Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The speech of Tim Cooke during the September 10 event, when introducing the new iPhone models, was like this:

“In the past we’ve lowered the price of the older iPhone, making it more accessible to new people. This year we’re not going to do that. This year, the business has become so large, that we’re going to replace the iPhone 5 with not one but two new designs. This allows us to serve even more customers.”

And then, two new iPhone models were released.

One is the iPhone 5s, which keeps the design of last year's iPhone 5, but has new features under the hood, such as a new 64-bit processor and the fingerprint identification. While the design hasn't changed, that was expected, and the iPhone 5s seems to be a true new product, fruit of real development.

The second one is the iPhone 5c, which is basically an iPhone 5 in a different package. OK, there is a slightly larger battery and it perhaps supports more LTE frequencies, but that's about it. And, of course, there's a cheap colorful polycarbonate exterior instead of the fancy metal one which covered the iPhone 5 (and the 5s).

Tim Cooke could only be joking when he said that Apple was releasing two iPhone models because the "business has become so large". iPhone's business is indeed huge. It's, by far, Apple's largest business, and it is arguably the world's most popular device. A multi-billion dollar business.

However, even being so large, Apple couldn't just develop two iPhones. No, Apple wouldn't take the time and effort for that. Instead, it developed just one new iPhone model, the 5s, and wants everybody to believe that the iPhone 5c - which is an iPhone 5 in a cheap desguise - is a brand new product.

It's a joke. A bad joke. Does Tim Cook want to fool us all? Has this multi-billion dollar business grown so much as to allow Apple to finally create a new exterior design for last year's product? Is that it? Why not create a brand new product, a lesser iPhone, but still a brand new one with brand new technology? Perhaps when the iPhone becomes a trillion-dollar business there will be budget for that?

Tim Cook just went up int the stage and told us "you idiots, just believe what I'm saying, and get impressed with the bright colors of these cheap plastic iPhones, which use the very same hardware of last year, and that we're selling for the price of gold. C'mon. Very disappointed here. No wonder why Apple's shares are falling.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
The speech of Tim Cooke during the September 10 event, when introducing the new iPhone models, was like this:

“In the past we’ve lowered the price of the older iPhone, making it more accessible to new people. This year we’re not going to do that. This year, the business has become so large, that we’re going to replace the iPhone 5 with not one but two new designs. This allows us to serve even more customers.”

And then, two new iPhone models were released.

One is the iPhone 5s, which keeps the design of last year's iPhone 5, but has new features under the hood, such as a new 64-bit processor and the fingerprint identification. While the design hasn't changed, that was expected, and the iPhone 5s seems to be a true new product, fruit of real development.

The second one is the iPhone 5c, which is basically an iPhone 5 in a different package. OK, there is a slightly larger battery and it perhaps supports more LTE frequencies, but that's about it. And, of course, there's a cheap colorful polycarbonate exterior instead of the fancy metal one which covered the iPhone 5 (and the 5s).

Tim Cooke could only be joking when he said that Apple was releasing two iPhone models because the "business has become so large". iPhone's business is indeed huge. It's, by far, Apple's largest business, and it is arguably the world's most popular device. A multi-billion dollar business.

However, even being so large, Apple couldn't just develop two iPhones. No, Apple wouldn't take the time and effort for that. Instead, it developed just one new iPhone model, the 5s, and wants everybody to believe that the iPhone 5c - which is an iPhone 5 in a cheap desguise - is a brand new product.

It's a joke. A bad joke. Does Tim Cook want to fool us all? Has this multi-billion dollar business grown so much as to allow Apple to finally create a new exterior design for last year's product? Is that it? Why not create a brand new product, a lesser iPhone, but still a brand new one with brand new technology? Perhaps when the iPhone becomes a trillion-dollar business there will be budget for that?

Tim Cook just went up int the stage and told us "you idiots, just believe what I'm saying, and get impressed with the bright colors of these cheap plastic iPhones, which use the very same hardware of last year, and that we're selling for the price of gold. C'mon. Very disappointed here. No wonder why Apple's shares are falling.

Very cynical post. If you don't like it don't buy it

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Wow. If the OP is a competitor, then sounds like Apple may have hit a nerve with one or both of these rollouts.

Otherwise, yeah, chill man, buy whichever one you like, or pass on the upgrade. Those are the usual choices we face in upgrade season.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Apple is a for-profit corporation. They are free to do whatever they want to try and maximize profits, including discontinuing the 5 and making the 5C instead to steer customers toward the better looking, more expensive 5s.

Don't like it? Don't buy it.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Very cynical post. If you don't like it don't buy it

Of course I'm not buying it. And I'm not buying Tim Cook's speech. Apple has all the freedom to release anything. If Tim Cooks wants to release bottled air and sell it for the price of gold, he may well do it. But I also have the freedom to come to this forum and complain about it, expressing my dislike. I'm not stopping Apple from selling it. I liked so many products Apple has released, and I praised them; but I also complain when I don't like something.

I just can't understand why people are so blind about Apple. When Nokia released their colorful Lumia phones, nobody gave a damn about it. And, indeed, there was nothing to write home about. But now everybody is just "wowed" by Apple's release of colorful iPhones. C'mon. It's just the old model in a plastic case. It's even cheaper for Apple to produce it. I doubt Apple will get away with this one.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
I have noticed ppl whining about iPhones are the people who can't afford it ;)

If they had not discontinued iPhone 5 they would have sold it at the same price. Would people have cried still?
People are whining just coz they expected a cheap ass iPhone and they didn't get it. You seriously don't expect them to sell last year flagship specs at half price do you? ;)

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Apple is a for-profit corporation. They are free to do whatever they want to try and maximize profits, including discontinuing the 5 and making the 5C instead to steer customers toward the better looking, more expensive 5s.

I'm not stopping Apple from releasing it. Apple may do whatever it wants. I also have the freedom to say that I don't like it. This is a forum to discuss Apple. Or is it just to praise Apple?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
5C has more frequencies. They can serve more customers.

Also although only slightly. It does cost less

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007

Does it sound like he is going to buy it?

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
I'm not stopping Apple from releasing it. Apple may do whatever it wants. I also have the freedom to say that I don't like it. This is a forum to discuss Apple. Or is it just to praise Apple?

Sure, but I also have the freedom to play devil's advocate and balance things out ;)

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
C'mon. Very disappointed here.

What would have turned that frown upside down? Would a bigger screen have done it for you? Go Android. The problem is your part of the spoiled generation of people who are never going to be happy and don't appreciate how far we've come in only a couple of years with smartphones. The fingerprint scanner blew me away. Yes, there's still a lot more to be done with it. It's obvious in couple years the scanner will be used for iCloud Keychain and hopefully eventually payments at stores. But of course you're probably not blown away or happy with the fingerprint scanner right? Probably a "gimmick" to you. Go Android.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
5C has more frequencies. They can serve more customers.

Also although only slightly. It does cost less

The iPhone 5C IS, indeed, a joke and was only launched to increase Apple's profit margins with a lower R&D plastic model/zero innovation compared to the iPhone 5.

As other people have already said, this is gonna be seen in hindsight as the moment where Apple's success has peaked - now it's all downhill from here.

Thanks to Cook, the world's best COO and NOTHING else, APPLE IS DEAD.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I have noticed ppl whining about iPhones are the people who can't afford it ;)

If they had not discontinued iPhone 5 they would have sold it at the same price. Would people have cried still?
People are whining just coz they expected a cheap ass iPhone and they didn't get it. You seriously don't expect them to sell last year flagship specs at half price do you? ;)

I have the iPhone 5 and will probably buy the iPhone 5s (despite the fact that it will sell for over US$ 1,000 here in Brazil). I'm not buying the iPhone 5c. I don't need a cheap iPhone, and I wouldn't buy it even for half of the price, but I have nothing against Apple releasing it.

But just take a look at the speech used by Tim Cook. This is what I'm talking about, and that's what I'm against. Did he have to say that the business became so huge as to allow Apple to release a new case for the old product? That doesn't make sense. If the business is huge, then develop two real new products. Otherwise, don't say it. Just release the cheap plastic iPhone and stop saying that Apple put so much effort on it, because it's simply not true. That was a very unfortunate speech.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Of course I'm not buying it. And I'm not buying Tim Cook's speech. Apple has all the freedom to release anything. If Tim Cooks wants to release bottled air and sell it for the price of gold, he may well do it. But I also have the freedom to come to this forum and complain about it, expressing my dislike. I'm not stopping Apple from selling it. I liked so many products Apple has released, and I praised them; but I also complain when I don't like something.

I just can't understand why people are so blind about Apple. When Nokia released their colorful Lumia phones, nobody gave a damn about it. And, indeed, there was nothing to write home about. But now everybody is just "wowed" by Apple's release of colorful iPhones. C'mon. It's just the old model in a plastic case. It's even cheaper for Apple to produce it. I doubt Apple will get away with this one.

Why are you so annoyed that other people enjoy the 5C? It's just as capable (with some improvements) as the iPhone 5, and is a decent amount cheaper with more customisation. I'm sure it'll be a big hit with people that don't care about having the very latest, fastest iPhone, and just want a reliable, quality phone :)

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
What would have turned that frown upside down? Would a bigger screen have done it for you? Go Android. The problem is your part of the spoiled generation of people who are never going to be happy and don't appreciate how far we've come in only a couple of years with smartphones. The fingerprint scanner blew me away. Yes, there's still a lot more to be done with it. It's obvious in couple years the scanner will be used for iCloud Keychain and hopefully eventually payments at stores. But of course you're probably not blown away or happy with the fingerprint scanner right? Probably a "gimmick" to you. Go Android.

I don't want a bigger screen, nor Android. I've tried Galaxy S4, and I couldn't use it for two weeks before I went back to the iPhone. And I actually liked the iPhone 5s and I'll probably end up buying one.

But Tim Cook could have spared words. Apple tried to put a desguise in the iPhone 5, call it "iPhone 5c" and market it as something revolutionary. It's not. Apple is simply banalizing the superlatives. Apple has simply done exactly what it did last year, and the year before that. Why did Tim Cook say they were doing something entirely different? Apple is a public company, why should their executives create such expectations that are simply not going to materialize? And then, suddenly, Apple's shares are down.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I agree with the OP. But then, I don't drink the Apple Koolaid. I'm an iPhone 5 owner.

While the 5c is still an iPhone it's the iPhone 5 in a plastic case. Some people seem to like and be ok with plastic. Not me, I will stick with my all aluminum/glass iPhone 5 which is also black, a color I prefer. Black, by the way seems to be entirely unavailable in the iPhone 5c.

On another note, an article I read this morning makes it clear to me that Apple has started (probably unknowingly) class division among iPhones.

The moment someone takes out their plastic colored iPhone 5c everyone is going to know they sprang for the cheaper iPhone instead of the 5s. Take that further and find out who sprang for the lame color.

My iPhone 5 is not the 5s. But at least it's not plastic.

And no. I have ZERO intention of ever purchasing an iPhone 5c.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
And it really surprises you? Apple has been using old tech in "new" hardware for a long time. For instance, the latest and flagship iPhone always sports the latest processor while the latest iPad gets the X version of it. The iPad mini, though the A6 had been around, got the 5X. New iPod Touchs also only get the predecessor of the latest CPU. And the iPads don't get the latest camera tech either, the retina iPad 3 came with the iPhone 4's camera.

But really, none of those devices is useless just because they got older hardware. They all run just fine with what they've got. So, IMO, while it's not exactly satisfying for tech nerds, the hardware still does its job.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Why are you so annoyed that other people enjoy the 5C? It's just as capable (with some improvements) as the iPhone 5, and is a decent amount cheaper with more customisation. I'm sure it'll be a big hit with people that don't care about having the very latest, fastest iPhone, and just want a reliable, quality phone :)

I'm not annoyed by the iPhone 5c per se. It's actually a good product. I'm annoyed by Apple's speech of trying to make every tiny change a huge deal. When Apple released the MacBook Pro with a retina display, that was a huge deal. An achievement in terms of development and technology. I loved it and I bought one for myself. But then Apple changes the color of the iPhone 5 and then it wants to market it as if it had re-invented the wheel. Just release the cheap colorful iPhone 5c and stop calling it "beautifully, unapologetically plastic".

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
I'm not annoyed by the iPhone 5c per se. It's actually a good product. I'm annoyed by Apple's speech of trying to make every tiny change a huge deal. When Apple released the MacBook Pro with a retina display, that was a huge deal. An achievement in terms of development and technology. I loved it and I bought one for myself. But then Apple changes the color of the iPhone 5 and then it wants to market it as if it had re-invented the wheel. Just release the cheap colorful iPhone 5c and stop calling it "beautifully, unapologetically plastic".

they could just not market it i guess?

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012

The problem with the lumia colorful phones and iphone 5c is lumia didn't have iOS
In my opinion iOS makes everything better
I had a nexus 4 and went back to iPhone because of iOS
If the galaxy s4 had iOS I would buy that also
iOS is just amazing

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
~snip~ I just can't understand why people are so blind about Apple. When Nokia released their colorful Lumia phones, nobody gave a damn about it. And, indeed, there was nothing to write home about. But now everybody is just "wowed" by Apple's release of colorful iPhones. C'mon. It's just the old model in a plastic case. It's even cheaper for Apple to produce it. I doubt Apple will get away with this one.

Not everyone is wowed (obviously). However, from the standpoint of someone owning a 4 or 4S, the 5C is certainly not "a joke" as your thread title would have it, and even if 5C is "the old model in a plastic case" (which it's not), it's still new for the 4 or 4S owner.

On doubt that Apple will "get away with it": now we're to the real wonderment, aren't we. I bet a lot of Apple competitors are wondering this even if they don't phrase it like that. But if they are thinking as you do, that the 5C is like an old lady in a new dress, they are missing the point for every poential customer who does not have any smartphone, or who has a 4 / 4S or older iPhone.

Yes, those potential customers might decide to step up to the 5S. But that is not to say the 5C offers them nothing. It's a valid choice.

Think with new mind. See with new eyes. The dew on any ol' spiderweb at sunrise is a marvel every morning, if you're not just focused on whether you're going to get your feet wet again while going for the newspaper. So to some of us, that 5C is no joke and not some old model of anything; it's a completely novel product and we're pleased to be able to buy it.

Bargle

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
The only people angry are plastic case makers because now apple is drinking their milkshake.

Everyone wanted personalized colors, that's what people are clamoring for. Most people don't care about 64 bit or 5" screens, they want a pretty phone that "just works".

The iPhone case market is worth 400M dollars per year, of which apple previously got nada, zero, zilch market share. People were--are! Wrapping their beautiful metal phones in cheap plastic boxes.

IOs7 that can change screen color to match case? Check
Customizable phone colors? Check
Über customizable cases? Check.
Reason to buy not one, but multiple cases? Check.

Mate.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.