Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:37 PM   #1
chimpboy74
macrumors 6502a

Trying to export iCal to google calendar

Hi
I'm trying to export my current iCal to google calendar. I have gone to iCal on my Mac mini and exported the ics file to desktop. Problem is. When I import it to google calendar it says zero events imported. In iCal I can see lots of items (almost every day). What am I doing wrong?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:40 PM   #2
ItHurtsWhenIP
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpboy74 View Post
Hi
I'm trying to export my current iCal to google calendar. I have gone to iCal on my Mac mini and exported the ics file to desktop. Problem is. When I import it to google calendar it says zero events imported. In iCal I can see lots of items (almost every day). What am I doing wrong?
I just tried it. It said imported x amount of entries but they don't show up on the calendar..

Last edited by ItHurtsWhenIP; Sep 14, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
ItHurtsWhenIP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:46 PM   #3
chimpboy74
macrumors 6502a

I have gone to www.google.com/calendar

On the left column of page there is a drop down for other calendars. Click that then import calendar.

----------

Mine says zero events imported but I have tonnes.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:58 PM   #4
ItHurtsWhenIP
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I have gone to www.google.com/calendar

On the left column of page there is a drop down for other calendars. Click that then import calendar.

----------

Mine says zero events imported but I have tonnes.
Yea, I did find where the import option was, but mine is a little different.

It said 58 items imported, but still none show up.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 06:18 PM   #5
chimpboy74
macrumors 6502a

Its doing my head in. I've been on I phones since the first and been a mobileme user since it launched. Decided to switch to a nexus4 recently and actually enjoying the change (I'm no apple fanboy nor am I a fandroid) but this is the last bit that's causing a headache. My wife uses iCal all the time to remember kids sports clubs etc and she is getting her nexus on Monday (she was impressed too) and she will be annoyed if she has to re enter all of those.
chimpboy74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:35 PM   #6
ItHurtsWhenIP
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Its doing my head in. I've been on I phones since the first and been a mobileme user since it launched. Decided to switch to a nexus4 recently and actually enjoying the change (I'm no apple fanboy nor am I a fandroid) but this is the last bit that's causing a headache. My wife uses iCal all the time to remember kids sports clubs etc and she is getting her nexus on Monday (she was impressed too) and she will be annoyed if she has to re enter all of those.
OK, I think I figured it out.

When you open up Calendar on your Mac you need to export each section separately. Mine are listed under iCloud. I have Home, Work and School. I right-clicked on School, exported it and it imported into Google Calendar perfectly.

Give that a shot. I'm not sure what to do when you add something to the iCal calendar, but I assume the worst case is that you export/import again to update it.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 02:10 AM   #7
chimpboy74
macrumors 6502a

Sorry to be a pain but can you explain each step? When I go to export it only gives me option of exporting calendar. No sections or choices

EDIT: never mind. I figured it out. HOWEVER under calendars I see 1 under "on my mac" called "calendar" and 2 under my email address "calendar" and "home"

Should I export all 3 or is the on my mac calendar a duplicate if my iCloud 2 (don't want everything duplicated!)

Last edited by chimpboy74; Sep 15, 2013 at 02:46 AM.
chimpboy74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:23 AM   #8
ItHurtsWhenIP
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sorry to be a pain but can you explain each step? When I go to export it only gives me option of exporting calendar. No sections or choices

EDIT: never mind. I figured it out. HOWEVER under calendars I see 1 under "on my mac" called "calendar" and 2 under my email address "calendar" and "home"

Should I export all 3 or is the on my mac calendar a duplicate if my iCloud 2 (don't want everything duplicated!)
For me, the only ones that worked were the ones under iCloud. I'd export all 3, but import one at a time. I'd bet the one named "calendar" doesn't show up.

In the picture, these are the calendars I have. The ones under iCloud are the ones I can import into Google. Now that the iCloud calendars are loaded into Google, checking the Gmail account box at the top results in everything showing up twice.
Attached Images

Old Sep 15, 2013, 05:59 AM   #9
chimpboy74
macrumors 6502a

Think I'm all sorted on calendar. Thanks for your help!!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices