Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Aluminum213
macrumors 6502a

Can't believe how poorly optimized iOS 7 is for iPad

Biggest problem: lag and stuttering, something that has never been an issue now is seen throughout the iPad experience. I'm using an iPad 4, so there should be zero excuses for this, especially coming from such a buttery smooth experience. This is android level lag and poor optimization

Massive wasted space: why is the folder grid 3x3 like the iPhone? Last time I checked the iPad screen was a little bigger just take one look how pathetic the iOS music app is. Huge amounts of white space and what happens when you turn it over for landscape mode? MORE WHITE SPACE. They spent no time what so ever on many aspects on the iPad user experience
iPhone 5 | Black | 32GB TV (3rd Gen)
Aluminum213 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:05 PM   #2
lulla01
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lulla01
On my iPad 4 I have had lockups/resprings as well.

I do not remember any apple release since i first started using iOS to be this buggy

Then again none of the products with ios7 or ios7 itself have actually launched to the masses. So theres a chance apple has a day1 update or they are waiting to collect log data from everyone to fix things,.
lulla01 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:32 PM   #3
lympero
macrumors 6502

In addition Apple store has thousand of apps OPTIMISED for the ipad but they didn't even bother to optimize their OS specifically for the ipad.

I don't know why they don't understand that a blown up OS which was designed for a 3.5inch display does look very abysmal on the larde display of ipad. They even make fun of some android apps which are not optimised for large screen but their OS is terrible. Just can't understand it.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:37 PM   #4
Pressure
macrumors 68040

Works fine here, even better than iOS 6.

Could you come with specifics?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:39 PM   #5
ToniqR
macrumors member

If its lagging bad on your ipad 4, anyone have any experiences for an ipad 2 (the original one). I might hold off upgrading if it slows mine down even further, it's already showing signs of slowing as it is.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Paulywauly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniqR View Post
If its lagging bad on your ipad 4, anyone have any experiences for an ipad 2 (the original one). I might hold off upgrading if it slows mine down even further, it's already showing signs of slowing as it is.
i have the GM running on my iPad Mini (which is really just a small iPad 2 after all) Some animations aren't quite as fluid as they were running IOS6, but considering the sheer amount of effects e.g. transparency etc im surprised at just how little the performance has dropped. Unlike prior IOS upgrades in the past gaming performance does't appear to have taken any noticeable hit that i can see.

I'm surprised by others experiences here as your iPad 4s should blow the socks off the Mini. I wonder if its an issue with the version of IOS7.0 for that iPad 4 specifically, rather than all iPads
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Aluminum213
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Works fine here, even better than iOS 6.

Could you come with specifics?
The simple 5 finger close out of a an app is jerky. And that's not just me

There is no way it's better then iOS 6 for you when iOS 6 had zero slowdown of any sort on an iPad 4

Also, the long delay when changing wallpapers is highly reported

We are still on beta with iPad, the iPhone is significantly more stable
iPhone 5 | Black | 32GB TV (3rd Gen)
Aluminum213 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Pressure
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
The simple 5 finger close out of a an app is jerky. And that's not just me

There is no way it's better then iOS 6 for you when iOS 6 had zero slowdown of any sort on an iPad 4

Also, the long delay when changing wallpapers is highly reported

We are still on beta with iPad, the iPhone is significantly more stable
I don't know what to tell you, it is smooth here.

I don't change wallpaper (if ever) that often, so I haven't noticed that.

Suppose they need something to fix for iOS 7.1.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:14 AM   #9
MagicHAM
macrumors member

I havent had any lags as such with my ipad 4. At all. It has been pretty smooth , then again i don't do anything intense with it, except for light browsing, checking and writing email, and creating basic spreadsheets and presentations for business.

The only thing i hate is the translucent stuff, so i have that disabled that by enabling high contrast mode in the accessibility settings. Best thing I ever did.

Are people doing anything intense with the ipad to make it so laggy? Like keeping multiple apps open in the task and not closing them?
MagicHAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:24 AM   #10
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniqR View Post
I wouldn't risk it. Upgrading to 5.x ruined my iPad 1. The additional features weren't worth the performance hit (e.g., Safari crashing).
CoMoMacUser is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:34 AM   #11
Onimusha370
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMoMacUser View Post
I wouldn't risk it. Upgrading to 5.x ruined my iPad 1. The additional features weren't worth the performance hit (e.g., Safari crashing).
iOS5 ruined my ipad 1 as well. Still very angry/bitter about that
Onimusha370 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:53 AM   #12
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
I don't know what to tell you, it is smooth here.

I don't change wallpaper (if ever) that often, so I haven't noticed that.

Suppose they need something to fix for iOS 7.1.
We will see later tonight as there will be more experiences. So far with them being all over the place, you wonder if all iPad 4s were created equally!

