Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Australia
Hey guys,

I just had a question. I was wondering if anyone uses Dropbox to upload and backup their iPhone photos via the Dropbox app?

I'm asking because I would like to back my camera roll photos up on Dropbox but I'm concerned that by uploading them via the iOS app I will lose photo quality and exif location data etc. I've searched the Dropbox site and I can't find anything that mentions if the photos are kept exactly the same condition as they are in the camera roll on iPhone. Does anybody have any idea about this?

Many thanks.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
EXIF data is maintained and there is no compression. Dropbox does change the filename though, everything else is left intact.

Sean-in-DC

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
WHY does Dropbox "Camera Upload" rename iPhone photos ?!?

I find this annoying, and I'm amazed that I can't find much comment on this "feature." The new names make it impossible to integrate photos uploaded using Dropbox with photos uploaded earlier with other means, such as plugging the iPhone into a computer using the USB cable. Baffling!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.