Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:35 AM   #1
GreatUsername
macrumors member

Retina iMac in 2014? 2015?

I decided a while ago that I wouldn't buy anything from Apple unless it was retina. Sadly, I really need a new desktop now and it doesn't look like the 2013 iMac will be 4K. I would think that with all the leaks the iPhone had, there's no way a retina iMac could sneak under the radar (unless it was all an elaborate cover up by Apple! ). Yield issues, prices, and GPU strength hold it back. Though, I think most of us are in agreement of a retina/4K Thunderbolt Display in 2013, what with the Mavericks wallpaper and new Mac Pro, so it's only logical for the iMac to be getting it soon.

I think that a retina iMac will be coming in 2014. However, like many people report with the rMBP, it'll be under powered. It wouldn't be until 2015 until an iMac can actually run it's own screen well as well as multiple others.

Though, Apple may not release a retina iMac in 2014 because they don't want to have yield issues like they did with the 2012 model. Also, they don't want it to be under powered like the rMBP was. In which case, a retina iMac that can run it's own screen as well as multiple others still comes out in 2015. Though, they do like to be first to have the latest and greatest (first phone with ultra high resolution, first laptop with super high resolution, first 64 bit phone, etc.)

So I think the best thing for me is to buy a refurbished 2012 iMac this year after the 2013 one is released and keep it for a year or two so I can get the good 2015 retina iMac currently only existing in my imagination.

I'm shooting for a maxed out 27" one btw. Save for RAM since I can upgrade that myself.

I know it's pointless to keep waiting for the next big thing but I really feel like once I have retina I'll be completely happy. Just look at the rMBP, especially a spec bumped 2013 model. That's the pinnacle of laptop computing right there.

Just trying to get a second opinion here.

Last edited by GreatUsername; Sep 15, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
GreatUsername is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:58 PM   #2
GreatUsername
macrumors member

Don't everyone post at once now...
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:37 PM   #3
IlikeMacsSoMuch
macrumors Demi-God

The iMacs graphic card are at best mid range so you are right, IMO. 4K is very hot but most people don't even use the full capacity of the actual iMac screen, unless they are professional photographer or graphic designer.

As for watching videos, the current 1080p standard is not going to get obsolete for quite a while, and on the actual iMac it doesn't look that good because of the iMac's higher resolution.

But I would make sure to get the higher end graphic card.

I have the late 2009 27 inches IMac and I eill replace it with the MacPro, but it still can take about everything I throw at it, after 3 1/2 years of intense usage. The iMacs are as good as they are sexy!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:52 PM   #4
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

I think the first 4k display will be on the Mac Pro. If an iMac comes with one it will be at a later date.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 09:36 PM   #5
GreatUsername
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeMacsSoMuch View Post
The iMacs graphic card are at best mid range so you are right, IMO. 4K is very hot but most people don't even use the full capacity of the actual iMac screen, unless they are professional photographer or graphic designer.
Well, it depends on what you mean by mid range. The GPU in the iMac is a mobile version so it can fit inside the computer's small chassis. As far as mobile GPUs go, it was top of the line in 2012 when the current model came out. However, in the grand spectrum of GPUs today, I'll agree that it's mid range. Hardware wise, I'd compare iMacs to high end gaming laptops. That said, I am absolutely getting the 680MX with 2GB of on board RAM.

Quote:
As for watching videos, the current 1080p standard is not going to get obsolete for quite a while, and on the actual iMac it doesn't look that good because of the iMac's higher resolution.
You're right, 1080p will be sticking around for a long time. I really do wonder when YouTube videos will start coming out in 4K...

I know 4K/retina isn't that big of a deal right now but I would really feel cheated if I bought a brand new iMac this year and next year it got retina, especially since iMacs haven't really changed that much save for annual spec bumps. Retina on the iMac would probably be the biggest change the line has had since it went from plastic to aluminum or when it made the switch to Intel.

Quote:
I have the late 2009 27 inches IMac and I eill replace it with the MacPro, but it still can take about everything I throw at it, after 3 1/2 years of intense usage. The iMacs are as good as they are sexy!
That's good to know since I fully intend to abuse this thing. Boot Camp, Parallels, gaming (maybe gaming on Parallels), Photoshop with a 10K canvas, a second (maybe third) screen, tons of multitasking, etc.

Of course, I know retina is the opposite of what you want for gaming but when I'm doing that, I'll just change the resolution to 1080. The other 2,000 or so vertical pixels are for everything besides gaming.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:05 PM   #6
ribengous
macrumors newbie

agree.I think the first 4k display will be on the Mac Pro. If an iMac comes with one it will be at a later date.[img]http://www.********/usa/images/4.gif[/img]
ribengous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 02:44 PM   #7
jetjaguar
macrumors 68000

I doubt the new mac pro will launch with a 4k display. I believe they will launch an updated thunderbolt display with usb3 and stuff though. Basically a tbd to match the current slim imac.

I dont think we will see a retina imac for another year or two.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Serban
macrumors 68030

they already put 2180p and 2880p wallpapers on mavericks
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:58 PM   #9
GreatUsername
macrumors member

New iMacs just came out today. I bought a refurbished 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7 with a 680MX GPU and a 1TB Fusion Drive.

I wanted 3TB but I guess I'll just get an external drive. Besides, people reported a lot of problems with Boot Camp on the 3TB model. Still, I'm not sure 500GB will be enough for my Windows partition. I might have to play some games off of my external drive. Though, that might confuse Steam a bit and partitioning the second drive as well could be another pain.

For an extra $700 I could've had the brand-new one but it'd only be 50% faster at the max. Either way I'd only be keeping it for two years since we're all in agreement of a retina iMac in 2015.

Can't wait for it to get here sometime in the first week of October. I'll probably spend the $700 saved on an iPad.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Tags
2014, 2015, imac, retina