Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 15, 2013, 02:58 PM   #1
E3BK
macrumors 65816

Apple Trade-In Program, AT&T Service, TMO Unlocked 5S

I looked around the forum but don't think I've seen this particular combo of questions. haha.

So from what I understand, the Apple Trade program requires that you use the credit towards a new device that must be activated in-store. Correct?

TMO is the only one, so far, offering an unlocked device. (Not sure if that whole asking for an AT&T phone off-contract thing will work anymore.)

I have AT&T service that I would like to keep. I have a nano-SIM I would be able to use in a new 5S (upgrading from 4S).

So if I take my 4S, get a trade in amount of say...$200 (just a guess). Can I apply that to the new TMO unlocked 5S and then put an AT&T SIM in there to activate it? Or am I required to activate it on TMO?

I know I could just buy the TMO and walk out, call AT&T to activate the new SIM but I'd really like to take advantage of the trade in. Whew. Why can't things ever just be easy? lol
E3BK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:36 PM   #2
617aircav
macrumors 68030

If you are buying an unlocked device at full retail they can't force anything on you.
617aircav is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 04:39 PM   #3
CEmajr
macrumors 68030

Swift unlocks is already selling 5S AT&T unlocks for $10. Just trade it in and get the AT&T 5S and then get it unlocked yourself.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:11 PM   #4
E3BK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
Swift unlocks is already selling 5S AT&T unlocks for $10. Just trade it in and get the AT&T 5S and then get it unlocked yourself.
It's a thought but I just want to confirm that they can still do it w/ the 5s when they become available. it would save me $ for sure since I could get it on contract which I don't have a problem with. I just need to be able to use it overseas when I travel!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
If you are buying an unlocked device at full retail they can't force anything on you.
Yes but the question is can I get trade in value on the 4S and use it towards the purchase of a new device. From what I understand, you can only get trade in value/credit if you buy a new phone and activate it at the same time. If the device is the unlocked TMO and I need the service on AT&T, will they allow it? Or does it have to be activated w/ the carrier of record? I hope not.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:03 PM   #5
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3BK View Post
TMO is the only one, so far, offering an unlocked device.
Where did you get that information? T-Mo's iPhone 5's purchased from a T-Mo store were ALL locked to T-Mo (they will unlock them after a month or two of ownership). If you buy one from Apple direct it will not be locked. I assume the 5S will be the same.
TB07-NJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
I have AT&T service that I would like to keep. I have a nano-SIM I would be able to use in a new 5S (upgrading from 4S).
If you have a 4S you have a micro SIM, the 5S uses a nano SIM
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:41 AM   #7
E3BK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB07-NJ View Post
Where did you get that information? T-Mo's iPhone 5's purchased from a T-Mo store were ALL locked to T-Mo (they will unlock them after a month or two of ownership). If you buy one from Apple direct it will not be locked. I assume the 5S will be the same.
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s

See the "Unlocked and Contract Free" section.

It's the information readily floating around and acknowledged by Apple & TMO. They may release a non-carrier handset but I did say "so far."

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
If you have a 4S you have a micro SIM, the 5S uses a nano SIM
I am very well aware of what SIM I have in my phone. As an international traveler, I purchase them often. And an AT&T nano SIM can be purchased, as I've already done, which is what I was referring to. Just need to activate it.

Again, the question isn't if I can do one or the other of the above steps, it's if they can all be done together in order to take advantage of the trade in.

Last edited by E3BK; Sep 17, 2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:57 PM   #8
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

That's exactly what I said. If you BUY IT FROM T-MO it will be locked, if you buy it from APPLE it will not be locked.

Quote:
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s

See the "Unlocked and Contract Free" section.

It's the information readily floating around and acknowledged by Apple & TMO. They may release a non-carrier handset but I did say "so far."

Old Sep 18, 2013, 07:31 AM   #9
E3BK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB07-NJ View Post
That's exactly what I said. If you BUY IT FROM T-MO it will be locked, if you buy it from APPLE it will not be locked.
You have missed the entire point of this whole thread but thanks for playing.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Jack Dangers
macrumors regular

Quote:
I looked around the forum but don't think I've seen this particular combo of questions. haha.

So from what I understand, the Apple Trade program requires that you use the credit towards a new device that must be activated in-store. Correct?

TMO is the only one, so far, offering an unlocked device. (Not sure if that whole asking for an AT&T phone off-contract thing will work anymore.)

So if I take my 4S, get a trade in amount of say...$200 (just a guess). Can I apply that to the new TMO unlocked 5S and then put an AT&T SIM in there to activate it? Or am I required to activate it on TMO?

I know I could just buy the TMO and walk out, call AT&T to activate the new SIM but I'd really like to take advantage of the trade in. Whew. Why can't things ever just be easy? lol
I'm in a similar situation. I'd like to trade in my 5 for a 5s but would prefer an unlocked phone. I guess you can sign up for a t-mobile pre-paid plan there and just cancel it when you leave. It might set you back 50 bucks though but you do take advantage of the trade-in I suppose. Or I guess I can just buy it unlocked and w/o trade-in and use a service like Gazelle to unload my 5 and save the 50 bucks. I guess it comes down to convenience.
Jack Dangers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:05 AM   #11
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You have missed the entire point of this whole thread but thanks for playing.
I've missed it too.
If you have AT&T and want to stay with AT&T then why are you even bringing up TMO?
Gjwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:21 AM   #12
Jack Dangers
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjwilly View Post
I've missed it too.
If you have AT&T and want to stay with AT&T then why are you even bringing up TMO?
From my understanding the TMOB iPhone 5s is the only one that unlocked out-the-box. If you buy a phone and activate it with ATT in-store (take advantage of trade-in program), then it will be the version which is locked to ATT's network.

I think the biggest concern with the OP is taking advantage of the trade-in program which has a stipulation that it can only be used with in-store activations.
Jack Dangers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:45 AM   #13
E3BK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dangers View Post
From my understanding the TMOB iPhone 5s is the only one that unlocked out-the-box. If you buy a phone and activate it with ATT in-store (take advantage of trade-in program), then it will be the version which is locked to ATT's network.

I think the biggest concern with the OP is taking advantage of the trade-in program which has a stipulation that it can only be used with in-store activations.
Thank you for your reply. Thank you for reading it through. And you are correct with my concern and what you stated is what I was afraid of. I priced my 4S on the Apple site through the PowerOn program and got a $220 quote for it so I think I'll just do that.

Many thanks, Jack.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:19 PM   #14
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dangers View Post
From my understanding the TMOB iPhone 5s is the only one that unlocked out-the-box.
Just to clarify. If you buy a T-Mo iphone 5/5s from T-Mo it is LOCKED to T-Mo (but they will unlock it eventually for you) however If you buy it from Apple store direct it is UNLOCKED. Same phone. Same phone as ATT. Just depends on where you buy it and the agreement they have with Apple.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone