Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:01 AM   #1
cobbyco
macrumors 6502a
 
cobbyco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK
iPod touch 6th gen - Updated prediction

Apple's September 10th event came along with no sign of a new iPod touch, yet I still believe we will see a 6th gen model before the end of the year. I think it will have:
  • 64-bit A7 processor. My reasoning behind this is that Apple wants wide-spread adoption of 64-bit support in App Store apps. The best way to do this would to give all of their mobile products the A7/A7X chips, including the iPad and iPad mini. It's possible that Apple didn't reveal the new iPod touch at the iPhone event so that the attention wasn't drawn way from the iPhone 5s.
  • 5MP iSight camera with Burst mode and 120fps slo-mo. Like the iPhone 5s, I expect Apple will focus on the quality of each pixel of the photo rather than the number of pixels. The extra modes will be added thanks to the more powerful A7 chip.
  • Single LED flash. Apple have always cut costs with the iPod touch in comparison to the iPhone, and I suspect with the addition of the A7 chip they will need to even more. Apple can't afford to put the True-tone flash in the new iPod touch, as it will increase costs even more. Also, I suspect it might eat into the iPhone 5s's sales a bit more.
  • Improved FaceTime HD camera. Likely to be the same one found in the iPhone 5c and 5s.
  • No Touch ID. Again, this is partially due to cost-cutting in the iPod touch. Also, this would eat into iPhone 5s sales. Finally, Apple doesn't need wide-spread adoption of this feature as 3rd party apps don't (currently) use it.
  • Same design as before. Much like the iPhone 5 and 5s, apple won't change the design between the 5th and 6th gen iPod touch. They've just changed the slate colour on the 5th gen for the space grey found on the iPhone 5s: they can afford to do so as the 6th gen will be using the exact same outer shell. All of the same colour combinations will still be available.
  • No iPod touch loop. I suspect Apple will want to be saving space in the iPod touch for the new A7 etc, so removing the loop would make sense. I know a few people with the 5th gen as well as myself, and none of us ever use the loop. The only external change they would have to make is not to drill the 'loop' hole, which they already don't do with the 16GB 5th gen.

There are a few extra things I need to cover:
  • Price. I suspect Apple won't change the price from the 5th gen to ensure as many people as possible can buy one.
  • Capacity. It will have the same 32GB and 64GB options that the 5th gen had at exactly the same prices.
  • Cheaper option. Apple will still sell the 16GB 5th gen as an alternative, cheaper option to the 6th gen. While I think the price of this will remain the same as it is now, there is a possibility that it could be made cheaper.
  • Announcement and release date. Apple will probably announce this new iPod touch at the rumoured October media/iPad event. It will be planned to be released by the start of November, but there could be delays due to the number of A7 chips available.
cobbyco is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:46 AM   #2
617aircav
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I don't see it coming this year.
617aircav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:08 AM   #3
cobbyco
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
cobbyco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
I don't see it coming this year.
I doubt Apple want another situation like they did with the 4th gen. I mean, surely they aren't leaving their top-end iPod with a processor from early 2011?

If it doesn't come this year, then it will be early next year. That or Apple are playing their cards wrong and come mid 2014 we're left with a device that can't keep up with iOS 8.
cobbyco is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Plutonius
macrumors 601
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbyco View Post
I doubt Apple want another situation like they did with the 4th gen. I mean, surely they aren't leaving their top-end iPod with a processor from early 2011?
They are not updating the Touch. You will not see a new Touch (other than colors) until fall 2014.

If they had eliminated the iPhone 4S, I think you would have had a better shot at an updated Touch. As it is, it looks like Apple has no issues with using the A5 (iPhone 4S). Also, the A5 should work up to (and including) IOS 8.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
I don't think they would have updated the colours if a new model was right around the corner.

With apple you never know tho!
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 11:02 AM   #6
cobbyco
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
cobbyco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
I don't think they would have updated the colours if a new model was right around the corner.
If they're using the same casing for the 6th gen (which I think they are) then it wouldn't matter.
cobbyco is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Shanghaichica
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbyco View Post
I doubt Apple want another situation like they did with the 4th gen. I mean, surely they aren't leaving their top-end iPod with a processor from early 2011?

If it doesn't come this year, then it will be early next year. That or Apple are playing their cards wrong and come mid 2014 we're left with a device that can't keep up with iOS 8.
The ipod line isnt that important to Apple in the grand scheme of things. ipod sales have been declining for several years. During the last quarter ipods only accounted for 2 % of Apple's revenue. Also if Apple did update the touch it would not get the A7. The A7 is for the flagship phone and ipad.
Shanghaichica is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:54 AM   #8
easy4lif
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southbay CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghaichica View Post
The ipod line isnt that important to Apple in the grand scheme of things. ipod sales have been declining for several years. During the last quarter ipods only accounted for 2 % of Apple's revenue. Also if Apple did update the touch it would not get the A7. The A7 is for the flagship phone and ipad.
2% is still millions towards their bottom line. Second, the A7 is todays flagship processor just like the A6, A5 in years past.

