Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manmit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Really disappointed with new iphones release. I have iPhone 4s and was really hoping something better. I want bigger screen so now I have following choices:
1. Iphone 5c - hate the plastic and I prefer iphone 5 which is at least steel body. From the specs it doesn't seem 5C offers sig. benefit over iphone 5.

2. Iphone 5s - I don't see myself using finger print. Screen size is important to me.

I am really disappointed and confused. Should I upgrade to any of the new phones or hold on 4s and wait for iphone 6 (which hopefully would have bigger screen).

Manmit

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Really disappointed with new iphones release. I have iPhone 4s and was really hoping something better. I want bigger screen so now I have following choices:
1. Iphone 5c - hate the plastic and I prefer iphone 5 which is at least steel body. From the specs it doesn't seem 5C offers sig. benefit over iphone 5.

2. Iphone 5s - I don't see myself using finger print. Screen size is important to me.

I am really disappointed and confused. Should I upgrade to any of the new phones or hold on 4s and wait for iphone 6 (which hopefully would have bigger screen).

Manmit

It depends really. You don't list your location in your profile so I'm going to assume by the time you're posting you're in the US.

If you have Verizon or Sprint 4s, you're limited by CDMA which is maximum 3.1Mbps download. If that were the case I'd recommend upgrading immediately...

If you're on AT&T with the iPhone 4S I believe max may be 14.4Mbps (which AT&T max is HSPA+ at 21Mbps) so you may have decent download speeds.

However, if you're a gamer or need faster speeds overall (especially with iOS 7 releasing) then either the 5c or 5S would be an upgrade. The 5S would probably be more of an upgrade for you though.

I'd honest recommend waiting if you can until the 6 (depending on your uses and what apps you need to use), but if you can't wait, go to the 5S.

manmit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I am in Canada but regardless, the HSPA+ speed is sufficient. I don't plan to play games AT ALL. Also, I will buy the phone outright and would not sign up the contract.

It depends really. You don't list your location in your profile so I'm going to assume by the time you're posting you're in the US.

If you have Verizon or Sprint 4s, you're limited by CDMA which is maximum 3.1Mbps download. If that were the case I'd recommend upgrading immediately...

If you're on AT&T with the iPhone 4S I believe max may be 14.4Mbps (which AT&T max is HSPA+ at 21Mbps) so you may have decent download speeds.

However, if you're a gamer or need faster speeds overall (especially with iOS 7 releasing) then either the 5c or 5S would be an upgrade. The 5S would probably be more of an upgrade for you though.

I'd honest recommend waiting if you can until the 6 (depending on your uses and what apps you need to use), but if you can't wait, go to the 5S.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I am in Canada but regardless, the HSPA+ speed is sufficient. I don't plan to play games AT ALL. Also, I will buy the phone outright and would not sign up the contract.

My apologies. The 4S is still a great phone. If you can hold onto it for another year I would recommend doing that. If you cannot, then I'd recommend the 5S. While the 5C is still a good update over the 4S, the 5S is a much bigger update. But I would assume the 6 would be an even bigger update. Since you mention the iPhone 5, do you know anyone who would be willing to sell the iPhone 5 to you at a reasonable price?

nilzi

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2013
I just wait for iPhone 6 or iPhone 6S, as I hope Apple can bring us more new features and surprises in 2014.;)

manmit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I don't want phablet and plus I don't like android because it does not have that quality and smoothness. I am only hoping for 4.5 screen but MOST IMPORTANTLY better battery life. What's the use of this high end performance device when phone does not last long.

Seems like you want an android phone considering how much emphasis you put in screen size.

----------

iphone 5 is selling for $500 - worth it?

My apologies. The 4S is still a great phone. If you can hold onto it for another year I would recommend doing that. If you cannot, then I'd recommend the 5S. While the 5C is still a good update over the 4S, the 5S is a much bigger update. But I would assume the 6 would be an even bigger update. Since you mention the iPhone 5, do you know anyone who would be willing to sell the iPhone 5 to you at a reasonable price?

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
If the iPhone 4s didn't hit this home the iPhone 5s certainly should:

YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE ON THE 's' CYCLE.

End of public service announcement.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

Manmit

I'm waiting for the iPhone 6. I'm extremely excited by the improvements made to the 5s, but a larger screen is a must have. I don't want an absurdly large 5"+ phone, but 4" isn't cutting it for me.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I moved to T-Mobile and use their WiFi calling feature regularly. The iPhone ( or should I say iOS) does not support it yet so I have to stick with android or windows phone.

That's the big reason I haven't switched.

Cheers.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Brand,

So you prefer plastic casing than iphone 5 body?

No, I think he was responding to your comment that said the iPhone 5S has a steel body. It has an aluminum body, not steel.

If I was you, I would upgrade to the 5S. You will get a larger screen and a significant upgrade in the internals of the phone.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I would just go with the 5S. If I understand correctly you don't have to use the fingerprint sensor which I find utterly stupid but that's just me. The 5S is a solid update over the 4S but over the 5 it's a joke.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
If the iPhone 4s didn't hit this home the iPhone 5s certainly should:

YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE ON THE 's' CYCLE.

End of public service announcement.

Hah, I see it the other way around. I'm thrilled to be going from the 4S (which I have enjoyed) to the 5C. It's a wonderful upgrade.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I would just wait for the iPhone 7, which will be an improvement of 2 over the current iPhone.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Get the iPhone 5 instead. You can pick up one in good condition on eBay for a good price. I'm thinking the 5s won't be faster except in games and loading things like google earth.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
My first thought after reading the title was that this was going to boil down to screen size. It almost always does. The hardware is so good there's virtually nothing left to complain about except this personal preference. Glad to see I wasn't disappointed. Personally, I like the "smaller" screens.

manmit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Jimmy,

It is not only about screen size but also about apple innovation. It seems Apple really ignored us in terms of battery life. I can still sacrifice screen size but there has to be something that is really attracting. Iphone 5c is horrible upgrade and 5s is good but doesn't offer anything great (fp is not appealing to me). iphone 5 is now available for $500 and 5s in canada is $719+13% tax so that's where I am not settling.

My first thought after reading the title was that this was going to boil down to screen size. It almost always does. The hardware is so good there's virtually nothing left to complain about except this personal preference. Glad to see I wasn't disappointed. Personally, I like the "smaller" screens.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
No company is perfect. This year is Apples off year. Save your money and buy iPhone 6 when it's released just months from now. That will be a great phone, one that makes up for the rather weak iPhone 5S of 2013.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
It really depends on you, If the 4s is enough for you keep it, If you feel the need of upgrade get the 5s :rolleyes:

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
It really depends on you, If the 4s is enough for you keep it, If you feel the need of upgrade get the 5s :rolleyes:

I disagree. People need to be encouraged to get off the smaller screen 4/4S and take advantage of the massive benefits of upgrading to one of the 5c/5s devices. No macrumors member should be using devices as old as the 4/4S as they are holding back progression of the ecosystem. Lets not encourage slacktivism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.