Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Perth12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
After updating to GM from beta 6 my iPhone 4s keeps crashing. Although it has happened multiple times most common is when answering/receiving calls and multiple notifications. I couldn't find a thread anywhere else with this problem so is it a common bug or unique to my phone?

All help would be appreciated as I'm using iOS 7 GM on the iPhone 4s as my everyday phone.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
Put your device into DFU mode and restore iOS 7 GM and setup as a new phone don't use backups just sync contacts etc from iCloud

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
No it's the same as the public release but technically you shouldn't have tabs no apps have updated their api's or even fixed their app for iOS 7

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
You apparently don't know the meaning of GM.

Nobody does really.

Normally when software goes "gold" that means it's completely done and will not change - any changes will require an update.

Apple has treated the GM as more of a release candidate in the past, iOS 4.2 being the notable example.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Nobody does really.

Normally when software goes "gold" that means it's completely done and will not change - any changes will require an update.

Apple has treated the GM as more of a release candidate in the past, iOS 4.2 being the notable example.

People really need to learn that Gold Master means that it has reached a maturity level good enough for public release. It means that the software version labeled as Gold Master may/can be the release form; however, it also means it can change and a newer and different version be released instead. In other words, we are not out of the beta world yet.

Apple created a public release date for a reason, and people should wait until that date. I don't get whats the fascination of having an unstable, barely usable and bug ridden beta. And these are the people who later complain about it.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Why do people implement betas on everyday non-developer phones? Why?! People with betas and who are not developers should not be entitled at all to any support.

This is not a beta, it's the version going out to the public...

----------

People really need to learn that Gold Master means that it has reached a maturity level good enough for public release. It means that the software version labeled as Gold Master may/can be the release form; however, it also means it can change and a newer and different version be released instead. In other words, we are not out of the beta world yet.

Apple created a public release date for a reason, and people should wait until that date. I don't get whats the fascination of having an unstable, barely usable and bug ridden beta. And these are the people who later complain about it.

Apple is not making changes to the GM before iOS 7 goes out to the public. The GM is the same thing as RTM. The quality may be of a beta, but that doesn't mean it is a beta.

KUPARA

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
You apparently don't know the meaning of GM.

You apparently TRY to be smart, but you are NOT. How can Apple load a GM on all the new phones coming out and then release a different public release?
I mean... what's your point about changing something in the public release? It's a total nonsense

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
People really need to learn that Gold Master means that it has reached a maturity level good enough for public release. It means that the software version labeled as Gold Master may/can be the release form; however, it also means it can change and a newer and different version be released instead.

This can be said for any software ever at any point after its release.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You people keep forgetting that iPhone OS 2, iPhone OS 3 all had different build numbers from the GM.

Like I said, the GM is the potential candidate, but not the final one. Keep diluting yourself into thinking that GM = final release.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
You people keep forgetting that iPhone OS 2, iPhone OS 3 all had different build numbers from the GM.

Like I said, the GM is the potential candidate, but not the final one. Keep diluting yourself into thinking that GM = final release.

7969d1354320501-what-most-friendly-state-conceled-carry-448x249px-ll-3dd0d362_what-do-you-mean-you-people-tropic-thunder-movie-1309633407.jpg

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Yes there have been instances in the past where the GM was not what rolled out to the public via iTunes but iOS 5 and 6 GM was the exact same as what the public got. Also, the GM of iOS 7 that people are installing is the same build which is on millions of iPhone 5s and 5c models being shipped for the 20th.

The only way the GM won't be the build that is released to the public is if Apple discover a huge "show stopping" bug that needs fixed.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
IIRC it's usually the case that a new OS might have performance issues on devices that are older than one generation. So iOS 6 on the 4, and now iOS 7 on the 4S. Once it's out in the wild and they collect usage data from many people, the quickly push out an update improving the stability, speed, etc. So while iOS 7 might never be as smooth on a 4S as it will be on the 5 and of course the 5c/5s, I'm sure that either the GM and otherwise the first release after that will run just fine.

brothersage

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2013
ios7 on 4s

The GM build is stable and works well. Only problem is that itunes 11.1 b48 gives me two issues.

The first when I try to sync "itunes was unable to load data class information from sync services.

The second, when I try to do a manual backup to icloud and back up through itunes 11.1, it says "itunes could not backup because the backup session failed"

Does anyone think this is going to be fixed when the final release of itunes 11.1 comes out? Also with all this discussion of ios7 GM, is this a 4s phone issue, or just an itunes problem. NOTE: I had to do a cloud backup when I first restored to this ios7 GM version because itunes 11.1 beta couldn't find my backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.