Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
Hello Folks, dear iMobile users,

after a long and quite desperate wait for the new shiny iPhone 5S (gold or not), I was eventually heavily disappointed last Tuesday.

The new iPhone 5S doesn't offer as much improvement over the previous models as many people/fans anticipated.

The screen size remains the same!
I understand that not everybody would be happy with a "phablet-size" screen, due to single hand usability sacrifice but making it at least slightly wider to get to 4.5 - 5 inch display size would have pleased a lot of us.

Home button is still a tactile button, which you can press so eventually it will break/mailfunction after 1000 presses. I find it obsolete, since the fingerprint sensor and the metal ring around are already enough to detect a finger

Camera specs are also slightly disappointing. Despite the bigger pixels, the chip resolution could have been increased as well. You can also merge pixels to reduce noise in low light conditions via software

NFC? No? :mad:

64bit CPU: OK, but why not a quad core?

No stereo speakers... I know I'm probably the only one who cries about it...

But the worst thing, among with the tiny display, are the terrible new colors! No slick black, simple white or just bare aluminum but GOLD and Space Grey... ewww.

Thus I decided to wait for the iPhone 6 and skip the 5S. In my desperate hope that the 6th model will finally get a bigger display size.

How much longer do we have to wait for the iPhone 6?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I have an iPhone 4 in my hand right now that's 3 years old so well over 1000 button clicks and still functioning perfectly.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011

after a long and quite desperate wait for the new shiny iPhone 5S (gold or not), I was eventually heavily disappointed last Tuesday.

The new iPhone 5S doesn't offer as much improvement over the previous models as many people/fans anticipated.

I understand that not everybody would be happy with a "phablet-size" screen, due to single hand usability sacrifice but making it at least slightly wider to get to 4.5 - 5 inch display size would have pleased a lot of us.

Home button is still a tactile button, which you can press so eventually it will break/mailfunction after 1000 presses. I find it obsolete, since the fingerprint sensor and the metal ring around are already enough to detect a finger

Camera specs are also slightly disappointing. Despite the bigger pixels, the chip resolution could have been increased as well. You can also merge pixels to reduce noise in low light conditions via software

But the worst thing, among with the tiny display, are the terrible new colors! No slick black, simple white or just bare aluminum but GOLD and Space Grey... ewww.

Thus I decided to wait for the iPhone 6 and skip the 5S. In my desperate hope that the 6th model will finally get a bigger display size.

I would say September 2014 and rumour pics will start from Jan 2014. :D

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I am impressed by the upgrade but it misses my need for more battery life and a larger screen so I'm sitting this upgrade out.

TrashCan

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
Sweden
Do you think that apple will double the resolution, if they put a larger display on the iphone 6? A double resolution in that case would be 2272x1280, about 18% higher than full HD.

I think this is the reason why they havent allready increased the size of the display.

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
Do you think that apple will double the resolution, if they put a larger display on the iphone 6? A double resolution in that case would be 2272x1280, about 18% higher than full HD.

I think this is the reason why they havent allready increased the size of the display.

The mess started with the introduction of iPhone 5 screen resolution... It is beyond me why apple decided to stick with a new odd resolution rather than FullHD. All apps had to be converted to a new resolution anyway.. so why not make it right in the first place?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

NFC is doa.
Quad core why?
Name 1 app that uses more than 2 cores on android?
Technically The 5S has 4 cores.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
It's an s model, pretty much what I expected. My only disappointment is them not upping the storage on the base model, they are just getting to greedy at this point. I'm waiting on the 6.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

A few things:

Screen size is all a matter of preference. I prefer the 4" and had no issues with readability on the 3.5". That's not to say I wouldn't buy it if they were to increase it slightly. Anything over 4.5 seems excessive to me.

Why do you need a quad core processor? What applications are you using that the current processor can't handle? Or is it just so you can tell your Android using buddies that they don't have a technical advantage? My iPhone 5 handles animations smoother than any Android phone I've seen regardless of the size of its processor.

I still have all of my previous model iPhones and none of them have shown degradation is the functionality of the home button. The sleep/wake button is a different story.

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
I always had issues with readability on iPhones, my iSight is dated. For a long time Android devices didn't offer much additional benefit than just a bigger screen size, but time changes and apps are getting better on them too.

Why quadcore? I noticed a performance decline when running lots of apps on my iPhone simultaneously.

If your home button still works... then you must have never spilled coffee or coke over your phone. :p

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
I always had issues with readability on iPhones, my iSight is dated. For a long time Android devices didn't offer much additional benefit than just a bigger screen size, but time changes and apps are getting better on them too.

