Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
I have an iPhone. I have a Macbook Air. I have Messages set up to work through both of them.

If I am in a group message (with two other iOS users / iMessage) - when I respond on my Macbook Air, for some reason it makes an all new chat. But to the people I am chatting with - it comes through just the same.

Any idea what is causing this?

macfanfromCHI

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
I have an iPhone. I have a Macbook Air. I have Messages set up to work through both of them.

If I am in a group message (with two other iOS users / iMessage) - when I respond on my Macbook Air, for some reason it makes an all new chat. But to the people I am chatting with - it comes through just the same.

Any idea what is causing this?
Having a sorta similar issue. Did you ever figure it out? I believe the issue is with emails vs phone #s

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Having a sorta similar issue. Did you ever figure it out? I believe the issue is with emails vs phone #s

My apologies on the delay in responding! If I remember correctly - the issue was resolved by making sure that all of my devices were sending out iMessages from the correct phone number / email.

For example - my iPhone was sending out iMessages from my cellular phone number, but my iMac or my Macbook Air was using my email address.

When I made sure that everything was sending from the correct address, I think it all resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.