Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akwilliams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Hi All,

Could someone answer a question for me please?

I am new to mac's and have bought a 27" mac with a 3Tb fusion drive.

If i was to partition the drive so i have 500gb with the OS and other apps etc and then create a partion of 2.5Tb, will there be any degredation of performance?

Is it something i should do or just leave it as one big 3Tb drive.

I like to keep things like video, music, documents etc on a seperate partiton for ease of navigation etc, but ill only do this if there it is not going to be detremental to the performance of the fusion drive.

Many thanks

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have the 3TB FD, and although I haven't partitioned it, I can't see that it would slow you down. The system "learns" the applications that you use most, and places the load files on the SSD side in order to speed things up.

Others here have created partitions and will know more, but I'd say you'd be okay.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say you'd not really see any performance gains and sticking with a single volume for your Fusion drive is what apple prefers.

akwilliams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
I'd say you'd not really see any performance gains and sticking with a single volume for your Fusion drive is what apple prefers.

Thats a good enough answer for me! Ill leave it as it is.

Thanks for the replies.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If i was to partition the drive so i have 500gb with the OS and other apps etc and then create a partition of 2.5Tb, will there be any degradation of performance?
Performance can suffer for a few different reasons. One is that only one partition would be a fusion drives. The second is that having 2 partitions on a drive can create extra head movement slowing performance. And there are other rather minor performance hits.

And putting stuff on a second partition doesn't actually make the navigation easier. It fact it can make it more difficult as you would now have to not only look at the folders under your home folder, you also have to look at what's on the other partition. Especially if you saved a document (for instance) on the wrong partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.