Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
i am curious to why people buy the notes. i was in the store the other day and i just don't understand why and who are buying the samsung notes.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I understand their appeal and the functionality is great. I just can't bring myself to use such a large phone.

Lots of people use them; they're very popular.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
i am curious to why people buy the notes. i was in the store the other day and i just don't understand why and who are buying the samsung notes.

I would say people who prefer a larger phone.

Perhaps you should further define what exactly you don't understand.

I'm on the fence to owning one. I'm tempted to buy one, precisely because the phone is larger. I'm so entrenched with iOS (using iWork, iCal, Address book, iTunes, etc) that its a huge transition for me. I've been on Android before, so I understand what I need to do.

Back on topic, One size does not fit all, and so a larger phone meets the needs of some consumers.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I carry two phones, and with my personal phone I rarely make any phone calls, I do most of those on my iPhone. So my main use for my personal phone with unlimited data is to text, stream Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and HBO GO, surf the web, and play video games. All of those things are much better with a larger display. I also found the Note 2 to be the limit in size I want on a phone, any bigger and it would just be too uncomfortable to carry.

To be fair, if I could only carry one phone to do everything I would want a phone around the size of the Moto X. An iPhone with a 4.7" edge to edge screen would be sweet.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I carry my smartphone and a sketchbook / notepad with me most places ago. The Note 3 replaces two things with one....

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I love having a big screen to do things on. from texting, to internet usage, apps, games, videos.

I personally think it's useless having a small screen if you like to use the internet alot and feel the experience is better for gaming.

I love the fact on the note is the S pen. I use it alot on my note 8.0...using the S pen makes typing quickly so easier than normally typing wether it's for texting, or writing on forums or sending e-mails.

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
the reason i am asking is because i have a 2nd line unused and i was thinking of getting the note3. i have iPads i have the moto X and i was just trying to see i needed to get one .

NuggetSauce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012
I think those large phones are well suited towards people who don't use tablets, as it's a good compromise.

I'm fine with the screen size of my iPhone 5 because it's supplemented with my tablet. My phone is only used on the go, and I like that its slim and fits nicely in the smallest of pockets. When I am home on my couch or bed, the larger screen of the tablet is perfect.

Eth123

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2013
Simple, people who use their phone for the web/apps.

I have unlimited calls and texts on my contract but it wouldnt be unusual for me to use zero minutes and zero text in a month.

All my contacting is through apps and online. I therefore much prefer a larger screen.

I also carry around a nexus 7 with me but can leave that behind sometimes knowing I have a screen size like the note 2or 3.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I commute a lot on train and I used to use my Galaxy S3 and tethered my Nexus 7 and watched movies. I never use my phone for calls really - receiving - sometimes, making calls - hardly. So the Note ticks all the boxes. IF I get a call, I can take it - but I use it mostly as tablet. And no, I couldn't care less how silly it may look - besides, it is just a bit bigger than the S3/4 and the likes.

dingster1

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
MD
I'm looking at a Note so I can leave my iPad at home. I also rarely get or make phone calls, everything is texts(work nights) and emails.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I'm looking at a Note so I can leave my iPad at home. I also rarely get or make phone calls, everything is texts(work nights) and emails.

This is me as well.

Work emails the most during the week and then the internet for casual use. A larger device will be beautiful as my S3 has done me well but really looking forward to this larger screen.

Not sure I will ever use the S pen though which may be a waste.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
If I commuted on trains for hours a day, I'd definitely want a Note to surf on, load boxsets of videos onto properly and read Kindle books on.

The attraction is pretty clear, and also for women with handbags.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
If a phone doesn't fit in my pocket I don't consider it.
Holsters and clips are horrible and after a while can be uncomfortable and even painful.
If i was a female, then I might consider a note, but I'm not gonna go and buy a man purse just to hold my phone everywhere I go.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Holsters and clips are horrible and after a while can be uncomfortable and even painful.
If i was a female, then I might consider a note, but I'm not gonna go and buy a man purse just to hold my phone everywhere I go.

You must have the smallest jeans if the phone wouldn't fit in your pocket.

stevenlangley1

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009

My note 2 fits in every pair of pants i have, so I'm not really sure what the problem is.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
You guys must be NBA size or fat.

Maybe I should have added the words 'fit comfortable'...

This guy can explain it visually: (old video, but size is more or less the same)
YouTube: video

It's comfortable if you are standing, but when you sit the phone is too long and pushes against your hip, at times you feel like you might break it. Forget about driving and trying to pull it out of your pants.

I'm 5'10", 200lbs with a low bodyfat %, and no tight jeans here.

stevenlangley1

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
You guys must be NBA size or fat.

Maybe I should have added the words 'fit comfortable'...

This guy can explain it visually: (old video, but size is more or less the same)
YouTube: video

Nah I'm 5'11" 190lbs. I can understand that it might not be ideal or comfortable for everyone, but for me what little discomfort I experience with having it in my jeans is offset by my love for the device. But again that's just me and that's why it's great that there are so many options out there for devices.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's comfortable if you are standing, but when you sit the phone is too long and pushes against your hip, at times you feel like you might break it. Forget about driving and trying to pull it out of your pants.

I'm 5'10", 200lbs with a low bodyfat %, and no tight jeans here.

Thats the same for any phone you have though in fairness..

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Thats the same for any phone you have though in fairness..

What?!? I can have my ip5 in my front pocket and literally not feel like it's there, even sitting and driving. Something like a S4 I begin to feel a bit. Neither of those phones come anywhere near my hip.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down the Note 3, I am heavily considering buying it over the 5s in fact. I just think others should have the benefit of an honest review. There is some comfort loss, how much depends on the person. And as someone else said, it's a fair trade off with what you are getting.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
What?!? I can have my ip5 in my front pocket and literally not feel like it's there, even sitting and driving. Something like a S4 I begin to feel a bit. Neither of those phones come anywhere near my hip.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down the Note 3, I am heavily considering buying it over the 5s in fact. I just think others should have the benefit of an honest review. There is some comfort loss, how much depends on the person. And as someone else said, it's a fair trade off with what you are getting.

With the iphone 5 I would agree...anything over 4.8-5. yeah I'm sure you would notice it.

Donvald

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2013
Hmm.. I guess its something you get used to over time. I have my Galaxy Note 2 in a Zero Lemon case and put that in my pocket. it adds three times the thickness to the device, but it fits in my front pocket and although I'm conscious of it being there, I find it acceptable.

Without the zero lemon extended battery case, the note fits easily and I hardly notice it. However, I usually put mobile devices regardless of their size in my inner pocket (jacket) in any event.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.