Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
Is it going to be possible to order (on the 20th at 3:01 AM EST) the iPhone 5s to picked up in store?

And I know, none of us know, but I'm wondering if this was ever an option, or if this has been something they've done years before

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to have the 5s guaranteed on the 20th.

U4icLab

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
SoCal
Good question. I'm curious as well. It seems that since this year's release is slightly unique w/o preorders for the flagship phone, people are 50/50 on whether the pickup in store option will be selectable. IF it is, how does the process work on launch days? Is priority given to those in line/camped out? Or, are online orders with pickup in store set aside THAT day (20th)?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
The email i got doesn't make it seem like it will be an option

i621.png

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Ill be honest. I hope not because if im in line for 8 hours and then some guy preorders it at midnight and reserves it in store and is able to walk right in and get it, well then ill be a shi**y kitty

importraverxx

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Ill be honest. I hope not because if im in line for 8 hours and then some guy preorders it at midnight and reserves it in store and is able to walk right in and get it, well then ill be a shi**y kitty

Then how come you don't become that guy that preorders it at midnight and walk right in to get it? but instead willing to wait 8 hours in line?

HM Apple

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have done it both ways so you never know till the App Store or web site reopens. If store pickup is available it will give you the choice, if not it is shipping only. The time I did store pick up it was cool, they had web orders stacked on the Genius Bar with your name on it, and they made two separate lines for the web sold and the walk in. There are no guarantees for Sep 20, but an Apple retail store as early as you can is probably the best bet.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
My guess is no, and here's why.

I tried to do that option with the 5c via preorder just to test and it doesn't allow you to choose the "pick up at store"... The option is greyed out at checkout.

Now obviously this COULD change come the morning of the 20th, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
I chatted with apple customer service and they said it won't be an option.

A new idea I just had... I'm thinking of ordering a non subsidized phone online and then waiting in line at the AT&T store. If I get my phone at the store I'll cancel the online order. If not, I'll see if I can get a refund for difference (or just return it?)

Thoughts??

Last edited:

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Then how come you don't become that guy that preorders it at midnight and walk right in to get it? but instead willing to wait 8 hours in line?

Because they have yet to say whether they eill do that or not. If they do, awesome, just let us know before we start lining up

----------

Oooooh man. Looks like I'm calling in sick and setting up camp at around 4-5 AM.:mad:

Yep, same here. I live in Indy and i plan pn going to the only one (keystone) and waiting. Ill probably get there around 3 am

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
I called up Apple earlier actually about this and they confirmed there will be no in-store pick ups.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Thoughts??

AT&T is letting me upgrade this year but I have to call and order, my upgrade date if I go into the store is Sept 2014 but they will override it if I order on the phone.

Once my order is placed the rep said the phone is shipped with 2 day delivery, so I will get it Monday or Tuesday of the following week.

I may lose popularity points if I don't get it on Friday, but hey, thats OK.

What's wrong with picking one option and going with that?

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
Damn, that's unfortunate that we can't

I'm planning on calling my local apple store on the 19th, seeing how many they have in stock, then if it's a lot, I will go around 6PM, and if it's not, order at 3 AM and pay for the earliest shipping possible

OpTic Jayex

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Broken Arrow
Will Walmart have them?

I read that Walmart will have the 5C and the 5S on Sept. 20th. Should i show up early Friday morning to Walmart or my Apple Store? I'm with ATT&T btw.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
AT&T is letting me upgrade this year but I have to call and order, my upgrade date if I go into the store is Sept 2014 but they will override it if I order on the phone.

Once my order is placed the rep said the phone is shipped with 2 day delivery, so I will get it Monday or Tuesday of the following week.

I may lose popularity points if I don't get it on Friday, but hey, thats OK.

What's wrong with picking one option and going with that?

Nothing's "wrong" with that. But I enjoy having in on the first day.

By the way, I would be VERY skeptical about a customer service rep offering to upgrade you a YEAR early. I have had many issues with AT&T where Id talk to 3 reps & they all told me something different. If you haven't talked to at least a 2nd person I would highly recommend it.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
If you haven't talked to at least a 2nd person I would highly recommend it.

I've talked to 3.

I called back in May to ask about my upgrade options (9 months into my contract), they offered me an upgrade and asked what phone I wanted, "any phone except the iPhone" she said.

I wasn't ready to buy just yet because I was waiting for WWDC and iOS 7. She noted my account that they are offering me to upgrade now and said to call back whenever I was ready.

I called Wednesday (4 months later), she found the note and spoke with her supervisor who said they will still honor it, asked what phone I wanted and I said "iPhone 5S", she put me on hold to talk to her supervisor and came back and said "yes, you can get that phone".

I called back this morning to confirm and this guy also spoke to his supervisor who said their will be no problem come friday.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I read that Walmart will have the 5C and the 5S on Sept. 20th. Should i show up early Friday morning to Walmart or my Apple Store? I'm with ATT&T btw.

You can but Walmart stocks can be risky. They don't tend to get very many phones in, and it seems to always be significantly less than they say it will. And I don't know about other Walmart stores but my local one tends to get mainly 16gb, if that matters.

OpTic Jayex

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Broken Arrow
Walmart is closer to me

My Walmart is a lot closer to me than my local Apple Store so i'm more inclined to go to Walmart vs. the Apple Store. How early should i show up? Camp overnight?

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
I called back this morning to confirm and this guy also spoke to his supervisor who said their will be no problem come friday.

Cool. You're sure it's not an "early upgrade"? I was told by one person I was eligible, then months later they said it was only for an early upgrade that would cost like $200 more.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Cool. You're sure it's not an "early upgrade"? I was told by one person I was eligible, then months later they said it was only for an early upgrade that would cost like $200 more.

I confirmed that also, its a full upgrade.

iPhone 5S 32GB $299, thats what she told me.

januse72

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2013
Just one caution about Walmart. Went there Friday to pre order the 5c for my wife. Customer Service couldn't get the item codes to work, manager couldn't get it to work, and then they called corporate. They took my info and said they'd call when the pre order system was working. It's been over 24 hrs now. I just ordered from Apple.

I asked if things would ready for the 5s. The manager stared blankly at the paper with the 5c info and said the 5s wasn't on there and shrugged and walked away. Yeah, not so confident about going there.

OpTic Jayex

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Broken Arrow
Mine might be different

januse72, My Walmart may be different. I'm hoping to go to Walmart this afternoon to see if there's some more info about my Walmart with the 5S. The Apple Store will more than likely be the best bet. I should probably show up around 3 or 4 a.m. The mall doesn't open till 10 a.m so i have no idea what i'll do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.