Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:24 PM   #1
manmit
macrumors newbie

Disappointed: iphone 5c or 5s or none

Really disappointed with new iphones release. I have iPhone 4s and was really hoping something better. I want bigger screen so now I have following choices:
1. Iphone 5c - hate the plastic and I prefer iphone 5 which is at least steel body. From the specs it doesn't seem 5C offers sig. benefit over iphone 5.

2. Iphone 5s - I don't see myself using finger print. Screen size is important to me.

I am really disappointed and confused. Should I upgrade to any of the new phones or hold on 4s and wait for iphone 6 (which hopefully would have bigger screen).

Manmit
manmit is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:30 PM   #2
timeconsumer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmit View Post
Really disappointed with new iphones release. I have iPhone 4s and was really hoping something better. I want bigger screen so now I have following choices:
1. Iphone 5c - hate the plastic and I prefer iphone 5 which is at least steel body. From the specs it doesn't seem 5C offers sig. benefit over iphone 5.

2. Iphone 5s - I don't see myself using finger print. Screen size is important to me.

I am really disappointed and confused. Should I upgrade to any of the new phones or hold on 4s and wait for iphone 6 (which hopefully would have bigger screen).

Manmit
It depends really. You don't list your location in your profile so I'm going to assume by the time you're posting you're in the US.

If you have Verizon or Sprint 4s, you're limited by CDMA which is maximum 3.1Mbps download. If that were the case I'd recommend upgrading immediately...

If you're on AT&T with the iPhone 4S I believe max may be 14.4Mbps (which AT&T max is HSPA+ at 21Mbps) so you may have decent download speeds.

However, if you're a gamer or need faster speeds overall (especially with iOS 7 releasing) then either the 5c or 5S would be an upgrade. The 5S would probably be more of an upgrade for you though.

I'd honest recommend waiting if you can until the 6 (depending on your uses and what apps you need to use), but if you can't wait, go to the 5S.
timeconsumer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:01 PM   #3
manmit
macrumors newbie

I am in Canada but regardless, the HSPA+ speed is sufficient. I don't plan to play games AT ALL. Also, I will buy the phone outright and would not sign up the contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeconsumer View Post
It depends really. You don't list your location in your profile so I'm going to assume by the time you're posting you're in the US.

If you have Verizon or Sprint 4s, you're limited by CDMA which is maximum 3.1Mbps download. If that were the case I'd recommend upgrading immediately...

If you're on AT&T with the iPhone 4S I believe max may be 14.4Mbps (which AT&T max is HSPA+ at 21Mbps) so you may have decent download speeds.

However, if you're a gamer or need faster speeds overall (especially with iOS 7 releasing) then either the 5c or 5S would be an upgrade. The 5S would probably be more of an upgrade for you though.

I'd honest recommend waiting if you can until the 6 (depending on your uses and what apps you need to use), but if you can't wait, go to the 5S.
manmit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:05 PM   #4
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

I was disappointed as well.

I actually had hope for a better iPhone
thehustleman is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:10 PM   #5
timeconsumer
macrumors regular

Quote:
I am in Canada but regardless, the HSPA+ speed is sufficient. I don't plan to play games AT ALL. Also, I will buy the phone outright and would not sign up the contract.
My apologies. The 4S is still a great phone. If you can hold onto it for another year I would recommend doing that. If you cannot, then I'd recommend the 5S. While the 5C is still a good update over the 4S, the 5S is a much bigger update. But I would assume the 6 would be an even bigger update. Since you mention the iPhone 5, do you know anyone who would be willing to sell the iPhone 5 to you at a reasonable price?
timeconsumer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:17 PM   #6
12vElectronics
macrumors 6502a

Seems like you want an android phone considering how much emphasis you put in screen size.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:38 PM   #7
nilzi
Banned

I just wait for iPhone 6 or iPhone 6S, as I hope Apple can bring us more new features and surprises in 2014.
nilzi is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:38 PM   #8
manmit
macrumors newbie

I don't want phablet and plus I don't like android because it does not have that quality and smoothness. I am only hoping for 4.5 screen but MOST IMPORTANTLY better battery life. What's the use of this high end performance device when phone does not last long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vElectronics View Post
Seems like you want an android phone considering how much emphasis you put in screen size.