Why quadcore? I noticed a performance decline when running lots of apps on my iPhone simultaneously.

If your home button still works... then you must have never spilled coffee or coke over your phone. :p

Except you are not running lots of apps simultaneously, and they are not taxing your CPU at all, so performance issues of that kind are impossible.
And BTW, who said A7 wasn't a quad core soc? No one but Apple knows that yet. Add to all that a fact that iPhone 5 (yes a year old phone, with "only" a dual core A6) is as fast or faster and definitely smoother than all Android (2013) devices (for ex. in web browsing, game playing (graphics are better, and game play smoother etc.)), and you can see why are people annoyed when other wine about quad core processors.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
I don't care about the quad core CPU. Thats like getting excited about the 64-bit CPU; its cool to talk about but irrelevant right now.

The lack of NFC is very annoying. NFC is not doa, in fact it is getting widely deployed in Asia, the largest growth market in smartphones. For Apple to hold out much longer would be suicide.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I don't care about the quad core CPU. Thats like getting excited about the 64-bit CPU; its cool to talk about but irrelevant right now.

The lack of NFC is very annoying. NFC is not doa, in fact it is getting widely deployed in Asia, the largest growth market in smartphones. For Apple to hold out much longer would be suicide.
Well for one we are in America, The deployment is not the issue, Actual real-world usage is the issue, People are just not using NFC enough for it to be Relevant.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
kip the 5S. In my desperate hope that the 6th model will finally get a bigger display size.

Uh you do realize that the iPhone 5 was the 6th model right? Next years iPhone will be the 8th model.

I would like a slightly larger size, say 4.5, but its not going to stop me from getting the 5s. I get all of them so when they do go larger I will go for that one too, but right now I am going to keep using whatever the best iPhone available is.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
I don't want a bigger screen. I want more battery life and faster overall performance. The 5 is still a great phone and gonna hold out till the next generation.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Well for one we are in America, The deployment is not the issue, Actual real-world usage is the issue, People are just not using NFC enough for it to be Relevant.

First, thats a very self centered point, but I should point out that Apple already generates more revenue outside of America than it does within. I'd get used to playing second fiddle if I were you.

Second, China Mobile is rolling this out for banking, buses, subways, retailers, etc... They have 740 million subscribes. Even if only 10% of of them are using it in 3 years that is more than half of the entire smartphone user base in the US.

Resist it all you want, it is coming.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I got confused with numbers...

But you do realize that not everybody can afford getting a new iPhone yearly. :eek:

I have one of my two lines eligible every year so I just sell my old phone and it more than pays for the new one. I do realize though that not everyone is in a situation to be able to do it.

OMAC83

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2013

Ha that's a joke, my two yr old daughter presses my home button 1000 x a day and still working like new

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan

You should have said that people in the United States are just not using NFC enough for it to be relevant in the United States.

NFC is widely used and very relevant outside of the US. And the rest of the world is where the majority of Apple's business takes place.

The United States is an important market, but it's not the most important market to Apple.

Last edited:

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia

Including me. I think Apple really missed the mark on this feature, but I am more expecting it to come with the iPhone 6 as the s-series of phones are usually just a spec bump.

I totally agree with the whole button thing, and I believe it's also what's holding back a bigger screen size in some ways. Apple could quite easily get an extra inch out of this phone if they just decreased the upper and lower bevels, and widened the phone a little. This would please most camps IMO, as the phone hasn't really grown that much in size.

The jury is still out on this one. For the size of the camera, the iPhone does a pretty good job. I would hate for the iPhone to have an ugly camera lens bump, especially like the Nokia Lumia 1020

NFC, never used it on any of my smartphones. Not enough support for it I have found. 64bit > Quad Core

I would like Stereo Speakers. I like the sound on the HTC One. Is there enough room to do it without bringing them to the front? No idea...

Rumours will start next year but don't hold your breath for a lot of the above. If Apple sales of the 5c and 5s are bad then you may see some fruition of the above, but otherwise I doubt it.

I still hope and pray that the iPhone 6 is bigger. My eyes squint looking at my iPhone 4 screen, I have to resort to reading glasses sometimes. I can read perfectly the screens I have on my Lumia 920 and Galaxy S4.

Not all smartphone users are young people. :D

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Uh you do realize that the iPhone 5 was the 6th model right? Next years iPhone will be the 8th model.

I would like a slightly larger size, say 4.5, but its not going to stop me from getting the 5s. I get all of them so when they do go larger I will go for that one too, but right now I am going to keep using whatever the best iPhone available is.

Actually it isnt.

Mk1, Mk2, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 5C

Theres been 9 iterations I know of not counting network speciffic versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.