Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

selaing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2013
I use comcast as my internet provider with my Airport Extreme. Everything worked great in the past. This is what I did:

main access has access to internet, printer and external hard drive.
Guest access has easy password and only internet.

Comcast sent a new modem box. I plugged it in and now can only get my main access. My guest access cannot see an IP number.

What have I done incorrectly? Should I reset my AE to factory spec's then re-establish my main access and guest access?

Help!!! This is driving me nuts and I don't want to give guests my very nice password.
cheers
Stuart

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
interesting.... I just got Comcast for my parents and they gave me a wireless N router that they say can get up to 200 mbps which is 2x faster than what they offer haha. The router cost exactly what a regular modem does to rent. $7 a month. I have 50mbp/s or 45 mbp/s connection and get 44. My parents have 20 mbp/s and usually get 23-24 mbp/s on the their modem. How exactly is the extreme needed?

Why didn't/don't you just call comcast to give you a wireless router? I have one in Boston and it works great. I have both in Boston and at my Parents house the comcast router. In a 2,000+ square foot home and the wireless signal is strong in the whole house.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Have you been using the extreme as a router or as a wireless access point (bridge mode) and the comcrap box doing the routing?

Guest network is a wireless access thing only, controls what a wireless client sees.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Don't even get me started on Comcast. I have a 5 year old Motorola surfboard 5100 modem that I use with my Time Capsule. Has always worked great. I just moved and when I was doing the transition, they told me that it is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem and is no longer supported and there is no possible way to transfer it to the new address. So they sent me one of their monstrosities. At first they couldn't get it working and then when they did, I was getting a whopping 1.5 Mbos download at best. They told me I would have "blazing fast" speed with the DOC 3.0. After fighting with them for 3 days and ultimately canceling in favor of DSL, they miraculously found a workaround to get my old Motorola activated on the account.

Right now I'm at 28 Mbps down and that's plenty fast enought for what I need. They really are a bunch of scammers. We here are generally critical of wireless carriers but what the do pales in comparison to the scams that the cable companies pull. At least we have a handful of wireless carriers to choose from and that keeps them very slightly honest.

----------

Cool story bro - right? Ha ha. Sorry for my above rant.

nvhanzila

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
yes, At least we have a handful of wireless carriers to choose from and that keeps them very slightly honest.
4.gif

selaing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2013
follow up

i am using my AE as a router I guess and the comcast box as the modem. I know the new box can do modem and router....

cheers
Stuart

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Just make sure the comcast box's router function (if it has one) is turned off (bridge or pass-through mode). I'm sure you have reset everything (unplug power) a couple times already. When powering up, let the comcast box fully start up before powering up the AE.

selaing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2013
coldcase thanks

So I take it you are saying, make sure the comcast router/wireless is turned off and just leave the modem on. Then I should be ok with my AE.

Now final question, should I reset my AE to factory settings?

cheers
Stuart

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
how old is your airport extreme?

You can probably get at least $100 bucks for it online. I just don't get why people have one is your internet router that they are charging you $7 bucks a month does the same function?

I traded my airport extreme for a comcast compatible router/modem so I wouldn't have to pay $7 bucks a month and I honestly do not see any difference in quality/range. I know this is a apple fan boy site but if you internet provider gives you this why spend more to get the same product because it looks pretty on your desk?

Only crappy thing about our comcast router was it didn't let us use X-Box live and the people at comcast aren't very helpful. We found a way around it after 2-3 weeks of searching but it was a pain in the ars

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I just don't get why people have one is your internet router that they are charging you $7 bucks a month does the same function?

Folks usually replace their ISP provided router because its a crappy router (doesn't have adequate performance). It is certainly not an apple fan boy thing as you will find DSL Report forums full of those that want to replace their ISP equipment with third party routers that function better. I dunno about the current comcast offering, but past models had issues.

----------

So I take it you are saying, make sure the comcast router/wireless is turned off and just leave the modem on. Then I should be ok with my AE.

Now final question, should I reset my AE to factory settings?

cheers
Stuart

It won't hurt and is easy enough to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.