Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
For those of you disappointed with the new releases coming out next friday, what are you disappointed about?

Besides the elusive 128GB (which I think is definitely going to happen with the 6) and a bigger screen, WHAT is the big miss?

Apple has improved just about everything about this phone over last year and added some new features as well. What great innovation are you looking for? I am really just curious.

I was disappointed in the storage. But not enough to consider waiting for the 6. I have a 4s 16 GB and that was the biggest mistake ever. I had a 32GB 4 which was a perfect size. This time I am going 64GB and keeping it for a long time... Other than that, I can't complain. I don't want a 5 because I will benefit from the better camera, the better camera features and I like the idea of a finger print reader. I think 4s users should be happy to upgrade to this.

I quite like the "s" update cycle. It improves upon the previous release. Kind of like the second or third model year of a vehicle generation. Works out the kinks and improves.

Anyway, my $.02 I just don't get all the negativity. I realize android has some cool software features, but the novelty wears off and you're left with a plastic phone with a huge screen. I actually prefer iPhone's screen width because I like being able to use it with one hand. That's one thing I agree with them on and hope they never change actually...

So, what are the innovations you are disappointed are missing? Because I don't see what more a phone could do...

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I wasn't disappointed nor impressed. This is exactly what I expected... Since it' was only an 'S' update I expected the same body style with a speed increase and camera increase. I suppose the storage space is a valid argument though. But otherwise I am satisfied with the 'S' release.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Speaking only for myself, my disappointment is only with the 5c. The 5s is cool, but really offers me no compelling reason to upgrade while in the middle of the contract I have for my current iPhone 5.

What's disappointing to me about the 5c is that rather than Apple solving the anodization process they just chose to throw it out all together. Apple marketing wants you to believe that plastic is better than metal and that five different primary colors are great. All the while, keeping the guts of the iPhone 5 in the 5c and remarketing it as new.

But the insult to injury is that Apple further chose to continue to produce the iPhone 4s. That's a model of iPhone I truly despise.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Speaking only for myself, my disappointment is only with the 5c. The 5s is cool, but really offers me no compelling reason to upgrade while in the middle of the contract I have for my current iPhone 5.

What's disappointing to me about the 5c is that rather than Apple solving the anodization process they just chose to throw it out all together. Apple marketing wants you to believe that plastic is better than metal and that five different primary colors are great. All the while, keeping the guts of the iPhone 5 in the 5c and remarketing it as new.

But the insult to injury is that Apple further chose to continue to produce the iPhone 4s. That's a model of iPhone I truly despise.
Is there a particular reason you despise the 4s?

Also, I can totally see people in the iPhone 5 category not wanting to upgrade. For the same reason I did not upgrade to a 5 last year when I had the 4s.

Now with the 24 month contract rules, it makes even more sense for every other phone to be the big changes.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is there a particular reason you despise the 4s?

Also, I can totally see people in the iPhone 5 category not wanting to upgrade. For the same reason I did not upgrade to a 5 last year when I had the 4s.

Now with the 24 month contract rules, it makes even more sense for every other phone to be the big changes.
Well, it's more a number of aesthetic reasons. The 4 and 4s are great phones. They are iPhones and as iPhones they work well. I don't have any problem with their function, just issues with their form.

Mainly, it's that stainless steel band. I am of the personal opinion that that band should have been black. That right there is the major reason I like my iPhone 5. It's solid black. Next the 4 and 4s are thick and squat. I don't really care for that. Add in one of those hideous neon bumpers that most 4 and 4s owners seem quite fond of and that's where it really gets me. I used a clear case for my iPhone 5 for a couple of months but ultimately decided to remove it. I like the look and form factor of my iPhone 5 without a case. To me, the only thing worse for the 4 and 4s is to stick it in one of those fugly Otterbox's where you cannot tell that it's an iPhone or something else.

Many, many people here use cases because they are wanting to protect their phones and a lot because they want to keep resale value. But I don't resell my phones. So, this isn't a consideration for me.

Now, all of this is just my personal opinion. I don't begrudge anyone using a case or look down on anyone owning the 4 or 4s. It's an iPhone and iPhones are cool. It's just my own personal taste is all.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I think it's a decent upgrade for the 5. The only thing I think it could have had was wireless charging and more black face color options.

Not a fan of the white plastic trim and only the Space Gary has the black option.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I was extremely impressed with the new camera and the A7; however a larger screen is a must for my next phone. I have until this time next year before I get a new one and if Apple gives us something between 4.5"-4.8" I'll stick with them; otherwise it will probably be an Android or wait another year (most likely get an Android).

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
About 3 months from now, when there are more apps and businesses that take advantage of the new fingerprint sensor, iBeacons, 64-bit architecture, and the M7 sensor array (ST pun intended), the people that were disappointed will be, "duh, should have gotten the 5s instead of this NFC phone." But, I don't want to compare to others yet, Apple is giving us a new measuring stick to measure with. Thing is, the ace is out, but not face up yet.

Nobody seems to care about the $40 worth of free apps, either. Yeah, that's what it would cost for my iPhone 5 right now, but, new iOS devices get iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) iPhone and iMovie for free. But, this is somehow disappointing. :rolleyes:

I'm also a fan of the 4" screen size. I find my iPhone 5 to be the perfect size for a phone. I can one hand everything and it fits nicely in my pocket. I don't want to have to lug around something bigger, that's what tablets are for.

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-ios-new-features-for-business-2013-9
http://gigaom.com/2013/09/10/with-i...mp-on-nfc-and-embrace-the-internet-of-things/
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-fingerprint-sensor-biometrics-2013-9

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.