Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1
super tomtendo
macrumors 6502a

An unfortunate wallpaper "bug" for iOS 7 lock screen

Well, I was setting a few custom wallpapers and set one as the lock screen. Only to find out, that will you receive a push notification, iOS 7 blurs the wallpaper making it utterly pointless!

And no. If I turn the screen off then back on, it does not cause the blur effect to go away. It will stay like this until you view the message(s).

Disappointed. I had to go back to a stock photo.

Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:33 PM   #2
DariusX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super tomtendo View Post
Well, I was setting a few custom wallpapers and set one as the lock screen. Only to find out, that will you receive a push notification, iOS 7 blurs the wallpaper making it utterly pointless!

And no. If I turn the screen off then back on, it does not cause the blur effect to go away. It will stay like this until you view the message(s).

iOS 7 's emphasis is on content, and they are doing this through translucency. So no I don't see how it's "pointless" as it prevents any surrounding distractions and allows one to focus on the notifications. If you like to stare at your phone's wallpaper all day, feel free to go android.
DariusX is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:

It's not a bug, it's so you focus on your notification. Just pull down notification center really quickly, and pull it back up and it will be gone.
Tyler23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:36 PM   #4
super tomtendo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
It's not a bug, it's so you focus on your notification. Just pull down notification center really quickly, and pull it back up and it will be gone.
Yes, I know it's not a bug. Hence the quotations around the word "bug".

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusX View Post
iOS 7 's emphasis is on content, and they are doing this through translucency. So no I don't see how it's "pointless" as it prevents any surrounding distractions and allows one to focus on the notifications. If you like to stare at your phone's wallpaper all day, feel free to go android.
Okay... because when people set their own wallpapers, they want it to be blurred out. No, no, you're right. What would be the point of adding your own wallpapers then? To look at a blurred picture? Most lock screens usually always has notifications on it. I love apple probably just as much as you, maybe more, but are they ever wrong in your eyes?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

Say your wall paper tells a story in words or something, Wouldn't that make it difficult to read the notifications word over the words of the wallpaper. They made it blurred for a reason.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:44 PM   #6
super tomtendo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmanbaseball2 View Post
Say your wall paper tells a story in words or something, Wouldn't that make it difficult to read the notifications word over the words of the wallpaper. They made it blurred for a reason.
Okay, but again. A lot of the time your lock screen has notifications on it. It would make your wallpaper useless the majority of the time.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:48 PM   #7
SteveAbootman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusX View Post
So no I don't see how it's "pointless" as it prevents any surrounding distractions and allows one to focus on the notifications. If you like to stare at your phone's wallpaper all day, feel free to go android.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmanbaseball2 View Post
Been able to focus my attention on notifications just fine without blurring. All this polish and fit & finish is fine to a point, but when you start taking away core functionality (viewing of a lock screen wallpaper) you're crippling the OS. Granted some users may find it helpful - if you have ADHD.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:39 PM   #8
hlfway2anywhere
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAbootman View Post
Been able to focus my attention on notifications just fine without blurring. All this polish and fit & finish is fine to a point, but when you start taking away core functionality (viewing of a lock screen wallpaper) you're crippling the OS. Granted some users may find it helpful - if you have ADHD.
the core functionality of the lock screen is to unlock your phone, see the time, control your music, and view notifications... not to stare at your wallpaper. that's what the photos app is for.
hlfway2anywhere is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:46 PM   #9
DariusX
Banned

Quote:
You can call people who prefer the blur ADHD all you want, but at the end of the day, this feature is here to stay, who's the biggest loser now?
DariusX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:14 PM   #10
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Seems like that's pretty much it, and if you have notification center enabled on the lock screen (and certainly not everyone will) you can do that, otherwise, you'd probably need to check out the notification, or at least unlock the screen to make it all "go away".
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:18 PM   #11
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

Man, I'd hate to be this Mike guy that you are ignoring so much that you constantly have notifications from yet refuse to view the message.
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Illuminated
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Illuminated
Woe is me that you have to read a text. Read it, reply, then swoon over your wallpaper.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:20 PM   #13
pickaxe
macrumors 6502a

