Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
In iOS 7 does Wi-Fi still disconnect about a minute after the phone is locked?

I find it really annoying because it means a lot of notifications are delayed at home/work where my cellular connection is weak.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
In iOS 7 does Wi-Fi still disconnect about a minute after the phone is locked?

I find it really annoying because it means a lot of notifications are delayed at home/work where my cellular connection is weak.

My iPhone 4 seems to power down WiFi completely.
My iPad on the other hand seems to keep the connection.

On my iPhone I can see the WiFi symbol reappear, while my iPad can directly connect without delay.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've noticed that iOS 7 is a lot more aggressive about keeping Wifi turned on than iOS 6 was.

With 6, I'd often unlock my phone and it would take a moment to get back on Wifi. With 7, it's almost always already on Wifi when I wake the screen, even before I unlock. Also, at work where I often get kicked randomly off the Wifi, it rejoins a lot more quickly than iOS 6 did. We're talking a fraction of a second most of the time.

So this many not answer your question directly, but I have noticed iOS 7 being a lot better with Wifi. As always YMMV.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
My iPhone 4 seems to power down WiFi completely.
My iPad on the other hand seems to keep the connection.

On my iPhone I can see the WiFi symbol reappear, while my iPad can directly connect without delay.

I have the same experience on my iPhone 5 and iPad 2. Both running iOS 6.

I have read conflicting opinions on this, some say that cellular iPads exhibit the same behaviour as iPhones, but wifi only iPads stay connected all the time. Others say all iPads stay connected all the time - due to larger batteries.

I have a 3G iPad 2 with no SIM in it and it stays connected to wifi all the time.

I understand the logic of disabling wifi to save battery but they should make it an option, as it's not always appropriate to disable wifi.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I've noticed that iOS 7 is a lot more aggressive about keeping Wifi turned on than iOS 6 was.

With 6, I'd often unlock my phone and it would take a moment to get back on Wifi. With 7, it's almost always already on Wifi when I wake the screen, even before I unlock. Also, at work where I often get kicked randomly off the Wifi, it rejoins a lot more quickly than iOS 6 did. We're talking a fraction of a second most of the time.

So this many not answer your question directly, but I have noticed iOS 7 being a lot better with Wifi. As always YMMV.

Good to know thanks :)

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
my 3gs on ios 4 always kept wifi connected
my 4 on ios 4/5 always kept wifi connected
my 4s on ios 5/6 always kept wifi connected
my current 5 on ios 6/7gm still always keeps wifi connected

in a low power state that sometimes pinging it doesnt go through, but the icon is instantly there when i wake the device (no quick switch from 3g icon like the 3gs did before ios4) & the router constantly shows the device connected. also verified with disabling cell data, all notifications still come in over wifi with <1 sec ~ 4 sec delay which is aka normal.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If non-celluar iOS device, then you get WIFI always on after locked.

My experience is it's the same if on a cellular iPad without a SIM card in it. I expect it will be the same for the iPhone, but I haven't tried this yet.

-----------------------------

I've installed iOS 7 GM now and WiFi still drops after about a minute for me. Apple just does a better job of hiding it, because when you wake up the phone from sleep, by the time the fade in animation has completed the WiFi icon is there.

I opened a command prompt on Windows and did "ping -t <phone ip address>" which continuously pings the device until you stop it. After about a minute, the requests start to time out, which indicates it has disconnected from the WiFi network.

I'm starting to get a bit irritated that Apple is refusing to offer any kind of solution for this. My iPhone might as well be a paperweight if I can't get notifications on it because the network signal is bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.