Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 14, 2013, 11:57 PM   #1
Munky
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location based reminders not working for iOS 7?

So my location based reminders stopped working with beta 4 (the first one I installed) and every beta since then, and even the GM, they still don't work. I set them myself, or I ask Siri to do it and they never ever work. Yet my frequent locations are pretty accurate...

Anyone else having this problem?
Munky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:37 AM   #2
grockk
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Do you have background app refresh turned off. Or off for reminders. That needs to be on for location reminders to work.
grockk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:03 AM   #3
BreeeZe
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: the Netherlands
Yep..
Not working for me either..

And background app refresh is on.
BreeeZe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:48 AM   #4
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816
 
aDRock1154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
So my location based reminders stopped working with beta 4 (the first one I installed) and every beta since then, and even the GM, they still don't work. I set them myself, or I ask Siri to do it and they never ever work. Yet my frequent locations are pretty accurate...

Anyone else having this problem?
Had this problem since the betas. Got it to work once on beta 4 or 5.

Not working in the GM at all.
aDRock1154 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040
 
Dwalls90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Yea it's been shaky. I think the new version of iCloud needs to be activated or something, hopefully it's a server side fix.
__________________
rMBP 4850HQ & iPhone 6
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:35 AM   #6
secordry
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
ios7 still not working

Ok, so I have tried everything... even after the release of ios7 location based reminders will not go off when I get somewhere or leave.


What gives?
secordry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:14 PM   #7
ahwman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by secordry View Post
Ok, so I have tried everything... even after the release of ios7 location based reminders will not go off when I get somewhere or leave.


What gives?
I'm seeing the same thing from my end. It has been working flawlessly with both iOS 6 and iOS 7 GM, however yesterday it stopped working and I no longer have the Geofence indicator active in the status bar unless I keep the Reminders app running in the background. Nothing has changed in my configuration so I'm puzzled as to why it would just quit working, unless something's gone haywire from Apple's end. I even did a full wipe of my iPhone 5 and fresh install of iOS 7 and the same behavior continues even with a fresh install. Very frustrating...
ahwman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 06:46 AM   #8
secordry
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
I'm seeing the same thing from my end. It has been working flawlessly with both iOS 6 and iOS 7 GM, however yesterday it stopped working and I no longer have the Geofence indicator active in the status bar unless I keep the Reminders app running in the background. Nothing has changed in my configuration so I'm puzzled as to why it would just quit working, unless something's gone haywire from Apple's end. I even did a full wipe of my iPhone 5 and fresh install of iOS 7 and the same behavior continues even with a fresh install. Very frustrating...

agreed. I can see my Geofence and can set up the reminder but it just doesn't go off. This thread is really the only thing I have seen online regarding this issue. I was supposed to pick something up for the baby momma on the way home from work yesterday and forgot because my reminder didn't remind me when I was passing the store... Obviously it wasn't pleasant when I got home... Damn you Apple, lol.
secordry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:09 AM   #9
Jason Edwards
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I read somewhere that apps will now have to be open/running for this type of stuff to work. Open you location settings with the Reminders running. It will show the geofence triangle. Then close the Reminders app and the geofence triangle disappears.

It does the same thing for me so I tested this out. As long as Reminders is open the location reminders work.

Jason
Jason Edwards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:14 AM   #10
secordry
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Edwards View Post
I read somewhere that apps will now have to be open/running for this type of stuff to work. Open you location settings with the Reminders running. It will show the geofence triangle. Then close the Reminders app and the geofence triangle disappears.

It does the same thing for me so I tested this out. As long as Reminders is open the location reminders work.

Jason
I see what your saying and I tried that yesterday. I left the reminders app open and ran a test and it still didn't work.
secordry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:21 AM   #11
iceman027
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
having the same issue, noticed it today
iceman027 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 05:17 PM   #12
Stef.Oh
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Sigh

So am I. I've been searching the web for other people having this same issue and this is all I've found so far. It works fine if I set a specific time, just not with locations. I've tried turning things off and back on and tried multiple locations both arriving and leaving...
Stef.Oh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 07:40 PM   #13
docal97
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef.Oh View Post
So am I. I've been searching the web for other people having this same issue and this is all I've found so far. It works fine if I set a specific time, just not with locations. I've tried turning things off and back on and tried multiple locations both arriving and leaving...
Perhaps submit this to Apple as a potential bug. Maybe they can fix in in a upcoming software update.
docal97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 05:44 AM   #14
opnancy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
My original post on this was that Location does not work in Calendar. Somehow, this became a discussion on location links in Reminders. Sounds like Apple needs tio be aware of both of these Location issues.
opnancy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 01:07 PM   #15
Stef.Oh
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Solution

I was messing around with this a lot yesterday and I found a solution, for my phone anyway. I tried out several different methods and found that if Background App Referesh is on as well as making sure the app is still running in the background, the notifications will work. It doesn't work with one or the other. Hopefully this works for other people as well.
Stef.Oh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 03:24 AM   #16
Checco70
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
I got exactly the same problem.
I'm very disappointed as I use it a lot.
Leaving the app open in background is a workaround not the solution!
Can someone tell me how can I report a but to apple?