Why did they do this? Simple. Text readability (regardless of color) is very background-dependent. White text on a bright background is obviously difficult to read. Fortunately this was solved ages ago by simply adding a drop shadow or some sort of texture/backdrop 'between' the text and and the background. But Apple wants to go super-minimalistic! To the point of being counter-productive even. So they tossed conventional wisdom out of the window in favor of a much dumber "solution" (rather than obscuring only the part around the text, they obscured the whole wallpaper... bravo!)
pickaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:21 PM   #14
Armen
macrumors 68030

Quote:
All this polish and fit & finish is fine to a point, but when you start taking away core functionality (viewing of a lock screen wallpaper) you're crippling the OS. Granted some users may find it helpful - if you have ADHD.
I'm sorry what type of functionality does a wallpaper serve exactly? If I'm not mistaken the first iPhone didn't even have the ability to set a wallpaper (if I'm not mistaken).
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:48 PM   #15
T-Will
macrumors 6502

One option might be to disable "notifications view" and "today view" on the lock screen (Settings -> Notification Center -> Access on lock screen heading) if you always want your wallpaper to display.
T-Will is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:58 PM   #16
Steviejobz
macrumors 65816

Dude, they are notifications. Read them and move on. If you want to leave them as a reminder, there's an app for that
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:01 PM   #17
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816

Quote:

lol.

pull down for notification center and back up and you will see the wallpaper again.

iOS6 would darken the wallpaper significantly to display the notification clearly, but this resulted in dark bars and areas of bright wallpaper which isn't as clean as the iOS 7's implementation.

You can get rid of the notifications in two swipes so you can see your wallpaper again.
joejoejoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:06 PM   #18
bpp85
macrumors newbie

If you don't like it swipe down the notification centre and put it up again, that's what i do, it's not a problem
bpp85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:25 PM   #19
Rogzilla
macrumors regular

OK

1-Can we stop calling things a "bug" when it is clearly not a "bug". This is a design choice. You can agree or disagree but it is clearly NOT a "bug". And putting it in quotation marks doesn't sudden change the meaning of the word.

2-As others had said, as soon as you clear out your notifications from the screen, you are back to your regular background.

3-Who needs to constantly look at their wallpaper? Are you forgetting what you assigned there? Are you bugged when it shows Now Playing or the Battery when charging?

Do you know where the wallpaper sits? In the background! You aren't supposed to be focused on it. It is supposed to be something you put in the background to make your device unique. Blurring it shouldn't alter that unique-ness.

I'm sorry but this seems like a complete non-issue.
Rogzilla is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:03 PM   #20
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post
lol.

pull down for notification center and back up and you will see the wallpaper again.

iOS6 would darken the wallpaper significantly to display the notification clearly, but this resulted in dark bars and areas of bright wallpaper which isn't as clean as the iOS 7's implementation.

You can get rid of the notifications in two swipes so you can see your wallpaper again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp85 View Post
If you don't like it swipe down the notification centre and put it up again, that's what i do, it's not a problem
Not every one has or wants to have notification center enabled on the lock screen.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 09:02 PM   #21
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Not every one has or wants to have notification center enabled on the lock screen.
...then they will have to unlock their phone and relock is to see wallpaper again

not ever single aspect of the phone can be customizable towards every individuals tastes.

sometimes we just have to deal with things not being exactly the way we would like them to be.
joejoejoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 01:35 AM   #22
snappyfool
macrumors 6502a

Why does it clear when you pull down the notification center anyway?
snappyfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 02:08 AM   #23
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyfool View Post
Why does it clear when you pull down the notification center anyway?
I guess it counts as you seeing it, and it still remains available in the notification center after that too.
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 03:14 AM   #24
snappyfool
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
I guess it counts as you seeing it, and it still remains available in the notification center after that too.
makes sense, cheers.
snappyfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 01:33 PM   #25
jutte64
macrumors regular

Turn off notification on lock screen. Problem solved...
jutte64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7