Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
I have a ReadyNAS 102 on my network and was wondering which network protocol would be best to use for my iMac (10.8).

I'm aware that 10.9 will bring SMB2, will that be a better choice than AFP when it's made public? I currently use AFP.

What are some of the benefits of AFP beyond speed?

Since I'm suing PLEX Media Server, would I benefit from using AFP since it would transfer the media faster?

Any thoughts on SMB2 replacing AFP?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
No one knows what the final release of 10.9 will do. Wait until it's released, then either run tests yourself, or wait and see what results other people get.

10.8.5 fixed a bug with 802.11ac and AFP. See here:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/0...e-than-doubles-802-11ac-file-transfer-speeds/

In general, you should always try something on your network to determine how it actually works. You may have some network limitations that other people don't. Without full knowledge of your network, including all routers, switches, topology, etc. compared to full knowledge of the test network, all anyone can do is guess. Maybe it'll be the same and maybe it won't. Try it, see what happens.

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
No one knows what the final release of 10.9 will do. Wait until it's released, then either run tests yourself, or wait and see what results other people get.

10.8.5 fixed a bug with 802.11ac and AFP. See here:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/0...e-than-doubles-802-11ac-file-transfer-speeds/

In general, you should always try something on your network to determine how it actually works. You may have some network limitations that other people don't. Without full knowledge of your network, including all routers, switches, topology, etc. compared to full knowledge of the test network, all anyone can do is guess. Maybe it'll be the same and maybe it won't. Try it, see what happens.

Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I

5HSamAC.png

If that helps, I just made that, but yeah just figured I'd ask for advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.