Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
There is no icon for Bluetooth in the menu bar, even when show bluetooth in menu bar is checked. If I click in the area that it's supposed to be in, there is a button for it. No icon, though. Attached is a screenshot. Screen Shot 2013-09-13 at 7.48.22 PM.png

How do I fix this? I'm on Mountain Lion with a late 08 MacBook unibody. I've tried resetting the PRAM, resetting the SMC, and kept clicking the check on and off. Nothing has worked.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
There is no icon for Bluetooth in the menu bar, even when show bluetooth in menu bar is checked. If I click in the area that it's supposed to be in, there is a button for it. No icon, though. Attached is a screenshot. View attachment 433056

How do I fix this? I'm on Mountain Lion with a late 08 MacBook unibody. I've tried resetting the PRAM, resetting the SMC, and kept clicking the check on and off. Nothing has worked.

I've come across this too since updating to 10.8.5 .If anyone has a fix or workaround, i'd greatly appreciate it

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
I don't know which I downloaded, I just did the one through the App Store.

Thanks. I think it may be possible to replace the new icon under bluetooth.menu with the old one from 10.8.4 located through the go to finder option in /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ but as I no longer have any of my macs running 10.8.4, I've not been able to try this out. If anyone still on 10.8.4 could upload a copy of this file, I'll try it out to see if it works, then will probably make an automated gui for those less tech savvy if all goes well.

Thanks

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
There is no icon for Bluetooth in the menu bar, even when show bluetooth in menu bar is checked. If I click in the area that it's supposed to be in, there is a button for it. No icon, though. Attached is a screenshot. View attachment 433056

I've come up with a fix for those using a black menubar like myself but haven't as yet done a fix for the default mac menubar like the one in your attached image. i've not tried the default Bluetooth.menu file from 10.8.4 as yet as i don't have access to a mac running 10.8.4 as all my macs have been upgraded to 10.8.5. i'll try and make up a fix for the default mac menubar and report back on how i get on.

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
Now that I remember, this started happening after I used the Black Menu Bar. I didn't like the look and took it off and this started happening.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Now that I remember, this started happening after I used the Black Menu Bar. I didn't like the look and took it off and this started happening.

If you had problems after uninstalling one of the black menubar mods available, you can either get in touch with the dev who created it, i.e through deviant art, or if you're still having issues you can use the package file i posted below to put things right. If all is well it may be a good idea to download the file anyway just in case things mess up again.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41388906/bluetooth.pkg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.