Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Hi guys, my new app, My Margins was just recently added to the app store.
Store link

Overview
It's made up of 3 calculators. For each of them, you simply enter data into 2 of the fields and and the others will lock. Press calculate to get your results. The colour of the input areas will let you know what fields are inputs and which are calculated.

You can then hit the e-mail icon and send the results.

Margin/Markup
Comprises of cost, price, markup, margin and profit. Also has the option of VAT on the selling price.

VAT
Comprises of Price, VAT rate, VAT, Price after tax.

Very useful if you want to see what price a product will be after tax. Also useful when working backwards. Enter a price after tax and the VAT rate, find out how much the product is without tax. This is a calculation that people commonly get wrong.

Discount
Comprises of Price, Discount rate, Discount, Price after discount.

Lets you see the impact of discounts on products, and lets you work out what the price was before the discount was applied.

Background
I work in finance and i've seen many people have trouble calculating things like markup, how much of a retail price is made up by VAT (especially when trying to claim it back!) etc.

I saw a few apps available but they seemed a bit cumbersome and not as easy to use they should be. I really aimed to make something easy, straight forward and flexible.

I also combined the 3 calculators in 1 app to give the user more value.

Let me know what you think, I really hope you guys find it useful.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
The UI for this is very nicely done and I like how you make the calculations simple for the everyday person. I probably won't use this often but I bought it to support you. All the best!

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
The UI for this is very nicely done and I like how you make the calculations simple for the everyday person. I probably won't use this often but I bought it to support you. All the best!

Thanks a lot for the support, I really appreciate it. Simplicity and ease of use was definitely a focus.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
I'm looking to update the app for iOS 7 and wanted to know if there's any features or changes people think I should be looking at.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.