Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
US
My SO cracked the screen of my MBP and we couldnt find anywhere that would replace just the glass. They all wanted to replace the whole lid. He ordered the glass from ebay. This one specifically:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120852541140&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

He replaced it but not good enough. He forgot to wipe the glass before installing so there are some specks behind it and the right side is not flush. Im going to sell this MBP in the nearest future and i know it will be hard to sell with the messed up screen.

Are there any reasonable repair shops that can take off the glass and replace it properly in Atlanta? I saw some stores where i can send it but i would rather not. Help :)

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
You and your friend can try again to take it off, all you need is either a heat gun or hair driver and suction cups. If he got it that easy to take it off why not try it again?

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
US
You and your friend can try again to take it off, all you need is either a heat gun or hair driver and suction cups. If he got it that easy to take it off why not try it again?

i would rather have a professional do it this time :(

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
i would rather have a professional do it this time :(

It's not terrible to do it by yourself. Well, it kind of is. I replaced the glass on my late 2008 a long time ago. Broke the glass doing it, but with enough practice and decent tools I'm fairly confident I could do it better the next time around. The hardest part was making sure there wasn't dust in the glass before putting it on. Took me a good half hour wiping everything down and making sure it was dust free. The adhesive strips eventually wore out though. If you've done it before its just getting the dust out that is hard.

Sorry, cant help you finding a pro to do it. Someone on eBay probably has a service for broken glass though that might do it. Maybe make a reduced rate with them if you ask nicely, since you don't have to buy new glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.