Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

999blb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
iOS 7 is going to be released to the public soon, and I'm unsure whether or not I should upgrade up to it. I own an iPhone 4S that is jailbroken on iOS 6.1.2, and I really want to try out iOS 7.
What are the positives/negatives to upgrading to iOS 7 or staying on my current firmware?

Thanks.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
The negative would be you'd loose your jailbreak until a jailbreak for ios 7 comes out. The positive would be you get iOS 7.

For me. I gave up 6 jailbreak the day iOS beta 1 came out and never looked back. no regrets.

Other then reading, try to head out to a store next friday and try ios 7 out for yourself.

plainwhitetay

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
North-east, Indiana
My biggest regret was losing my 6.1.2 jailbreak to try the iOS 7 beta. Luckily I go into 6.0.2 when the signing messed up weeks back. I'm on an iPhone 5, and probably won't go to iOS 7 until I upgrade to a phone it was built for or iOS 7 is jailbroken. Haven't decided yet.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
My jailbreak is too valuable to me compared to a "new look".
It isn't just a "new look." Use it and apps designed for it and it is more like a brand new OS.

It really depends on what jailbreak tweaks and apps you use as to whether it's worth it for you to lose your jailbreak.

Also, remember that the iOS 7 jailbreak seems to be coming along nicely. They're making rapid progress so you may not be without a jailbreak fon long.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
iOS 7 is going to be released to the public soon, and I'm unsure whether or not I should upgrade up to it. I own an iPhone 4S that is jailbroken on iOS 6.1.2, and I really want to try out iOS 7.
What are the positives/negatives to upgrading to iOS 7 or staying on my current firmware?

Thanks.

I'd stay with 6.1.2. Only upgrade to iOS7 when it's absolutely necessary; for example, if your fav apps no longer support iOS6.

----------

It isn't just a "new look." Use it and apps designed for it and it is more like a brand new OS.

Well, let's state this:

- it has some new API niceties but, IMHO, nothing groundbreaking.
- as usual with Apple, Style over Functionality. (This is why my next phone will be a Nexus 5 - I'm pretty much fed up with the over-restrictive and incapable walled garden and the comparative lack of innovation of iOS / Apple.)

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I'm struggling with the same thing. The only tweaks I keep on my jailroken iPhone 5 are are MyWi and My3G. I'm dying to try iOS 7 but I have to wait until the iOS 7 jailbreak is released.

JoshyMochy

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
I'm struggling with the same thing. The only tweaks I keep on my jailroken iPhone 5 are are MyWi and My3G. I'm dying to try iOS 7 but I have to wait until the iOS 7 jailbreak is released.

I had ios 7 beta 6 for 2 weeks because i was "curious". It was cool but I thought the official ios 7 gm was being released the day of the big apple conference so i downgraded to 6.1.4. Now i spend my life trying to google a way to jailbreak cause i miss cydia so much. Lol

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I had ios 7 beta 6 for 2 weeks because i was "curious". It was cool but I thought the official ios 7 gm was being released the day of the big apple conference so i downgraded to 6.1.4. Now i spend my life trying to google a way to jailbreak cause i miss cydia so much. Lol

iOS7 GM was released shortly after the end of the conference ?

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
My wife & I both own jailbroken 4S'. I plan on getting the 5S, updating & giving her my 4S to replace her busted speaker 4S. Keeping her JB 4S as a spare. Got to have at least 1 JB device in the household. ;) :D

JoshyMochy

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Only a couple more days until the public release will be available for you.

Im just affraid that the GM is somehow gonna be buggy cause its not OTA so thats why i downgraded to 6.1.4 to wait for the public one. Is that false thinking??

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Im just affraid that the GM is somehow gonna be buggy cause its not OTA so thats why i downgraded to 6.1.4 to wait for the public one. Is that false thinking??

You are seemingly still confused :confused:

The GM is out, released on the afternoon of the conference, intended for developers only. The GM is never released as an OTA update since it is intended for developers - as far as all it's issues, read about them here --> https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/165/

The public release happens Wednesday the 18th, it is not labeled nor called a GM (although the GM may be identical to the public release). It should also be available OTA.

I would expect it to have all the same issues documented here --> https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/165/

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
Curious...seen a rumours somewhere that Apple are currently testing iOS7.0.1, 7.0.2 and 7.1 wondering if this is a future quick release to close the latest iOS7 exploits?

JoshyMochy

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Ok then im just gonna wait for the public release this time then. Im not sure how it let me install the beta 6 ipsw without a dev accnt but it did after 3 tries.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Ok then im just gonna wait for the public release this time then. Im not sure how it let me install the beta 6 ipsw without a dev accnt but it did after 3 tries.

For whatever reason, Apple disabled the UDID activation requirement on this round of betas :confused:

----------

Curious...seen a rumours somewhere that Apple are currently testing iOS7.0.1, 7.0.2 and 7.1 wondering if this is a future quick release to close the latest iOS7 exploits?

Apple seems to be testing various firmware builds (actually updates) on internal devices (Apple test devices or devices used by Apple employees)

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/1...0-2-ios-7-1-and-ios-8-showing-up-in-web-logs/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.