Overall i agree with the original poster assessment. I would only add this:

Processor. A7 iphone A8 quad core 2gb memory
Memory 1gb
Isight camera. 8mp. (iPhone will be 12 at least)
5inch screen like iPhone 6
Bigger battery
M7 co processor. (Maybe give it less then 30% chance)
Touch ID. (They'll put this in all their mobile devices in 2014)
iOS 8. (7 is already a memory hog)
__________________
worthless, just worthless
easy4lif is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:16 AM   #9
Shanghaichica
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy4lif View Post
2% is still millions towards their bottom line. Second, the A7 is todays flagship processor just like the A6, A5 in years past.

Overall i agree with the original poster assessment. I would only add this:

Processor. A7 iphone A8 quad core 2gb memory
Memory 1gb
Isight camera. 8mp. (iPhone will be 12 at least)
5inch screen like iPhone 6
Bigger battery
M7 co processor. (Maybe give it less then 30% chance)
Touch ID. (They'll put this in all their mobile devices in 2014)
iOS 8. (7 is already a memory hog)
Eventually it will get all these things but I don't think it would get stuff like the A7 or Touch ID this year. In 2014 I think it will get a significant upgrade, with much of the stuff you mention.
Shanghaichica is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:59 AM   #10
RAPTORSKI
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: British Columbia
I believe Apple will introduce a new iPod next year, perhaps along with iWatch and other products. This year they have plenty to announce - Mac Pro, MBP with Haswell, iPads, etc. Who knows we will just have to wait and see what happens.
__________________
rMBP 13" 128GB ; iPad 2nd generation ; 16 GB Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
RAPTORSKI is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:11 AM   #11
pr0230
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
New ipod touch has been released

T-Mobile Iphone 5S with NO CONTRACT $850.00
pr0230 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:51 AM   #12
defunct32
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghaichica View Post
Eventually it will get all these things but I don't think it would get stuff like the A7 or Touch ID this year. In 2014 I think it will get a significant upgrade, with much of the stuff you mention.
As long as the new iPod is a powerhouse to run the latest games I'm happy. My iPod touch is a gaming device, I seriously can't wait for next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTORSKI View Post
I believe Apple will introduce a new iPod next year, perhaps along with iWatch and other products. This year they have plenty to announce - Mac Pro, MBP with Haswell, iPads, etc. Who knows we will just have to wait and see what happens.
Can't wait!
defunct32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:26 AM   #13
nutmac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
I don't see it coming this year.
Yes, I thought it was a common knowledge that Apple has done away with "s" style update for iPod touch.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 07:26 AM   #14
hoodedwarbler12
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tennessee
I doubt it would jump straight to A7 without being A6 first. I don't think it's ever skipped one like that before.
__________________
MacBook Air | Mid-2013 iPhone 6
hoodedwarbler12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 01:07 PM   #15
Shanghaichica
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK
It would be hard for Apple to justify an upgrade to the A6 processor this year now that they have introduced the 5C, which has the A6 processor but is not a budget device.
Shanghaichica is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 04:04 AM   #16
mr.bee
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Antwerp, belgium
too bad if they won't upgrade it this year, because the touch is one of the first devices a non Apple customer will buy I think.
At least this is what I see around me.

I would like to have an updated touch. I was a bit disappointed with the previous update because it didn't have a gps, what I would love to go running with it.

The touch combined with an Apple TV is the best combination to change the current gaming industry
mr.bee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 03:28 AM   #17
preyan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Arrow

I'm waiting for the next touch but doubt it will happen this year! Am considering then buying 5S cash or wait for 6
preyan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 09:48 AM   #18
Slix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I really hope they update it this year, I've been waiting for a better upgrade for my 4th gen touch for a few years now, but the 5th gen isn't going to cut it after another year, now 2 years behind in processors. New colors (aside from space grey) would be nice too. I have a feeling they want to push for the 64-bit apps and stuff though, so hopefully they do update it and make the iPod touch a powerhouse device again, it hasn't been in the past 3 years.
__________________
Looking for a small, close, friendly community where you can hang out, talk about Pokémon and anything, and have fun?
Check out The 'Wag!

Last edited by Slix; Oct 11, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
Slix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 06:07 PM   #19
deaglecat
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
the current 32gb touch is actually a bargain when compared to the iphone. ... if you can live without the cell radio.

sure it has a smaller screen than the ipad mini but you get more memory in exchange.

I see no reason for apple to upgrade it. It is lightning connected and runs ios7 just fine.
deaglecat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 01:10 PM   #20
Aradar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Hell no. They're definitely not going to introduce a 6th gen. until fall of 2014. And go directly to the A7 64-bit processor? You're crazy. Last year, when the iPhone 5 got the A6, the iPod touch got the A5. They're not going to skip like that. It doesn't work that way. They need to keep a balance because they don't want iPod touch's to affect iPhone sales. They'll most likely bring a A6 processor. Also, I'd imagine it getting the touch screen technology as well as an 8-MP camera. It might make the screen a little larger, but truthfully I currently like it at it looks now.
Aradar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 04:39 PM   #21
madmofo145
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
I think the obvious answer here is that we are all clueless, there are too many situations Apple could be contemplating to make any prediction better then the next. Those who argue that Apple is done upgrading the iPod during S years? It happened once, and once does not a trend make. That's the biggest thing, this is still a youngish product and we don't have enough data to support any theories, my own take though.

