Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Well, I was setting a few custom wallpapers and set one as the lock screen. Only to find out, that will you receive a push notification, iOS 7 blurs the wallpaper making it utterly pointless!

And no. If I turn the screen off then back on, it does not cause the blur effect to go away. It will stay like this until you view the message(s).

Disappointed. I had to go back to a stock photo.

image.png

DariusX

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Well, I was setting a few custom wallpapers and set one as the lock screen. Only to find out, that will you receive a push notification, iOS 7 blurs the wallpaper making it utterly pointless!

And no. If I turn the screen off then back on, it does not cause the blur effect to go away. It will stay like this until you view the message(s).

iOS 7 's emphasis is on content, and they are doing this through translucency. So no I don't see how it's "pointless" as it prevents any surrounding distractions and allows one to focus on the notifications. If you like to stare at your phone's wallpaper all day, feel free to go android.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

It's not a bug, it's so you focus on your notification. Just pull down notification center really quickly, and pull it back up and it will be gone.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
It's not a bug, it's so you focus on your notification. Just pull down notification center really quickly, and pull it back up and it will be gone.

Yes, I know it's not a bug. Hence the quotations around the word "bug".

----------

iOS 7 's emphasis is on content, and they are doing this through translucency. So no I don't see how it's "pointless" as it prevents any surrounding distractions and allows one to focus on the notifications. If you like to stare at your phone's wallpaper all day, feel free to go android.

Okay... because when people set their own wallpapers, they want it to be blurred out. No, no, you're right. What would be the point of adding your own wallpapers then? To look at a blurred picture? Most lock screens usually always has notifications on it. I love apple probably just as much as you, maybe more, but are they ever wrong in your eyes?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Say your wall paper tells a story in words or something, Wouldn't that make it difficult to read the notifications word over the words of the wallpaper. They made it blurred for a reason.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Say your wall paper tells a story in words or something, Wouldn't that make it difficult to read the notifications word over the words of the wallpaper. They made it blurred for a reason.

Okay, but again. A lot of the time your lock screen has notifications on it. It would make your wallpaper useless the majority of the time.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
So no I don't see how it's "pointless" as it prevents any surrounding distractions and allows one to focus on the notifications. If you like to stare at your phone's wallpaper all day, feel free to go android.

Been able to focus my attention on notifications just fine without blurring. All this polish and fit & finish is fine to a point, but when you start taking away core functionality (viewing of a lock screen wallpaper) you're crippling the OS. Granted some users may find it helpful - if you have ADHD.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Been able to focus my attention on notifications just fine without blurring. All this polish and fit & finish is fine to a point, but when you start taking away core functionality (viewing of a lock screen wallpaper) you're crippling the OS. Granted some users may find it helpful - if you have ADHD.

the core functionality of the lock screen is to unlock your phone, see the time, control your music, and view notifications... not to stare at your wallpaper. that's what the photos app is for.

DariusX

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013

You can call people who prefer the blur ADHD all you want, but at the end of the day, this feature is here to stay, who's the biggest loser now?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like that's pretty much it, and if you have notification center enabled on the lock screen (and certainly not everyone will) you can do that, otherwise, you'd probably need to check out the notification, or at least unlock the screen to make it all "go away".

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Why did they do this? Simple. Text readability (regardless of color) is very background-dependent. White text on a bright background is obviously difficult to read. Fortunately this was solved ages ago by simply adding a drop shadow or some sort of texture/backdrop 'between' the text and and the background. But Apple wants to go super-minimalistic! To the point of being counter-productive even. So they tossed conventional wisdom out of the window in favor of a much dumber "solution" (rather than obscuring only the part around the text, they obscured the whole wallpaper... bravo!)

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
All this polish and fit & finish is fine to a point, but when you start taking away core functionality (viewing of a lock screen wallpaper) you're crippling the OS. Granted some users may find it helpful - if you have ADHD.

I'm sorry what type of functionality does a wallpaper serve exactly? If I'm not mistaken the first iPhone didn't even have the ability to set a wallpaper (if I'm not mistaken).

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
One option might be to disable "notifications view" and "today view" on the lock screen (Settings -> Notification Center -> Access on lock screen heading) if you always want your wallpaper to display.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Dude, they are notifications. Read them and move on. If you want to leave them as a reminder, there's an app for that

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

lol.

pull down for notification center and back up and you will see the wallpaper again.

iOS6 would darken the wallpaper significantly to display the notification clearly, but this resulted in dark bars and areas of bright wallpaper which isn't as clean as the iOS 7's implementation.

You can get rid of the notifications in two swipes so you can see your wallpaper again.

bpp85

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Europe
If you don't like it swipe down the notification centre and put it up again, that's what i do, it's not a problem :D

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
OK

1-Can we stop calling things a "bug" when it is clearly not a "bug". This is a design choice. You can agree or disagree but it is clearly NOT a "bug". And putting it in quotation marks doesn't sudden change the meaning of the word.

2-As others had said, as soon as you clear out your notifications from the screen, you are back to your regular background.

3-Who needs to constantly look at their wallpaper? Are you forgetting what you assigned there? Are you bugged when it shows Now Playing or the Battery when charging?

Do you know where the wallpaper sits? In the background! You aren't supposed to be focused on it. It is supposed to be something you put in the background to make your device unique. Blurring it shouldn't alter that unique-ness.

I'm sorry but this seems like a complete non-issue.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
lol.

pull down for notification center and back up and you will see the wallpaper again.

iOS6 would darken the wallpaper significantly to display the notification clearly, but this resulted in dark bars and areas of bright wallpaper which isn't as clean as the iOS 7's implementation.

You can get rid of the notifications in two swipes so you can see your wallpaper again.
If you don't like it swipe down the notification centre and put it up again, that's what i do, it's not a problem :D
Not every one has or wants to have notification center enabled on the lock screen.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Not every one has or wants to have notification center enabled on the lock screen.

...then they will have to unlock their phone and relock is to see wallpaper again

not ever single aspect of the phone can be customizable towards every individuals tastes.

sometimes we just have to deal with things not being exactly the way we would like them to be.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Why does it clear when you pull down the notification center anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.