Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terzinator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Just looked at the local CL (mpls), and a whole mess of 4S phones for sale show up every day, as folks try to get something for their old phones before the 5S/5C launch.

Most are asking around $300-350, but it doesn't mean they're selling fast or that people are getting that price. (Not like ebay where you can see if there's action!)

I've got one, myself, and I'm considering selling it to get a 5S -- but I might just wait out this saturated market. My 4S still runs great (just actually got a brand new one because of a weird screen issue), so I'm not all hot to get a new phone. (Although, if I sold my "new" one, it'll probably be worth more than a "used" one to someone looking for a 4S.)

I was all jazzed to get a 5S, but now I might just cool my jets until the furor dies down.

So, you in this boat yourself?

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I'm forced into the same situation. My contract doesn't end until mid-October and I need to change carriers. By then there should be fewer on the market, though demand may or may not have recovered. Still, when I upgraded to the 4S two years ago I had plenty of interest in the 4 I was selling, even though there were tons of them up for sale.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
What are the selling for? I kinda just wanna give it to the Apple recycle program since they are paying $215. If I only get $250 from CL, I'd rather avoid the headaches.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
Might be buyers market, but I've had some decent offers.

Ebay ones are going for over $350, especially if unlocked.

I always have to wait until launch week because I don't have a backup phone.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
This always happens at launch.

People are itching to get the new model and are (stupidly) willing to dump their current phone for far less than its value.

Thankfully, the games will be over soon and, if you don't absolutely need a new phone at launch, you'll land a much higher price if you were to wait another week or two to sell.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
This always happens at launch.

People are itching to get the new model and are (stupidly) willing to dump their current phone for far less than its value.

Thankfully, the games will be over soon and, if you don't absolutely need a new phone at launch, you'll land a much higher price if you were to wait another week or two to sell.

I can generally get my price during this week. I certainly have never given my phone away.

I see some in the $250-$300 range, but I'd never do that. Don't think I've ever sold for less than $320 (2 year old phone)...

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
What are the selling for? I kinda just wanna give it to the Apple recycle program since they are paying $215. If I only get $250 from CL, I'd rather avoid the headaches.

Why don't you take a look? Prices aren't always the same in different cities. If I was legitimately selling a phone I'd at least compare and contrast.

terzinator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Just bopping around ebay looking at completed listings... they're easily going for over $300, so that's good. (The better the photographs and description, the better the price. Always amazes me how crappy some of the listings and photos there are!)

I'll probably toss mine up there and see what happens. Maybe I'll try a $325 buy it now.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yeah the week leading up to launch and a couple weeks after are usually the worst times for trying to resell your phone because the market is totally flooded with older models. Wait a little while and the prices will go back up a little and then settle. It's a buyers market right now.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Everyone counting on a big payday for their used 4S will have to readjust. I'm not expecting more than $150 for mine in November. That nearly covers the subsidized upgrade to the 5S.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Everyone counting on a big payday for their used 4S will have to readjust. I'm not expecting more than $150 for mine in November. That nearly covers the subsidized upgrade to the 5S.

Just because you intend to settle for far less than what the device is worth doesn't mean everyone else should expect to as well.

The 4S still costs $450 new.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
My 4S is still on iOS 6.1. Should I charge extra for that because it's still possible to make it jailbroken? If so, by how much?

Also, I still have 6 months left of AppleCare+, should I tack on a few bucks for that?

DarkSel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
My 4S is still on iOS 6.1. Should I charge extra for that because it's still possible to make it jailbroken? If so, by how much?

Also, I still have 6 months left of AppleCare+, should I tack on a few bucks for that?

Both of those things are worthless to most buyers.

terzinator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011

Both of those things are worthless to most buyers.
I think the OS might be irrelevant, but if AppleCare+ is transferrable, knowing you have insurance for six months has gotta be worth something, no? (If you're any kind of sales person, it is!)

Yell0w

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008

Some people may still appreciate that there are these older versions for sale. You should just mention it in the listing in case there is a certain someone looking for the older jailbreak able versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.