Apple may be tempted to do biannual updates to the iPod. There is no carrier subsidy to deal with, and with a 299 base price (for the current model) most people won't update every year. This would keep R&D down.

They will likely be tempted to stay a gen back in hardware. Early updates to hardware seemed more incremental, and while expanding the 64bit processor user base is tempting, those contemplating an iPhone 5C might be hard pressed to understand why their device cost so much more then a theoretical iPod 6 when that would have a better processor, and would mainly be missing cell radios. At least when the 5s is a year old going against an A7 iPod touch, it will have it's touch sensor to brag about.

There is a problem though. Google is supposed to release the Nexus 5 soon, with a rumored 299 price tag, and great specs to boot. If google is smart enough to market it as a competitor against the iPod as well as iPhones, then suddenly the iPod looks very expensive for what you get by comparison, and the Nexus becomes a viable alternative to the iPod. If Apple is worried about that kind of scenario then we would expect a yearly update to the device. An A6 powered device with slightly upgraded camera would certainly look a bit more tempting then the current gen device when stacked up against the Nexus.
madmofo145 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:53 PM   #22
SamuraiMinis
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Send a message via Skype™ to SamuraiMinis
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmofo145 View Post
I think the obvious answer here is that we are all clueless, there are too many situations Apple could be contemplating to make any prediction better then the next. Those who argue that Apple is done upgrading the iPod during S years? It happened once, and once does not a trend make. That's the biggest thing, this is still a youngish product and we don't have enough data to support any theories, my own take though.

Apple may be tempted to do biannual updates to the iPod. There is no carrier subsidy to deal with, and with a 299 base price (for the current model) most people won't update every year. This would keep R&D down.

They will likely be tempted to stay a gen back in hardware. Early updates to hardware seemed more incremental, and while expanding the 64bit processor user base is tempting, those contemplating an iPhone 5C might be hard pressed to understand why their device cost so much more then a theoretical iPod 6 when that would have a better processor, and would mainly be missing cell radios. At least when the 5s is a year old going against an A7 iPod touch, it will have it's touch sensor to brag about.

There is a problem though. Google is supposed to release the Nexus 5 soon, with a rumored 299 price tag, and great specs to boot. If google is smart enough to market it as a competitor against the iPod as well as iPhones, then suddenly the iPod looks very expensive for what you get by comparison, and the Nexus becomes a viable alternative to the iPod. If Apple is worried about that kind of scenario then we would expect a yearly update to the device. An A6 powered device with slightly upgraded camera would certainly look a bit more tempting then the current gen device when stacked up against the Nexus.
Agreed. I think your post puts a good perspective on what may or may not be.
SamuraiMinis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 09:44 AM   #23
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradar View Post
Hell no. They're definitely not going to introduce a 6th gen. until fall of 2014. And go directly to the A7 64-bit processor? You're crazy. Last year, when the iPhone 5 got the A6, the iPod touch got the A5. They're not going to skip like that. It doesn't work that way. They need to keep a balance because they don't want iPod touch's to affect iPhone sales. They'll most likely bring a A6 processor. Also, I'd imagine it getting the touch screen technology as well as an 8-MP camera. It might make the screen a little larger, but truthfully I currently like it at it looks now.
Actually if the top iPhone and full size iPads go to an A8 processor next year, then everything else could get an A7 processor next year. If Apple wants to go into 64bit for the iOS products, they will need to do something like this.

This will keep the balance you mentioned.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 06:21 AM   #24
s2mikey
macrumors 68000
 
s2mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Upstate, NY
It'd be nice if they kicked up the iPods specs a bit. If I get the newest gen iPad I'd like to snag an iPod tpich for the wifey but it can't be hardware challenged or underpowered. The 5th gen is nice but it will soon fall behind.
__________________
iPad Air 32GB / AT&T
iPod Nano 7th gen, space grey
s2mikey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:15 AM   #25
Plutonius
macrumors 601
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
It'd be nice if they kicked up the iPods specs a bit. If I get the newest gen iPad I'd like to snag an iPod tpich for the wifey but it can't be hardware challenged or underpowered. The 5th gen is nice but it will soon fall behind.
The iPod Touch 5 runs great under IOS7 and isn't at all hardware challenged or underpowered.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6th Gen iPod touch? -Blacknight- iPod touch 152 Sep 24, 2014 09:17 AM
So I got an ipod nano 6th gen... Zellio iPod 3 Sep 30, 2013 07:51 AM
iPod Touch 6th Gen. This Year? MarkyMarc91 iPod touch 43 Sep 12, 2013 04:47 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC