Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would you prefer to have?

• Total voters

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
If you were upgrading from an iPhone 4 and had to choose between the 5 or 5c which would you go for? Most carriers are now offering both of them at the same price ($99). It seems like the difference between the two is very minimal and the 5 has arguably better build quality and a more appealing look & feel compared to the sort of cheap looking plastic 5c.

ouankou

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Erlangen, Germany
I bought a black iPhone 5 16GB the day right after the recent announcement. It is a little cheaper than 5c, with the very similar specs and more beautiful and lighter metal case. With limited budget, I think iPhone 5 is much better than 5c.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
5c. They are both essentially the same device. With the 5c, you get color choice and free iWork apps.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
iPhone 5 or 5c?

If you were upgrading from an iPhone 4 and had to choose between the 5 or 5c which would you go for?

I really like the 5C, but if the price is the same, and I had to buy right now, I would choose the 5, for the following reasons:

1) The 5 is available in black/slate, currently my favorite combination.

2) There are plenty of case options for the 5 today. It will take a few weeks or months for 5C accessories to be readily available.

3) The iPhone 5 is a tried and true design. While it has its issues, they are a known quantity. I expect that the 5C will be fine, but with a new physical exterior you never know for sure at first. Remember antennagate.

A few months down the line, if the 5C proves to be a durable, good design in the field, I would choose the 5C because I believe that the plastic would hold up better in terns of dent resistance. The slightly better battery life helps too.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
If you want to be all "premium" looking then obviously the 5.

If you want the premium internals then it has to be 5c. More LTE bands, bigger battery, better FaceTime camera, and probably all the little quirks of the first gen 5 hardware worked out. It's in a plastic case sure, but lets be honest, that'll age better than the 5 (or 5s for that matter)..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.