Last edited by Checco70; Sep 26, 2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Incomplete
Checco70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 07:50 PM   #17
ATC
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef.Oh View Post
I was messing around with this a lot yesterday and I found a solution, for my phone anyway. I tried out several different methods and found that if Background App Referesh is on as well as making sure the app is still running in the background, the notifications will work. It doesn't work with one or the other. Hopefully this works for other people as well.
Thanks for this. Geofenced Reminders were driving me nuts for the past few days and upon turning on background App refresh it started working. I'm finally seeing the hollow arrow on top again.
ATC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 01:12 PM   #18
Munky
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
The location based reminders STILL don't work even as I have upgraded to the iPhone 5s. This is pissing me off!
Munky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 01:02 PM   #19
kds1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York, New York
Yes, I have this same problem, they are not working at all. It really sucks and it's one of the things about iOS 7 that is pissing me off. It worked in iOS 6.
kds1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 05:14 PM   #20
Armen
macrumors 68030
 
Armen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Edwards View Post
I read somewhere that apps will now have to be open/running for this type of stuff to work. Open you location settings with the Reminders running. It will show the geofence triangle. Then close the Reminders app and the geofence triangle disappears.

It does the same thing for me so I tested this out. As long as Reminders is open the location reminders work.

Jason
That doesn't make sense. Phone, Mail, Calendar, Clock and Reminder apps are coded to run as system processes (PID 0). Even if you were "closing" them in task switcher you really aren't.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB Black (A1429); Mid 2013 Macbook Pro 8GB, 500GB; iPad Mini, 1st Gen Apple TV
Armen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 06:00 PM   #21
ATC
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
The location based reminders STILL don't work even as I have upgraded to the iPhone 5s. This is pissing me off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds1 View Post
Yes, I have this same problem, they are not working at all. It really sucks and it's one of the things about iOS 7 that is pissing me off. It worked in iOS 6.
Weird, mine's working fine on my iPhone 5. I had to re-enable Background App Refresh for geofenced reminders to work.

I just tested it with 2 reminds, one for when leaving work and another for when I arrive home. Upon setting the reminders the little hollow GPS arrow showed up on the top of the screen.

The reminder for when leaving work was a little late in showing up; on my 20 minute drive home, the reminder came on about 5 minutes into the drive (possibly due to the geofence radius, which you can now set in iOS7). Arriving home, I just noticed it on my lock screen when I walked in my house.
ATC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 07:57 AM   #22
fuzion11
macrumors 65816
 
fuzion11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to fuzion11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC View Post
Weird, mine's working fine on my iPhone 5. I had to re-enable Background App Refresh for geofenced reminders to work.

I just tested it with 2 reminds, one for when leaving work and another for when I arrive home. Upon setting the reminders the little hollow GPS arrow showed up on the top of the screen.

The reminder for when leaving work was a little late in showing up; on my 20 minute drive home, the reminder came on about 5 minutes into the drive (possibly due to the geofence radius, which you can now set in iOS7). Arriving home, I just noticed it on my lock screen when I walked in my house.
Where can you possibly set the geofence radius? Please explain! Thanks.
__________________
Game Center id: fuzion11
Black iPhone 6 - 64GB - iOS 8.0.2
fuzion11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 09:15 AM   #23
ATC
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzion11 View Post
Where can you possibly set the geofence radius? Please explain! Thanks.
When you are setting up the reminder and click the switch "Remind me at a location" and then click on Location, the screen below shows up. You can then drag the black dot to make the radius smaller or larger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1018.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	438628  
ATC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 08:16 PM   #24
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC View Post
When you are setting up the reminder and click the switch "Remind me at a location" and then click on Location, the screen below shows up. You can then drag the black dot to make the radius smaller or larger.
Is your reminders app running in the background when your geofence reminder works? Mine is working like others, only when it's running in the background. If I close it I don't get them. And the radius is set to the smallest point...something like 326 feet.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 08:24 PM   #25
ATC
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
Is your reminders app running in the background when your geofence reminder works? Mine is working like others, only when it's running in the background. If I close it I don't get them. And the radius is set to the smallest point...something like 326 feet.
Yes, when I double tap the home button I see my Reminders app is running in the background. I believe it has to in order for geofenced reminders to work.
ATC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 7 Location Based Reminders Not Working eric3312 iOS 7 7 Jan 15, 2014 07:49 AM
Location based reminders STILL not working. Anyone else? Munky iOS 7 3 Oct 9, 2013 02:09 PM
Location Based Reminders - Still not working... Colin Len iOS 6 12 Oct 3, 2013 10:32 AM
Location based reminders for non city addresses not working keevill iPhone 0 Jul 28, 2012 11:28 PM
Are location reminders working on new iPad with iOS 6? Apple TarHeel iOS 6 2 Jun 16, 2012 09:55 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC