Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:37 AM   #1
muratime
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dubai
Why Apple doesn't launch bigger screen Iphone as well??

I admire Apple like most of users here..

However I see lots of my friends and most people in internet demanding bigger screen phone.. (including myself). Most of them selecting/changing their phones due to mainly screen size reasons.

I am curious, why Apple doesn't launch bigger screen phone next to existing one?

I am happy with new functions of Iphone 5s like fringerprint, slow motion video etc.. however this was not consumer expectation. Why not first answering customer demand than make innovation...

I checked all internet, I couldn't find any official announcment why Apple ignores an OBVIOUS DEMAND from its users?
Such a blind attitude is that?

Why Ipad had different sizes? Why Macbooks in different screen sizes? then why ihone stuck to 4 inches only..

Can anybody explain this to me for god sake???

(maybe it is told, but I checked all forum titles, nobody is asking the obvious obviously...) we own a explanation from Apple

regards,

Murat
muratime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:45 AM   #2
pmau
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I phone is a phone, a tablet is a tablet.
No need to build bigger phones.

Other companies have to release often to make revenue.
There's no other reason to change specs besides selling more units.

This is why the 5c is still expensive.
If Apple would enter the low-price, quick release cycle market they would drop like a stone.

For all others it's about units sold, not quality.

Buy a bigger phone, but be prepared to buy one every year, because you will not get any updates. That's the business. And Apple does not play along for a reason.
pmau is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Glassman
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
two words - software fragmentation

Apple of course has no issue creating phone of any screen size, but straying from the 3.5" or 4" with 640px horizontal resolution would result in forking the iPhone apps into two different form factors. Consistency is a fundamental strength of Apple's App ecosystem and bigger screen size is going to make things complicated. They'll probably have to swallow that pill sooner or later, but it's going to be a bitter one.
Glassman is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:20 AM   #4
muratime
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dubai
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmau View Post
I phone is a phone, a tablet is a tablet.
No need to build bigger phones.
----- Sorry I disagree; also this is 100% personal comment. What makes phone special to have single size unit whereas all other electronic devices can vary for consumer's convenience and personal preferences?

Other companies have to release often to make revenue.
There's no other reason to change specs besides selling more units.
----- Sorry, I coudn't get your reply, why not another premium phone with 5 inches just keep that part of the market in Apple's hand?

This is why the 5c is still expensive.
If Apple would enter the low-price, quick release cycle market they would drop like a stone.
---- this is another area of dicussion


For all others it's about units sold, not quality.
----- who says there won't be quality in bigger units, if Apple wants they can do

Buy a bigger phone, but be prepared to buy one every year, because you will not get any updates. That's the business. And Apple does not play along for a reason.
------ I'll change my phone in some period anyway, regardless brand.. units get old, you got bored.. you Apple or others. Average 2 years you change it..

Anyway thanks for the comments, but really didn't make sense to me.. especially your starting sounds like, 'because I or Apple say so..'

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassman View Post
two words - software fragmentation

Apple of course has no issue creating phone of any screen size, but straying from the 3.5" or 4" with 640px horizontal resolution would result in forking the iPhone apps into two different form factors. Consistency is a fundamental strength of Apple's App ecosystem and bigger screen size is going to make things complicated. They'll probably have to swallow that pill sooner or later, but it's going to be a bitter one.
A good point of approach.. but not more than a 'EXCUSE'...
As you rightly wrote, sooner or later it is gonna happen, so why not highest revenue making company dond't do it when needed.. as much as it is late, other brands benefit, that's the only reason they place all their premium models in 5 inches.. they wait there for the ones which Apple doesn't respect their demand..
Nokia once thinking they do everything correct, they know everything right, once they undesrtood the consumer needs, it was too late to move already...

regards...
muratime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:21 AM   #5
bunnicula
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I've never demanded it.
bunnicula is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Rafterman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
A bigger screen. 128GB. Wireless AC. NFC. There's a lot of stuff Apple could have added and didn't. Few people I know of clamored for a fingerprint scanner or 64 bit. The 64 bit I can see as I see Apple wanting to position their iOS software empire for the future. But a fingerprint scanner? That would be pretty low on most people's list of stuff they would have liked to be upgraded on the new iPhone.

Most people would have probably liked a bigger screen or 128GB. And that's why a lot of people see the new iPhone as a disappointment. Not a disappointment for the phone itself as a piece of hardware, but a disappointment in relation to what we got a year ago.
Rafterman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7
muratime
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dubai
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnicula View Post
I've never demanded it.
good for you.. but me and maybe millions more demands to use a bigger screen iphone..
muratime is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:33 AM   #8
bunnicula
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafterman View Post
A bigger screen. 128GB. Wireless AC. NFC. There's a lot of stuff Apple could have added and didn't. Few people I know of clamored for a fingerprint scanner or 64 bit. The 64 bit I can see as I see Apple wanting to position their iOS software empire for the future. But a fingerprint scanner? That would be pretty low on most people's list of stuff they would have liked to be upgraded on the new iPhone.

Most people would have probably liked a bigger screen or 128GB. And that's why a lot of people see the new iPhone as a disappointment. Not a disappointment for the phone itself as a piece of hardware, but a disappointment in relation to what we got a year ago.
I would've liked 128gb. Mostly because 64gb is still great for me, and the price would probably drop on those.

I don't really want a bigger screen. If they made one and it wasn't huge, I might enjoy it. It's just not a big deal to me.

What do people want larger screens for? Gaming? Watching media? Web?

I might appreciate it for web, I guess.
bunnicula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:33 AM   #9
muratime
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dubai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafterman View Post
A bigger screen. 128GB. Wireless AC. NFC. There's a lot of stuff Apple could have added and didn't. Few people I know of clamored for a fingerprint scanner or 64 bit. The 64 bit I can see as I see Apple wanting to position their iOS software empire for the future. But a fingerprint scanner? That would be pretty low on most people's list of stuff they would have liked to be upgraded on the new iPhone.

Most people would have probably liked a bigger screen or 128GB. And that's why a lot of people see the new iPhone as a disappointment. Not a disappointment for the phone itself as a piece of hardware, but a disappointment in relation to what we got a year ago.
I agree..
It is still the best phone out there.. but pity only one size..
muratime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:34 AM   #10
bunnicula
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by muratime View Post
I agree..
It is still the best phone out there.. but pity only one size..
I am glad it's just 2 sizes (4 and 5 are different sizes).

I hope they keep it that way. Better for developers. Better apps.
bunnicula is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:42 AM   #11
muratime
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dubai
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnicula View Post
I would've liked 128gb. Mostly because 64gb is still great for me, and the price would probably drop on those.

I don't really want a bigger screen. If they made one and it wasn't huge, I might enjoy it. It's just not a big deal to me.

What do people want larger screens for? Gaming? Watching media? Web?

I might appreciate it for web, I guess.
Yes, mainly WEB and reading stuff.. also watching video, also looking at photos.. maybe you can place a bigger battery behind, I don;t know, everybody might have their reason.. it is same case how you choose your notebook. at the end of the day you look at them from similar distance, but there are reasons you prefer 11 inch or 13 inch with same specs..
or think for ipad..
how many apple fans became happy when they launched ipad mini..
exact same usage purpose.. even though it was less specs it sold a lot..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnicula View Post
I am glad it's just 2 sizes (4 and 5 are different sizes).

I hope they keep it that way. Better for developers. Better apps.
Others are there for customers..
so question is that is better for customers..
you can't decide it on behalf of them.. you give options, this is supposed to be your part of your service quality..

If it is due to technological difficulties, like application issues, developer convenience.. then you shall be brave anough to say below:
' sorry we are not able to reply demands of some users due to some technical issues '
how does it sound?
maybe they scare you turn the chanelll )

that's what I am saying,
they can't say the OBVIOUS OBVIOUSLY

they give TECHNICAL ERROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is it.
muratime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:54 AM   #12
javisan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Because they are stubborn and arrogant in their decision making by not listening to the demands of the majority of its users.

But, slowly, they will pay for it. They'll learn their lesson.
__________________
iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 2 16GB 3G, iPad 3 16GB Wifi, Mac Mini (Mid 2010), MacBook Air (i7, 8GB, 256GB - Mid 2012), Apple TV (2nd Generation), Apple TV (3rd Generation)
javisan is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:57 AM   #13
bunnicula
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by muratime View Post
Yes, mainly WEB and reading stuff.. also watching video, also looking at photos.. maybe you can place a bigger battery behind, I don;t know, everybody might have their reason.. it is same case how you choose your notebook. at the end of the day you look at them from similar distance, but there are reasons you prefer 11 inch or 13 inch with same specs..
or think for ipad..
how many apple fans became happy when they launched ipad mini..
exact same usage purpose.. even though it was less specs it sold a lot..

----------



Others are there for customers..
so question is that is better for customers..
you can't decide it on behalf of them.. you give options, this is supposed to be your part of your service quality..

If it is due to technological difficulties, like application issues, developer convenience.. then you shall be brave anough to say below:
' sorry we are not able to reply demands of some users due to some technical issues '
how does it sound?
maybe they scare you turn the chanelll )

that's what I am saying,
they can't say the OBVIOUS OBVIOUSLY

they give TECHNICAL ERROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is it.
Keeping the phone to two sizes at a time IS serving the customer. Apps are plentiful and more stable.

If iPhone 6 is larger than 5, that'll be ok because Apple will have discontinued the 4S by then.

So, there will still be just 2 sizes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by javisan View Post
Because they are stubborn and arrogant in their decision making by not listening to the demands of the majority of its users.

But, slowly, they will pay for it. They'll learn their lesson.
Hahahaha!
bunnicula is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:59 AM   #14
pmau
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
???

I normally can handle illogical arguments, but the last 3 posts in this thread were not parsable for me.

Why should Apple fullfill your demands? They still sell millions.
They can use the same hardware, the same assembly lines and the same suplliers.

People said the 5c is too expensive and the 5s is not new.

But all of these people will buy either or both.
pmau is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:59 AM   #15
iAlphard
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Because apple doesn't have the luxury to do so. Unlike samsung, LG, Sony they have their own production machine. Apple doesn't have display factory, processor factory, etc. Everything apple made, made in another factory. Like foxconn, samsung, etc.
iAlphard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:04 AM   #16
GALAGA
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: vegas
buy a damn tablet if you want a bigger screen
GALAGA is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:06 AM   #17
AttilaTheHun
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnicula View Post
Keeping the phone to two sizes at a time IS serving the customer. Apps are plentiful and more stable.

If iPhone 6 is larger than 5, that'll be ok because Apple will have discontinued the 4S by then.

So, there will still be just 2 sizes.

----------



Hahahaha!
So far after I left Blackberry I tried the iphone and androied, the iphone was just easy and freindly to my logic, but I liked the size of samsung androied,
but could not adjust to the software,
the E Mail delete system drive me nut (no delete all)
and few more that I don't remmber now,
so for now I use the iphone till something better will catch my eyes
AttilaTheHun is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:11 AM   #18
muratime
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dubai
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmau View Post
???

I normally can handle illogical arguments, but the last 3 posts in this thread were not parsable for me.

Why should Apple fullfill your demands? They still sell millions.
They can use the same hardware, the same assembly lines and the same suplliers.

People said the 5c is too expensive and the 5s is not new.

But all of these people will buy either or both.
maybe it is beyond your logic, think like that.. it is called 'sological'
also I don't agree that it is my personal demand for bigger screen, you are trying to ignore the millions people demand, and saying Apple is happy with existing buyers.. I am existing buyer but I demand more.. so even if I am single user and demand big screen, I deserve a 'respectful answer'.. Thanks to God not everybody like you..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaTheHun View Post
So far after I left Blackberry I tried the iphone and androied, the iphone was just easy and freindly to my logic, but I liked the size of samsung androied,
but could not adjust to the software,
the E Mail delete system drive me nut (no delete all)
and few more that I don't remmber now,
so for now I use the iphone till something better will catch my eyes
this what I am talking about, I also think it is still best! but i want it bigger screen.. simple is that

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAGA View Post
buy a damn tablet if you want a bigger screen
but I need a phone around 5 inches! and I need it from Apple!!
muratime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:11 AM   #19
AttilaTheHun
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnicula View Post
I am glad it's just 2 sizes (4 and 5 are different sizes).

I hope they keep it that way. Better for developers. Better apps.
It still one size the iphone 5 it just longer, if it was wider and longer then the iphone 4 then you can say bigger.
AttilaTheHun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:24 AM   #20
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by muratime View Post
maybe it is beyond your logic, think like that.. it is called 'sological'
also I don't agree that it is my personal demand for bigger screen, you are trying to ignore the millions people demand, and saying Apple is happy with existing buyers.. I am existing buyer but I demand more.. so even if I am single user and demand big screen, I deserve a 'respectful answer'.. Thanks to God not everybody like you..
If you look at Apple's history as a company, rarely do they respond directly to user demand, so I'm not sure what type of "respectful answer" you're expecting from Apple (or anyone else) in regards to your question.

IMO, how many years (and millions of dollars in sales) did Apple lose to competitors making thinner/lighter notebooks before Apple came out with the MacBook Air?

How many BILLIONS of dollars did Apple lose being six years late to the smartphone market? Palm, Microsoft, BlackBerry were selling phones for half-a-decade before Apple did. Talk about a blind attitude towards an obvious demand.

IMO, you're wasting your energy, tilting at windmills, wondering (and expecting an answer for) why Apple does anything the way that they do.
aristobrat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:26 AM   #21
pmau
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by muratime View Post
so even if I am single user and demand big screen, I deserve a 'respectful answer'.. Thanks to God not everybody like you..
I respectfully tell you that Apple does not and cannot care about your demand.

They would drown in mediocracy, having multiple options, badly adopted Apps, wrong aspect ratios for movies etc.

I'm not sure why you think I disrespect you.

I just don't agree with you.

You can buy any phone that suits your needs for a bigger screen today.
There"s no need to wait.

But if you prefer the design and usability of iOS and its ecosystem, you can also stay with Apple ... it's simply your choice.

Don't complain that Apple doesn't listen to you, they are protecting their investment by not listening to everyone.

That's a good thing, even if you don't agree.

If Apple changes their design, I myself will have to rethink if I want to switch.
That's how consumers act in a free market.

Have a nice weekend. I have no idea why made you upset.
My apologies.
pmau is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:28 AM   #22
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816
 
SpyderBite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Xanadu
If Apple accommodated every customer demand, we'd have 10" iPhones and 4" ipads.
__________________
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
SpyderBite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:35 AM   #23
muratime
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dubai
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
If you look at Apple's history as a company, rarely do they respond directly to user demand, so I'm not sure what type of "respectful answer" you're expecting from Apple (or anyone else) in regards to your question.

IMO, how many years (and millions of dollars in sales) did Apple lose to competitors making thinner/lighter notebooks before Apple came out with the MacBook Air?

How many BILLIONS of dollars did Apple lose being six years late to the smartphone market? Palm, Microsoft, BlackBerry were selling phones for half-a-decade before Apple did. Talk about a blind attitude towards an obvious demand.

IMO, you're wasting your energy, tilting at windmills, wondering (and expecting an answer for) why Apple does anything the way that they do.

maybe you are right, but you can't know if you don't ask..
also I am open to any anwser here to understand and maybe learn.. there is nothing wrong about it.. if I am missing something I am sure I am not the only one..
some people comment here that it is due to application issues connected to sreeen size.. so if this is case.. it means there is a technical issue they need to overcome.. but this doesn't matter for me, i am cusotmer.. i only want, and whoever can supply it, they win..

yes they maybe lost billions, but I don't think on purpose..

what I see here, the problem is that Apple users are not thinkers.. Apple thinks on behalf of them and they obey.. they don't even demand. they think it is kind of sin.. or if somebody demands they just don't appreciate it.. not all but main users of Apple like this..
Everycompany needs such fans.. but it is not that fans who can take them upper level, it is demanding customers.. if the demand is not logic, there shall be official explanation.. that's what I am looking for..
muratime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:35 AM   #24
jdmass
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderBite View Post
If Apple accommodated every customer demand, we'd have 10" iPhones and 4" ipads.
We do have a 4" ipad -- it's called the ipod touch
jdmass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:39 AM   #25
bunnicula
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaTheHun View Post
It still one size the iphone 5 it just longer, if it was wider and longer then the iphone 4 then you can say bigger.
3.5 inches vs 4 inches

I may not be a mathematician, but last I checked? 3.5 and 4 are not the same size.
bunnicula is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If the iPhone gets a bigger screen would you want the icons to get bigger? The Doctor11 iPhone 4 Feb 4, 2014 01:54 AM
What are the chances Apple will release a bigger screen for the iPhone 6. Krissypantz2828 iPhone 82 Sep 26, 2013 08:10 AM
Does Apple need an iPhone with a bigger screen to stay competitive? Dolorian iPhone 147 Sep 4, 2013 09:56 AM
Apple NEEDS an iPhone with bigger screen size to silence critics. Radiating iPhone 58 Oct 29, 2012 10:23 AM
iPhone 5 really doesn't feel bigger in the hand! iBreatheApple iPhone 14 Sep 18, 2012 01:40 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC