Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triscuitbiscuit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
I was having issues with my original iPhone 5 constantly losing signal. I did all the troubleshooting steps and it still kept popping up. I brought it into the Apple Store and although they replaced it, they basically told me I was lucky because there was no diagnostic data on it due to me restoring it so many times.

The new replacement phone is constantly losing signal again. If I hold it, it drops 2-3 bars. If I place it down, it will have 'No Signal' after a while. My brother's iPhone 5 has none of these problems so I know it is not the location. When I first got it, I restored it a couple of times because I noticed I was having problems right out of the box. Should I try bringing it in again? I know they'll just tell me to restore it and from there waste time to have to bring it back. Should I try maybe getting a new SIM card? Or should I try a different Apple Store with a better manager?

Brad02

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
I would try getting a new sim. The odds of getting two phones having the same exact signal issues are pretty slim. If that fails have it swapped again.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
What carrier are you on? What area are you using the phone in? Does your brother have the same carrier?

triscuitbiscuit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
AT&T
What's interesting is that the Apple Store gave me a new SIM to bring with me to the AT&T store to get reactivated when I got the replacement. Don't know if the SIM that Apple gave me was just junky?
Brother has AT&T as well.

The thing that makes me question this replacement is that when I hold it, it loses 2-3 bars. When I put it in my pocket, it loses almost all the bars (I can tell because when I take it out and press the home button, it is at 1 bar and then gains a couple after a few seconds). Is this normal?

Last edited:

GcBuffs

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
Okay, let me tell you a story, I received a replacement iPhone 5 from AppleCare. That replacement iPhone 5 had the same exact problems that your new iPhone has. It loses signal like 10-15 times an hour. Resulting in one bar or the "searching" option. I tried everything from resetting network settings, restoring,and getting a new SIM card (AT&T). None of that worked. So I called Apple and got a new replacement phone and everything has worked perfectly since then. I believe that there is a big number if replacement iPhone 5's with that problem.

----------

I suggest you go to the Apple Store again to get a new replacement.

triscuitbiscuit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
Okay, let me tell you a story, I received a replacement iPhone 5 from AppleCare. That replacement iPhone 5 had the same exact problems that your new iPhone has. It loses signal like 10-15 times an hour. Resulting in one bar or the "searching" option. I tried everything from resetting network settings, restoring,and getting a new SIM card (AT&T). None of that worked. So I called Apple and got a new replacement phone and everything has worked perfectly since then. I believe that there is a big number if replacement iPhone 5's with that problem.

----------

I suggest you go to the Apple Store again to get a new replacement.

I got another new SIM card and it is still doing it. So I've been going back and forth with AppleCare for the past week or so (it was upgraded to a supervisor). This will be the third time that I've had to restore it for them (and about the 6-7th time I've restored this phone). I sent them diagnostic data and they keep on insisting that it is not a hardware problem but a problem with connecting to their activation servers. That explanation makes no sense to me and I am at wits end with having to take the time to restore the device again and again and having to set it all up and sync it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.