----------

iphone 5 is selling for $500 - worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeconsumer View Post
My apologies. The 4S is still a great phone. If you can hold onto it for another year I would recommend doing that. If you cannot, then I'd recommend the 5S. While the 5C is still a good update over the 4S, the 5S is a much bigger update. But I would assume the 6 would be an even bigger update. Since you mention the iPhone 5, do you know anyone who would be willing to sell the iPhone 5 to you at a reasonable price?
manmit is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:42 PM   #9
Kurso
macrumors 6502

If the iPhone 4s didn't hit this home the iPhone 5s certainly should:

YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE ON THE 's' CYCLE.

End of public service announcement.
Kurso is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:44 PM   #10
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I prefer iphone 5 which is at least steel body
That is wrong.
brand is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:48 PM   #11
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Manmit
I'm waiting for the iPhone 6. I'm extremely excited by the improvements made to the 5s, but a larger screen is a must have. I don't want an absurdly large 5"+ phone, but 4" isn't cutting it for me.
Zerilos is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:03 AM   #12
panzer06
macrumors 68030

I moved to T-Mobile and use their WiFi calling feature regularly. The iPhone ( or should I say iOS) does not support it yet so I have to stick with android or windows phone.

That's the big reason I haven't switched.

Cheers.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:49 AM   #13
manmit
macrumors newbie

Brand,

So you prefer plastic casing than iphone 5 body?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brand View Post
That is wrong.
manmit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:59 AM   #14
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Brand,

No, I think he was responding to your comment that said the iPhone 5S has a steel body. It has an aluminum body, not steel.

If I was you, I would upgrade to the 5S. You will get a larger screen and a significant upgrade in the internals of the phone.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:01 AM   #15
apple.pseudofan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Brand,

I believe he was saying that calling the 5 body steel is wrong. It is, in fact, aluminum.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:02 AM   #16
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

I would just go with the 5S. If I understand correctly you don't have to use the fingerprint sensor which I find utterly stupid but that's just me. The 5S is a solid update over the 4S but over the 5 it's a joke.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:02 AM   #17
Mr.C
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Brand,

The point is its not made from steel but anodised aluminium.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:05 AM   #18
LizKat
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurso View Post
If the iPhone 4s didn't hit this home the iPhone 5s certainly should:

YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE ON THE 's' CYCLE.

End of public service announcement.
Hah, I see it the other way around. I'm thrilled to be going from the 4S (which I have enjoyed) to the 5C. It's a wonderful upgrade.
LizKat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:06 AM   #19
chabig
macrumors 65816

I would just wait for the iPhone 7, which will be an improvement of 2 over the current iPhone.
chabig is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:10 AM   #20
Mrg02d
Banned

Get the iPhone 5 instead. You can pick up one in good condition on eBay for a good price. I'm thinking the 5s won't be faster except in games and loading things like google earth.
Mrg02d is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:14 AM   #21
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

My first thought after reading the title was that this was going to boil down to screen size. It almost always does. The hardware is so good there's virtually nothing left to complain about except this personal preference. Glad to see I wasn't disappointed. Personally, I like the "smaller" screens.
Jimmy James is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:58 PM   #22
manmit
macrumors newbie

Jimmy,

It is not only about screen size but also about apple innovation. It seems Apple really ignored us in terms of battery life. I can still sacrifice screen size but there has to be something that is really attracting. Iphone 5c is horrible upgrade and 5s is good but doesn't offer anything great (fp is not appealing to me). iphone 5 is now available for $500 and 5s in canada is $719+13% tax so that's where I am not settling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
My first thought after reading the title was that this was going to boil down to screen size. It almost always does. The hardware is so good there's virtually nothing left to complain about except this personal preference. Glad to see I wasn't disappointed. Personally, I like the "smaller" screens.
manmit is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 11:13 PM   #23
Spacial
macrumors 6502

No company is perfect. This year is Apples off year. Save your money and buy iPhone 6 when it's released just months from now. That will be a great phone, one that makes up for the rather weak iPhone 5S of 2013.
Spacial is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 02:00 AM   #24
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a

It really depends on you, If the 4s is enough for you keep it, If you feel the need of upgrade get the 5s
Old Sep 15, 2013, 02:20 AM   #25
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Stoychev View Post
It really depends on you, If the 4s is enough for you keep it, If you feel the need of upgrade get the 5s
I disagree. People need to be encouraged to get off the smaller screen 4/4S and take advantage of the massive benefits of upgrading to one of the 5c/5s devices. No macrumors member should be using devices as old as the 4/4S as they are holding back progression of the ecosystem. Lets not encourage slacktivism.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
iphone 5s