Maybe doing a fresh load may have something to do with it but who knows. More later.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:01 AM   #13
bigcstyle4
macrumors regular

It is miserable on the 3rd generation iPad. Lags and stutters constantly.
bigcstyle4 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:14 AM   #14
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulywauly View Post
i have the GM running on my iPad Mini (which is really just a small iPad 2 after all) Some animations aren't quite as fluid as they were running IOS6, but considering the sheer amount of effects e.g. transparency etc im surprised at just how little the performance has dropped. Unlike prior IOS upgrades in the past gaming performance does't appear to have taken any noticeable hit that i can see.

I'm surprised by others experiences here as your iPad 4s should blow the socks off the Mini. I wonder if its an issue with the version of IOS7.0 for that iPad 4 specifically, rather than all iPads
Good to know as I have a Mini. There have been very very few experiences posted so far about the Mini running GM iOS 7 but those have been positive.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:16 AM   #15
ToniqR
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMoMacUser View Post
Hmm, thanks for the advice. I might leave then for now as safari is already crashing enough as it is. Updating my phone will keep me entertained anyway.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:31 AM   #16
Cyloncat
macrumors regular

On iPad 3, the betas were very laggy, but the GM is a lot better (not perfect).

The thing that has always differentiated the iPad from Android tablets was that Apple understood that the larger display space required rethinking how to organize apps and utilize the screen layout to optimize the user experience. Wherever Apple forgets this, it's going to hurt the usability of the iPad very badly. Music app, not optimize for iPad. Folders, not optimized for iPad. I'm sure there is more.

I agree about the music app; it's horrible. Album view is basically a song list with all the albums, lots and lots of scrolling to find anything. It only sorts by release date, which is pretty much insane for large collections, for classical, for any number of reasons actually. When playing an album, it gets to the end and goes right on to the "next" (by release date!); if I want to play an album, that means I want it to STOP at the end of the album.

I'll try again once iTunes 11.1 is out and i can sync to my music library, but if the experience continues to be this bad, I'll probably by a lower capacity iPad 5 and not bother to put music on it.

Long live the iPod Classic! It may be the only good music player in Apple's product line.
Cyloncat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:36 AM   #17
arcite
macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, sounds like Apple will be pushing out patches in the following days.

I have an iPad3 and plan to upgrade. Hopefully it won't be too painful.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:54 AM   #18
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

I'm going to wait to update my iPad 3 to iOS 7 until one or two OS updates are released. I've read mixed things but it seems that iOS is just a little behind when it comes to the iPads.

I wonder if this has to do with what iOS 7 has to upgrade over. Maybe the equivalent of a clean install would make for a better experience? Or is this not applicable?
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:16 AM   #19
RenoG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
I'm going to wait to update my iPad 3 to iOS 7 until one or two OS updates are released. I've read mixed things but it seems that iOS is just a little behind when it comes to the iPads.
^ this
I'm not going to lose my jailbreak until 7 has been perfected for the iPad.
In the meantime I'll rock it on my iPhone 5.
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:36 AM   #20
iMas70
macrumors 6502

This is what I came in here to look for. I guess I'll be waiting to update.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:00 PM   #21
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

Zero lag here on an iPad 2, 3, 4 or mini.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:16 PM   #22
Xeyad
macrumors member

I've been saying this since beta 2, when the iPad version arrived, iOS 7 for iPad is NOT READY YET. I've sent Apple feedback a few times, but it seems they ignored everyone's complaints, and released it anyways.

It's simply not optimized for the larger screen on iPad and iPad Mini. Some stock apps look totally blown up like Maps, Music, and Calendar; something they usually mocked Android for. Other obvious non-optimization include full screen Notification Center and Siri, with so much wasted space on the sides, multitasking only showing 3 apps at once like the iPhone version, and only 9 apps show up at once inside a folder. I'd rather have a folder that can only have 20 apps that are all displayed at once over a unlimited folder but show you only 9 apps at once. It's quite clear that Apple hasn't given much attention to the iPad version of iOS 7, and needs a rethink.

The other big complaint was the absolute terrible performance on iPad 2 and iPad 3. iPad 2 always had bad performance on iOS 7 betas, and never included any effects. iPad 3 on the other hand had effects on one of the betas with good performance, but now they removed all blur effects on iPad 3, and suddenly became all sluggish and jittery! iPad Mini and iPad 4 perform well, but still with some bugs.

I can't stress this enough. iOS 7 for iPad is clearly not ready. iOS 7 for iPhone is amazing, and will wait till Apple optimizes this OS for iPad, or wait for iOS 8.
Xeyad is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:22 PM   #23
RAPTORSKI
macrumors regular

Apple definitely hasn't paid as much attention to iOS 7 for the iPad. They will fix it sooner or later I am sure.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:23 PM   #24
doug in albq
macrumors 65816

Works pretty well on my ipad mini...happy camper here.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:23 PM   #25
AmandaMac
macrumors newbie

So ar so good on ipad 2
AmandaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad