Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Sep 15, 2013, 07:23 PM   #1
fraggot
macrumors 6502

Exclamation iMac Early 2009 Model Memory Upgrade

I work for a small publication and we use iMacs for our production department. I am currently running the newest iMac which runs just fine.

We have two other iMacs, one that is only 1 or 2 versions behind mine and the guy using it has zero problems with performance or anything. But the other one we have is the Early 2009 version model number MB417LL/A(basically the base model from that batch).

The iMac in question, the main software used is Photoshop CS6(for now), QuarkXPress 8.5, and sometimes Illustrator CS6(also for now). Well the user complains at times of sluggish performance and I feel like it's mostly a memory issue cause the CPU should be fine. Well my question is, would it be more beneficial to upgrade the iMac entirely or simply spend $60-80 to upgrade the memory to one of the 8GB kits out there?

If anyone would chime in, that would be very helpful!
fraggot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:05 PM   #2
bobtennis
macrumors newbie

I would think it would be most cost effective to do the memory upgrade first, before replacing the computer, if that's the alternative and the iMac is otherwise working OK. If nothing more, you should see an improvement in reducing the amount of memory caching to disk, and the ability to keep open more/larger files. I know that machine should be able to run CS6 "reasonably" well, I can't comment on Quark or Illustrator, as I do not own them. If you are using CS6, I would assume you are using OSX 10.6.8 or greater, as CS6 won't load on anything earlier.

Please see this site:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...009-specs.html

It states the iMac you have has 2gb of ram as standard, no question you should see improvement taking it up to the max 8gb. Make sure you obtain the correct RAM, DDR3 PC3-8500 1066Mhz RAM. Having only 2gb is an absolute minimum these days, and 8gb should show a good improvement. I always believed having the maximum amount of ram is a good investment, especially if you are using this machine for graphic arts purposes.

However, realize this machine will never be able to compete speedwise with your new iMac (whatever model), nor look as "good", as technology and features have improved greatly from 4-5 years ago, and you have an IPS screen, where the older iMacs used a TN screen with reduced viewing angle.

If after upping the ram to the max, you do not get enough improvement, then you should consider replacing the iMac with a newer, more modern model, but you will not have lost a great deal, and you will have also improved the resale value if you decide to sell. I don't see how you could lose much.
bobtennis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 02:48 PM   #3
fraggot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtennis View Post
I would think it would be most cost effective to do the memory upgrade first, before replacing the computer, if that's the alternative and the iMac is otherwise working OK. If nothing more, you should see an improvement in reducing the amount of memory caching to disk, and the ability to keep open more/larger files. I know that machine should be able to run CS6 "reasonably" well, I can't comment on Quark or Illustrator, as I do not own them. If you are using CS6, I would assume you are using OSX 10.6.8 or greater, as CS6 won't load on anything earlier.

Please see this site:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...009-specs.html

It states the iMac you have has 2gb of ram as standard, no question you should see improvement taking it up to the max 8gb. Make sure you obtain the correct RAM, DDR3 PC3-8500 1066Mhz RAM. Having only 2gb is an absolute minimum these days, and 8gb should show a good improvement. I always believed having the maximum amount of ram is a good investment, especially if you are using this machine for graphic arts purposes.

However, realize this machine will never be able to compete speedwise with your new iMac (whatever model), nor look as "good", as technology and features have improved greatly from 4-5 years ago, and you have an IPS screen, where the older iMacs used a TN screen with reduced viewing angle.

If after upping the ram to the max, you do not get enough improvement, then you should consider replacing the iMac with a newer, more modern model, but you will not have lost a great deal, and you will have also improved the resale value if you decide to sell. I don't see how you could lose much.
Thanks, I'll look into the memory upgrade cause I feel like the added memory will make a huge difference versus spending another $1,200 since I'm sure they won't want to anyways haha.
fraggot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Tags
2009 imac, memory, upgrade