Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Husky1992

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
rome
Hi
I was wondering how I could sync the time machine over wifi connecting an external 3.5'' hdd with it's dock to my Asus RT n66u router

(I currently connect it with usb with this thing but I do it every 2 weeks and I'd like something always up to date!)
Free-shipping-Card-Reader-USB-2-0-2-5-3-5-SATA-IDE-font-b-Hard.jpg

the router has 2 usb ports but I don't know how and if it's possible

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It won't work with that model router. To backup with Time Machine to USB like that the router needs to support the Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) network communication service. From looking at the specs online, it does not look like your router supports AFP.

Usually when shopping you will see something in the spec about "supports Time Machine"... this means the router does support AFP.

Husky1992

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
rome
It won't work with that model router. To backup with Time Machine to USB like that the router needs to support the Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) network communication service. From looking at the specs online, it does not look like your router supports AFP.

Usually when shopping you will see something in the spec about "supports Time Machine"... this means the router does support AFP.
is it possible only with afp?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
is it possible only with afp?

It officially only works with AFP. If you Google around you will see some people got it to work using the SMB network protocol, but it is not reliable and it is not a good idea to trust your data to that solution.

Husky1992

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
rome
It officially only works with AFP. If you Google around you will see some people got it to work using the SMB network protocol, but it is not reliable and it is not a good idea to trust your data to that solution.

ok thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.