Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Best option for drawing objects for animating in Flash? Flash itself or Illustrator?

I have a class project due in two weeks and can't decide whether to draw my objects in Flash, or use Illustrator. Which is the better of the two in the long run considering I'm going to have to animate it in Flash anyway? Do people usually stay within just Flash, or do they bring in Illustrator stuff aswell?

I'm limited to vector based art.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 06:55 PM   #2
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Been awhile since I did anything in Flash. But I always used Illustrator as well as Flash to create animations. I used Illustrator for the more complicated art and Flash for the simple things. I always found Illustrator to be easier to work with vectors especially when dealing with many layers.

And as all Adobes programs are so integrated to work together, it is easy to bring your work from Illustrator into Flash. On some occasions I even used Photoshop. I guess I always thought of Flash as being an animation tool, but do know that it can do so much more.

This is how I worked with them, but I know every person is different in their work styles. This was just the easiest way for me.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
Been awhile since I did anything in Flash. But I always used Illustrator as well as Flash to create animations. I used Illustrator for the more complicated art and Flash for the simple things. I always found Illustrator to be easier to work with vectors especially when dealing with many layers.

And as all Adobes programs are so integrated to work together, it is easy to bring your work from Illustrator into Flash. On some occasions I even used Photoshop. I guess I always thought of Flash as being an animation tool, but do know that it can do so much more.

This is how I worked with them, but I know every person is different in their work styles. This was just the easiest way for me.
Alright, thanks. Was just wondering, because I made the small bits which are just simple shapes that are required, and I should use the Flash built-in tools for that. But I didn't know about the rest. I think I'm going to use Illustrator just because I don't enjoy the way selections work in Flash. It's a nightmare since the fills and strokes and just everything in general can be screwed up with a bad selection.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:13 PM   #4
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Alright, thanks. Was just wondering, because I made the small bits which are just simple shapes that are required, and I should use the Flash built-in tools for that. But I didn't know about the rest. I think I'm going to use Illustrator just because I don't enjoy the way selections work in Flash. It's a nightmare since the fills and strokes and just everything in general can be screwed up with a bad selection.
Hence why I did my builds in Illustrator and PS. Much easier. Let Illustrator make it look good and Flash do the animation.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:38 AM   #5
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post

I have a class project due in two weeks and can't decide whether to draw my objects in Flash, or use Illustrator. Which is the better of the two in the long run considering I'm going to have to animate it in Flash anyway? Do people usually stay within just Flash, or do they bring in Illustrator stuff aswell?

I'm limited to vector based art.
I think I'd build my layout primarily in Illustrator in case I ever need to use in the future for "companion" projects such as packaging or literature. Graphics built in Flash don't always export well but most Illustrator graphics import into Flash w/o a hitch.
designs216 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics