Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the initial public release of iOS 7 slated for this Wednesday, September 18, signs of future iOS 7.0.1, iOS 7.0.2, and iOS 7.1 releases are all showing up in web logs. Their presence was noted by 9to5Mac and is also being seen in our own logs, showing visitors running those operating system versions coming from IPs associated with Apple. Our records are also showing a handful of visits via Apple's networks from devices reporting themselves as running iOS 8 starting at the very end of August.

While iOS 7.0.1 and 7.0.2 are expected to be minor bug fixes to the upcoming mobile operating system, iOS 7.1 could potentially bring a host of new features, similar to iOS 6.1 which brought LTE support for more carriers and Fandango Siri integration at the time.

iOS 7.0.1 visits from Apple's network began showing up in our logs as long ago as early August and began increasing significantly in late August, presumably as work on the version increased as Apple began locking down the golden master version of iOS 7.0.

ios_7_0_1_mr_apple.jpg
Visitors to MacRumors.com via Apple's networks from devices running iOS 7.0.1
iOS 7.0.2 is a much more recent appearance, with the first sign of it showing up in our logs coming last week just after Apple's media event. And iOS 7.1 has been the least frequently seen version among the three upcoming iOS 7.x versions seen by MacRumors, with a small handful of visits coming in early August before appearing with increasing frequency in late August.

The prevalence of all of the future operating system versions among visits from Apple's networks remains very low, so it appears that they have not yet entered widespread testing within Apple.

iOS 7 features a brand new design along with a number of new features, including a vast overhaul of multitasking with a new cards look, a new universal settings window known as Control Center, and a revamp of Notification Center that offers new daily overviews. The software will also come pre-installed on Apple's new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c devices, with owners of the iPhone 5s receiving device-specific features such as 64-bit support, Touch ID fingerprint sensing, and a several new camera features.

The golden master (GM) version of iOS 7 was seeded to developers last Tuesday following Apple's special iPhone media event. The software update will be available for free upon its release this Wednesday, and will be compatible with the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, fifth-generation iPod touch, iPad 2, iPad with Retina Display (third- and fourth-generation), and the iPad mini, along with Apple's new iPhones.

Article Link: Signs of Apple's Work on iOS 7.0.1, iOS 7.0.2, iOS 7.1, and iOS 8 Showing Up in Web Logs

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Just a guess, but I bet they know 7 will be a huge departure, and basically will be listening and seeing what is right/wrong with 7, in terms of user experience, and most likely will be fixing those issues in 8 almost in real-time.

Bryan

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
"With the initial public release of iOS 7 slated for this Tuesday, September 18.."
Emmm 18th of September isnt Tuesday? Or i miss something?

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Can't wait for iOS 8!

----------

"With the initial public release of iOS 7 slated for this Tuesday, September 18.."
Emmm 18th of September isnt Tuesday? Or i miss something?

In New Zealand, it would be Tuesday for us while it's Wednesday the 18th for them.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
It makes sense that they would be working on iOS 8 as iOS7 whichever way you look at was rushed to final. They got such a bad backlash for the lacklustre iOS 6 that something had to be done to revamp. The only one that does not make sense is 7.0.2 as generally point releases are bug fixes!

Now while I think they have done a pretty stellar job of revamping the feel and look, it does feel a little light on features. I think they wanted to give themselves more time so they can get loads of killer features for iPhone 6.

On the flip side it could mean they are moving back to a June release schedule.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
In going to have to call bs on this, anyone can spoof their phone to say anything, I have done it in the past easily. Also it would make no sense for then to work on iOS 7.0.2 before 7.0.1
due to them just putting all the bug fixes they find in 7.0.1 and then work on any bugs found afterward in 7.0.2.

These are Apple IP addresses.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
buggy out the gate...

Apple already knows iOS7 will be buggy out the gate, great. :rolleyes: This just means to me that it's probably best to wait a month or so to upgrade to iOS7 (if you're not buying a 5C or 5S that is) so Apple has time to work out the kinks.

Aug 26, 2008
Of course iOS 8 is being worked on. I'm sure they have plans for the next several versions. The internal road maps on these products surely stretch out at least 5 years ahead of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.