors regular

I have iPad New (3 ) and do a lot of book reading. Don't see any major reason to upgrade to the 4. But the 5 would be along my upgrade timeline path if it's released when predicted to. The weight doesn't really bother me, but lighter would be nice.

I'm undecided on the side bezel issue though, have not used a mini that much.

Does anyone that does a lot of reading on the mini find the lack of side bezels putting their thumb in the way?
bdrake47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:07 AM   #11
AlterZgo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrake47 View Post
Does anyone that does a lot of reading on the mini find the lack of side bezels putting their thumb in the way?
Yes. For me, the thin bezels on my mini makes reading one handed a chore... especially if trying to read while laying in bed or on a couch.

I really wish Apple would allow you to lock out most of the screen and place page turning buttons at the bottom or top. This would allow you to comfortably place your thumb on the screen without turning pages inadvertantly. It would also allow young kids to read with their finger touching the words without flipping pages. VERY easy fix Apple!!!

In the interim, I use a newertech gripstand which allows me to comfortably hold the mini from behind without touching the screen for extended periods.
AlterZgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:24 AM   #12
bdrake47
macrumors regular

Thanks!

Didn't mean to hijack thread, but I think this is still within realm of the OPs question.
bdrake47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad